PDA

View Full Version : Header Blueing

Licketty Split
08-07-2002, 09:20 AM
Just wondering if any one suffers from the tubes before the water injection getting VERY blue or black.

Licketty Split
08-08-2002, 01:25 PM
some one? Any one?

Bense468
08-08-2002, 01:46 PM
blue yeah. They have this stuff that the custom harley guys use to take it off. You have to rub pretty hard though and have to keep up. If it is to bad it won't help you much. You can bike it at most custom bike shops or harley stores.

Hotcrusader76
08-08-2002, 02:23 PM
Licketty Split:
some one? Any one?You are either running too rich or too much octane fuel. If I remember correctly, more octane than needed will burn off in your pipes...correct me if I am wrong with that last one...
-Ty

blowngas
08-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Hotcrusader76:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Licketty Split:
[qb]some one? Any one?You are either running too rich or too much octane fuel. If I remember correctly, more octane than needed will burn off in your pipes...correct me if I am wrong with that last one...
Normaly it is a lean condition or timing being too retarded that causes a high exhaust temp resulting in the chrome "bluing"

WETDAWG
08-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Hey LS,
Don't know much about the boobing :D (I mean blueing) But the harley guys seem to have some good stuff to keep thier pipes clean. Oh Yeah....Chrome covers.
Good Luck
WD :rolleyes:

77charger
08-09-2002, 06:10 PM
running rich will blue your headers lean will leave a green color on them,dry will blacken them.
It is normal to have blueing the first 5-7 inches on your pipes coming out of the cylinders.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-09-2002, 06:35 PM
how do you get the black off. my headers have some black. I used a buffer and jewelers rouge and it works a little. but it sure takes a long time though.

Kwicherbichen
08-09-2002, 11:32 PM
Try Eastwood (http://www.eastwoodcompany.com) they have a compound called "Blue away". It's item #13193 and it cost $12.99. I haven't used it so I can't tel ya if it works.

jet4fun
08-11-2002, 12:44 PM
even the paperwork when you buy a new set of headers from bassett say that your pipes will blue between the heads, and where the water injectors are, this is normal. if your pipes blue beyond the injectors it could be one of the problems listed above, or it may be that water is not coming through the injectors, if so check all your lines and your t-valve for clogging. the mist of water should start coming out of your pipes at between about 1500 and 2000 rpm's, and be dry at idle.
[ August 11, 2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: jet4fun ]

Licketty Split
08-13-2002, 06:30 AM
Thanks every body I guess I am worrying too much I have blued one set beyond recognition and paul at Bassett was nice enough to give me another set. (They have my vote for life) I just don't want to blow this pair.
Any one running a Crank Case evacuation system?
[ August 13, 2002, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Licketty Split ]

rmclague
08-13-2002, 11:17 AM
I agree with 77 charger.
I have yet to see a set of headers that did not turn blue between the heads and the water injectors.
You can't really see down there without really lookin hard and I don't let most people get that close to my boat.
Rob

Bense468
08-13-2002, 12:30 PM
I have yet to see a set of headers that did not turn blue between the heads and the water injectors.I have seen a set that was ran for 6 years with out a touch of blue on them. It is running alcohol though. Much cleaner and cooler burning. Running gas though I think you are right. One time I ran into this guy and he told me that his were like 4 years old. They looked brand new. I think they were brand new. He had no advise to keep them that clean so I don't by the 4 year old thing.

superdave013
08-13-2002, 01:25 PM
I think blue headers are sexy! I ran them dry and the injection was always fat at idle and mid throttle so they go blue real fast.
If anyone needs a nice set of pre blued bassets I have a set I don't need anylonger.

LVjetboy
08-13-2002, 01:37 PM
Bense, I think you're right about the alcohol thing. Then again, how often did he run? My guess is the line between discolor temp and not is very fine for us jetters. I did good until sucking a rock in the pump, then discolor very quick. But my timing is retarded (28) for NOS. So apparently more of a challenge. I'm thinking Bassett could offer an inside jet coat prep that would give more margin. TBC and all.
My question is, which condition gives more exhaust temp:
1) Retard as in 28 BTDC?
2) Rich mixture?
3) Lean mixture?
The guy you mentioned may've had perfect engine tuning (for exhaust temp that is) I'd like to see some experienced dyno guys answer this one. I know someone has a feel for this out there. Why doesn't Bassett post?? But everyone interested please have a wack. $600 a pop seems to suggest a market? Then there's Jim's injection controller, maybe a solution to this whole mess?
SuperDave, thanks for the sexy offer, got a pair already myself.
jer
[ August 13, 2002, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

djdtpr
08-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Superdave how much for the headers my buddy's broke and he might not get them fixed before laborday?

Bense468
08-13-2002, 03:34 PM
LVjetboy He runs the blown injected alcohol placecraft quite a bit. It is a 135+mph boat. Yet it is also the cleanest boats I have ever seen. He has rewarder headers and they are not jet coated. They are chrome. I think he has the thing dialed in perfect from what I heard and can see. WHat is this jims injection controller thing you are talking about?

Bense468
08-13-2002, 03:38 PM
It would be nice if they could line the inside of the headers with jet coat. Even if they did it just the first foot or so off of where they bolt to the heads. I would think if they had something like that the chrome would stay. I almost decided to have my headers jet hot coated. I need a new set. I am just going to ride it out though till I build my new boat.

superdave013
08-13-2002, 04:17 PM
djdplacecraft:
Superdave how much for the headers my buddy's broke and he might not get them fixed before laborday?100.00

djdtpr
08-13-2002, 04:43 PM
Cool he emailed u thanks.

LVjetboy
08-14-2002, 05:02 PM
Bense,
Jim's injection controller is an electronic device that controls water injection to the headers at a specific rpm...eliminating some of the guess-work associated with the t-valve that often leads to bluing. If you're interested contact Jim Lee on the "other" board.
Your comment on alcohol fuel was interesting because I ask a guy running alchohol at the drags in Dayton, Oh (a long time ago) how he kept his headers so shiney. He said he wipes them down regularly to keep the hand prints off. I figured this a bs answer (maybe not intentionally bs) and moved on to the next pit.
But I think egt is the key, and water injection is second, followed by other factors. Just seems to me, with a little ingenuity, and understanding the problem, we could fix this thing. TBC coating on the inside not that difficult or expensive?
jer