PDA

View Full Version : Rhoads Variable Duration Lifters???

LiquidJ
09-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Does anyone run Rhoads Variable Duration lifters in there mills. I am thinking about putting these in my 454 rebuild. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks

MoparSanger
09-03-2003, 12:51 PM
I used the Crane ones, they are just like the Rhoads. The cam was 240/250@.050" on 110Âșlc. They will give you more idle Vacuum and less over lap. Worked good in my boat till the valve broke :mad:

AZKC
09-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Used them in cars before to help with vacuum issues and automatic cars that I did not want to run high stall convertors that had big cams.
Not sure if you would need them in a boat unless you had a vacuum or idle problem/issue.
Why do you think you need them?
KC

XClutchboy725
09-03-2003, 07:28 PM
LiquidJ:
Does anyone run Rhoads Variable Duration lifters in there mills. I am thinking about putting these in my 454 rebuild. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks Post your cam specs! That will help.

Duane HTP
09-03-2003, 07:44 PM
They are a waste of money in a jet boat. Jet boats don't have an idle issue. They work nice in an I/O or a V-Drive where you need your idle low to shift into gear. Hell, let the cam bark at you. That's half the fun.

LiquidJ
09-04-2003, 06:22 AM
The main reason I was considering them is to keep the RPM's down at idle or low speeds. The "Law" up here were I boat has been cracking down on loud boats (I guess WI people don't understand loud fast boats) burningm . They like to hang out in no-wake zones, so I figured lower RPM's...quieter boat. So it is strictly a noise issue. Plus wanted to tone it down for the neighbors. Personally I like a loud, hard, slow idle that sounds like the engine is going to die at any time. Have not picked a cam yet so do not have specs. My builder is deciding on one this week.

Blown 472
09-04-2003, 06:24 AM
LiquidJ:
The main reason I was considering them is to keep the RPM's down at idle or low speeds. The "Law" up here were I boat has been cracking down on loud boats (I guess WI people don't understand loud fast boats) burningm . They like to hang out in no-wake zones, so I figured lower RPM's...quieter boat. So it is strictly a noise issue. Plus wanted to tone it down for the neighbors. Personally I like a loud, hard, slow idle that sounds like the engine is going to die at any time. Have not picked a cam yet so do not have specs. My builder is deciding on one this week. mufflers

LiquidJ
09-04-2003, 07:15 AM
Hey Blown had a great time on Sat. Will be out there again this Sat. hope to see ya. I am going to try and muffler the pig, but my engine is so close to the transom, that I know I don't have room for in-line mufflers. If I can find something to put in the tips I will. Just thought the lower RPMs couldn't hurt.

Blown 472
09-04-2003, 07:17 AM
I will be there, no jello shots or beads thou, tha little man will be along, dont need to splain to mom bout that stuff.

Duane HTP
09-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Well, if you must have the Rhodes lifters, I have a brand new set still in the box for a 454 chevy. $50.00 will buy them. First come first serve.
Duane HTP

sleekster
09-05-2003, 11:13 AM
i run rhoads lifters in my 454 my thought was i would be able to run a larger cam for top end
and maintain a reasonable idle for control around the dock, also eliminate stumble caused by not enough velocity to draw fuel off idle. so far no complaints.

Duane HTP
09-05-2003, 08:03 PM
The Rhodes lifters are sold. Thanks, Guys