PDA

View Full Version : What's your estimated performance loss with this pump

sidewound
03-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey Kids,
Just a question for the Gurus and the unknowing as well. Can you give me your estimate of the percent of performance loss with this A berk impeller and JC bowl in the condition they are in. After pulling the bowl and uttering a few choice ones I could stick a .032" feeler gauge in the wear ring gap. That thickness is pretty stiff too.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114My_boat_018-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114My_boat_012-med.jpg
I'm in the midst of a rebuild and was just interested in anyones opinion.
Peace Man
CESAR

miller19j
03-26-2003, 08:17 PM
First let me start off by saying that I am not an expert.
Now that we have got that settled. From the looks of your impeller you have a cavitation problem. It appears to me that you have heavy cavitation burns on the front surface of your impeller. The leading edge surfaces of your impeller also appear to be pretty badly chipped and deformed as well. Possibly the cause of your cavitation but I think that it is more likely a clearance problem. I think that your pump is loose.
You say that a .032 “ feeler gauge fits between the wear ring gap? Are you measuring between the wear ring and impeller or from the impeller front surface to the suction piece. The only real way to measure the wear ring clearance is with a large Caliper and preferably a snap gauge. Feeler gauges can easily fool you.
If it was my jet I would rebuild it. I would replace the Impeller and wear ring and Do a little clean up on the veins of your bowl.
I can’t really quantify how much performance you are loosing. But I am going to bet that if you rebuilt the jet you would notice the difference.
Just my 2 cents

malcolm
03-26-2003, 08:46 PM
All I can say is, it'll pump water!
My Jacuzzi with an 1/8th of an inch shaft play, hammered B impeller, and almost a 1/4 of an inch wear ring clearance still hit 50 mph with 200hp. Needless to say it's getting replaced this year.

77charger
03-26-2003, 09:02 PM
I am going to roughly say that you can keep your current speed but drop 300 rpms if you rebuild that thing.Will definitely gain in the holeshot dept too.(I am not an expert but have had an impeller like that)

sidewound
03-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the input.
The impeller is cracked on the keyway so it's defenitly getting replaced and the pump is going to get a rebuild, I'm still debating on having Duane at HTP do it or tackling it myself. He's cool and I understand he does excellent work. Cost consideration is pretty much my only real debate. He's offered to help me rebuild it myself. Pretty cool for a guy who makes his living building pumps huh? Hell just the cost of shipping is somthing to consider. Probably a C note anyhow.
Thanks for any and all input!!!!!!!!
Peace Man
CESAR

wideopen545
03-26-2003, 09:27 PM
i sent my pump and j housing to duane shipped it us mail cost was 70.00 from va to ks not too bad duane is a great person to work with good luck

76 Sleekcraft
03-27-2003, 07:39 AM
I sent mine from North Carolina to Duane. It was around 50 bucks I believe.
Have not run it yet, but the work looks great and he was great to deal with.

miller19j
03-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Rebuilding yourself is pretty easy if you are mechanically inclined and it will save you money. Especially if you can get advice and support from the expert that offered.
In my opinion you need a few specialized tools to do it, or you will have to take the parts to a machine shop to have them brought into tolerance (not a big task). A big (12 in) caliper is a must in my opinion, to measure and check clearances.
You could buy the parts and just bolt it together and probably be fine but I think that you would be happier if you had everything machined to bring the clearances where you want them. I put a link up to the description of my rebuild that I posted on HavasuDoug’s site. I would post it here directly but some smart ass would debate my methods for days.
Good luck
Brad
My Jet Rebuild (http://www.havasudoug.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=5a4210b04a8c4f52ab68fefbe73eb786;a ct=ST;f=3;t=8)

sidewound
03-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Brad'Thanks for the link.
I am still mulling over what to do. You had good information. It doesn't look that complicated. The cost factor is defenitly a consideration. Less $$$$=COOOOL!!! Thanks again for the info.
Peace Man
Cesar