PDA

View Full Version : Sqeaking noise/Help

Taylorman
08-07-2002, 11:48 AM
I recently had a high pitched noise start on my boat when i come down to idle. It sqeals for about 3 seconds only when I go back to idle. It sounds like its coming from the pump area. Is not my alternator because I removed the belt and it still makes the noise. I was convinced it was the bearing or packing and I knew the bearing had never been changed so I pulled my engine and rebuilt the whole pump. Bearing, seals, gasket, packing and all. Ran my boat first time the f---ing noise is still there. I have good oil pressure so I don't think its anything internal in the engine. Any suggestions?

pb
08-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Taylor,
I was having the same problem, but my squeal persisted at idle for much longer than 3 seconds. I did the same as you with new bearing, seals, packing. I have not ran the boat yet since I just finished putting the boat back together. Hopefully this weekend. My motor is freshly rebuilt this year and highly doubt it is an engine problem. Did you check your u-joint when the motor was out? When it occured it was really hard to pinpoint the exact source of the noise. My engine builder even heard the noise while dialing in and asked what the F that was. The builder is a very honest guy and if he thought it was a motor problem he would have taken the proper actions to eliminate uneccesary damage. I will keep you posted on my results. Let me know if you find the problem.
Paul
BTW, which packing did you use. The old stuff I pulled had metal imbedded in it and quite burnt. The shaft even had a brown scorched look to it. I used the graphite impregnated packing this time. Thinking this could have been the source of the squeal.

1HOTGMCJET
08-07-2002, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure, guys, (and I'm sure as HELL no expert!!!), but my suspicion for both of you (PARTICULARLY based on pb's shaft comments before his rebuild) is that the packing glands are too tight (and/or the packing is bad), not allowing the water to create it's cooling "cushion" of water between the packing and the shaft - pb, the new Aggressor packing with the graphite WILL help the problem by providing lubricity, but if no water is allowed to cool the shaft, it will still overheat from the friction (heat) created - Just a thought - best of luck to both of you! :)

Taylorman
08-07-2002, 01:50 PM
I used the graphite packing as well. I did check my u-joints and they were very rough so I did change both of them. I just cant figure out where the noise is coming from. My shaft did not have burnt on it like yours but it had a little wear which is to be expected from a 25 year old boat that the pump has never been rebuilt in. :confused:

pb
08-08-2002, 04:41 AM
WOW! 25 yrs without a rebuild! Boy what a testimonial for jet drives. Sounds like you covered all bases for the pump rebuild. The only other thing you can do is to pull the motor and run it on a stand to see if it is an internals problem. I will bringing the motor back to the builder if mine continues, because I am positve my pump work is right on.
Paul

Froggystyle
08-08-2002, 09:14 AM
Actually, you could just remove driveshaft assembly and run the engine to eliminate that variable...

pb
08-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Hmmmm, even with an E pump with full bellhousing acting as the rear mount. Seems impossible to me. I will have to take a closer look tonight. I would have to unbolt the u-joint through the inspection plate and hope to have enough room left to remove it. Have you done this with an E pump before Froggy.
Paul

Bense468
08-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Do you have a cherry picker. Just liff the motor a little pull the bellhousing and take off the drive shaft. Put the bellhousing back on bolt motor up test it. I know it is a pain in the ass but it is a small price to pay to check it out, I think. You can rent a picker for like 20 bucks a day or let me know if you are close to me because I have one. Good luck.

Bense468
08-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Nevermind about loaning you my picker you are in IL.

Duane HTP
08-09-2002, 06:25 PM
On that small squeal when going to idle, don't overlook the possibality of a vacume leak on the motor.Duane HTP

pb
08-14-2002, 04:49 AM
Well, I ran the boat this past weekend. At initial startup everything was fine. I ran it for about a 1/ 2 hour and when I came back to idle the squeal was there again. Pulled up to a sand bar to have a couple of sodas and when leaving and for the rest of the day the squeal did not return.
I cannot figure where this is coming from.
Taylor, have you figured out your squeal problem?
Paul

Taylorman
08-14-2002, 03:57 PM
Not yet, will go out this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Lake Lifeguard
08-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Have you noticed if the angle of the nozzle effects the squeeking noise? One of our jets squeeks too when the boat is turned hard to starboard or it is in reverse. The mechanic checked all of the bearings, seals and the packing gland and everything is fine. We wrote it off to a quirk that is activated when the nozzle is restricted by turning or closing the clamshell thereby causing a pressure increase within the jet unit.

Taylorman
08-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Mine makes the noise when going straight. It does it no matter what Im doing.