PDA

View Full Version : Making a custom seat platform

diggler
06-07-2002, 10:17 AM
I just got the new seats for my 1972 Tahiti. I have to re-make the seat platforms and glass them in to the hull/floor. How to I easily go about cutting the wood to match the curvature of the hull?

mister460
06-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Take a big piece of cardboard and get it close. Then spray the hull where the wood is going to go with cooking spray. Put the carboard in place and then use that Great Stuff expanding foam sealer shit and fill in th gaps in the carboard. When it dries just pull it all away from the hull and you will have a perfect impression of the hulll. Simply trace onto wood and cut!! That might not be the easiest way but it works great. Takes little time as well.

diggler
06-07-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by mister460:
Take a big piece of cardboard and get it close. Then spray the hull where the wood is going to go with cooking spray. Put the carboard in place and then use that Great Stuff expanding foam sealer shit and fill in th gaps in the carboard. When it dries just pull it all away from the hull and you will have a perfect impression of the hulll. Simply trace onto wood and cut!! That might not be the easiest way but it works great. Takes little time as well.
Thanks so much!! I was going nuts trying to figure a way to cut the without messing it up!

Hydro-Thunder
06-07-2002, 12:25 PM
You could use a big compass and transfer like that. That is how I scribe things.

lakesmodified
06-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by diggler:
I just got the new seats for my 1972 Tahiti. I have to re-make the seat platforms and glass them in to the hull/floor. How to I easily go about cutting the wood to match the curvature of the hull?
Diggler, check out this web-page: http://www.eastwoodco.com
Go to their search function and type in "profile"
I bought one of these for A ROADSTER project I'm building, and it has become a priceless tool. Ivan
[This message has been edited by lakesmodified (edited June 09, 2002).]