PDA

View Full Version : Time To Paint Need Help !!!!!!

Kamakazi Ken
08-18-2002, 08:19 AM
After hours and hours of sanding I am now ready to paint my boat. I have a few questions and any response will help me greatly.
1)Do I have to use marine paint or can I use automotive paint
2)Gelcoat? I know it is better, but my friend helping me paint it has many years exp. painting cars and some boats but has never used gelcoat
This is my weakest subject so any one with some experience in this area please give me your advice,
Thanks, KK

johnnybgoodman
08-18-2002, 09:34 AM
You're friend has enough expierience to shoot the Gel. He'll need a High Volume, Low Pressure sprayer though. All he'll need to do is watch the flow rate. If you choose to use the automotive paint, (and you can just use automtive paint.) just ask the guy at the counter, and follow the directions. You shouldn't have any problems. I just finished painting my boat. It was also my first time, and it was my first time painting anything. If I had the time and money, I would Gel Coat. I will in two seasons. I learned quite a few things. Sealer. Pay for it. Use it. It will make you're color coat even. I didn't. I'm sorry I didn't. (splotchy spots) Prime everthing evenly. Two stage paint.
I will live with my imperfections for a few seasons, and chalk them up to expierience. I was also on a budget, and my boat IS shiny and red! Good Luck!
Johnny

Kamakazi Ken
08-18-2002, 10:20 AM
Johnny, Thanks for your input, This is the first time for me also.
KK.
eek! eek! eek!

zigspi 1
08-18-2002, 08:00 PM
yes you can use automotive paint preferably only on top of your boat, i just painted a boat use an imron or a high quality urethane product, sand your gelcoat down with a400 wet, use an epoxy primer the stuff is tuff , use two med coats it could take up to 24 hrs to cure and then 400 wet and then shoot your color . whatever you do dont use a base coat clearcoat i wouldnt on a boat . and with the urethane you can always wet sand and change your color around or add different stripes, i also have used gelcoat when you mix the two parts you have limited time 15min or it gel up right inside the gun. i hope this helps

Kamakazi Ken
08-18-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks Zig, Any one else out there with any info all responses are welcome.
Thanks Again,
K.K. eek! eek! eek!

squirts
08-18-2002, 08:29 PM
You can use automotive paint ( its a lot easier) but for a clear coat I use Imron 333 and put a little pearl in it. Imron is some tuff stuff to work with if you can but some acclerator for the Imron and it helps cut down the dry time. Then get ready to start sanding again. Good luck!!

Kamakazi Ken
08-18-2002, 08:49 PM
Thanks Squirt, The more the better. This is my first "custom" paint job and I've gotten so many different ideas from the local guy's that conflict with each other that I am having a hard time knowing what is the right way to go.
But, having missed this year on the lake, I know come next summer I'll be cruzin again with a completly "new" boat I will be smileing again.
Thanks
K.K.
eek! eek! eek!

Kwicherbichen
08-19-2002, 04:49 AM
Maybe Jet Boat Brian could give us a class on boat painting 101?

RENEGADE454
08-19-2002, 08:17 AM
Well, here it goes, Ive painted two jeat boats so farand they have held up exceptionaly well. One was black with camealon flames and checkers and one was whaite with red and yellow flames.
I use atuomotive paint, same stuff I paint bikes with. PPG DBU base coat clear coat.
I prime with expoxy primer DP90. Fill any rough spots with K36 and sand. Then shoot the color (DBU)just like you would on a car. Do your graghics and clear(concept 2002),sand,clear,sand till you get it smooth as you want. this stuff is tougher than hell and holds up great. I did top and bottoms. Just another idea Good Luck!!

Kamakazi Ken
08-19-2002, 02:08 PM
Thanks 454,
Just laid the last piece of fiber glass in the engine area today will paint in the next week or so.
K.K. eek! eek! eek!

johnnybgoodman
08-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Hey Ken,
I used single stage paint on my boat, (likeZigspi1 suggests)and like I said, I'm not terribly disapointed with the results. BUT, if I had the money to spend again, and I will in a few seasons, I'd gel coat. Also with an HVLP system the gel wont set up. That happens when you try to use it in a gravity feed (let me say siphon) gun. (the air mixes with the gel?.?) Talk to the guy at the paint store, and you're buddy who is a painter. Take thier advice, not our's. I wish I had.
Good luck
Johnny

Kamakazi Ken
08-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Just talked to him today and I guess he knows his sh**, becuase he gave me a complete list!!! Of all kinds of stuff that I need.
After talking about the suggestion here he thought a very good quality enamal paint ( we are planning to use a white base with purple trim and maby a little yellow. The white and purple would be put on first, then a good clear coat and wait 30 days to add the yellow accents and clear coat again. ) He is planning to feather the purple into the white. (He said he did this on a Harley recently and it looked great(red into black) then we would add the yellow acccents'
How does this sound? Sounds good to me but again this is my first baby.
To be honest I've often thought while I have sanding "hours and hours" RINO LINER " might be the answer.
Thanks for the info,
KK eek! eek! eek!

Kamakazi Ken
08-23-2002, 07:55 PM
KK. eek! eek! eek! =Bewilderment!