PDA

View Full Version : 1ST JET BOAT , HELP!

maddago
09-28-2002, 09:05 PM
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST JET. IT'S A 72 BAYLON WITH A 455 OLDS AND A BERKLEY JET. IVE OWNED SEVERAL STERN DRIVES, BUT IM NEW TO THE JET SCENE.ANY POINTERS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!HOW DO YOU KEEP THE BERKLEY PROPERLY LUBED ETC.

TripleThreat
09-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Is it a Baylon or Bayon boat you own? I own a 20 foot Bayon mini-day here in Redding, CA. Bayon custom boats were built here locally up until 1994, then they went under. Where are you located?
There should be two plugs in the bowl that you should make sure are filled with 90wt gear oil. There is also a zerk fitting at the front of the pump that you use to fill with Marine grade grease, if it needs it.
Take care.

homeblt86jet
09-28-2002, 10:30 PM
I allways grease mine every time I take it out... and you should change your bowl oil," or at least check it", twice a season.. and on your grease zerk, use high preasure , high temp grease. its more exp. but your pump will last longer......Glad you got a jet and welcome to the boards. :D :D

Omega21
09-28-2002, 11:15 PM
Maddago-
First, welcome to the world of jets & the boards! Second, glad to see someone else from Coeur d'Alene on here, I thought I was alone! Lastly, if you'd like some help, don't tell my wife what we're doing and call my cell phone. I live by the Silverlake mall :-) 964-6110
Todd

maddago
09-29-2002, 07:55 AM
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE GUYS. IMISS TYPED EARLIER, THE BOAT IS A BAYON NOT BAYLON. IT SEEMS TO BE AVERY WELL BUILT BOAT IT IS A 21 DAYCRUISER. TODD,I WILL PROBABLY BE GIVING YOU A CALL. WE LIVE OVER BY ROSE,LK,ID SO WE SPEND ALOT OF TIME ON THE RIVER, WE NORMALY WIND UP AT CARLIN BAY ON SAT NIGHTS, MY WIFE IS NOT EXACTLY THRILLED WITH THIS BOAT,SHE ACTUALLY WANTS ME TO PUT MUFFLERS ON IT ! NO WAY!! I'VE ALWAYS RUN SMALL BLOCKS, WHAT'S A GOOD WEIGHT OIL TO RUN IN THE 455?

maddago
09-29-2002, 08:13 AM
HEY TT, I JUST LOOKED AT MY REGISTRATION, MY BAYON IS 20FT ALSO,THE BOAT IS CHERRY! CAN YOU TELL ME ANYMORE ABOUT THESE BOATS? THIS IS THE FIRST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN. UP HERE IN N IDAHO WE DON'T HAVE ALOT OF CALIFORNIA BUILT BOATS. THANKS.

maddago
09-29-2002, 08:24 AM
MADDAGO HAS MOVED TO THE SHOWER.. THIS IS HIS WIFE! CAN YOU GUYS GIVE ME ANY POINTERS AS TO HOW I CAN MAKE MYSELF SOUND MORE LIKE A 455(OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED). HE MENTIONED ONE OF HIS INTERESTS IS A "REDHEAD" (WHICH I AM) BUT I THINK THE NEW JET IS WINNING! EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE COULD YOU TELL HIM TO GO GREASE HIS WIFE SO SHE KEEPS RUNNING SMOOTH. ARE YOU ALL CLOSE TO 40 YEARS OLD?

malcolm
09-29-2002, 09:15 AM
Haha! That's one of the funniest things I've read on these boards. My wife says try painting some flames on your chest. I'm not sure how you would go about sounding like a 455, but if you figure it out let my wife know. Can't speak for Todd, but we're both 32.

Omega21
09-29-2002, 10:03 AM
malcolm...I'm thirty..you're an old man :-) I never wanted my wife to sound like a 455 either...probably because my 455 sounded pretty sick the last time it was out.
Honestly, I think running the CDA river is a godsend for the locals. No cops, not a lot of people, tons of little beaches here and there. I just did a floor up Fern Creek Rd in Rose Lake & was always irritated that I couldn't find a ball to fit my work van to take the boat with me.
Anyway, feel free to call whenever. I'm babysitting the kid today. But he's got a car seat :-)
Todd

TripleThreat
09-29-2002, 10:34 AM
Maddago,
Here are a few pictures of my boat. These were taken about 3 months ago. I bought the boat, jet pump (stainless steel impellar), and trailer for 500 bucks! I built the BBC 402 for it. Before these photos were taken, the boat had not seen water for over 16 years! I have put many hours into this boat since then, and will be painting it this winter.
I was able to track down the owner of Bayon custom boats, he lives here in town. But haven't talked to him about the boats yet. Just from rebuilding this boat, I know it is laid up pretty thick. This is no race boat anyhow. The molds are still in town here as well. Talking to some of the old timers around Lake Shasta these boat were built very well (I concur). I am very happy with how the boat handles the chop and turns. VERY STABLE. Can you post some pictures of yours? Would love to see it! Does it look similar to mine? Take care. jasonadavis@charter.net
http://webpages.charter.net/triplethreat/images/jet/boat_primered.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/triplethreat/images/jet/interior1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/triplethreat/images/jet/boat_sideview.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/triplethreat/images/jet/pass.jpg

maddago
09-29-2002, 11:08 AM
TT GREAT LOOKING RIDE! LOOKS VERY MUCH LIKE MINE. MY SEATING IS SET UP DIFF . MORE OF A LOUNGE SET UP,I HAVE SEATING FOR SIX,ENCLOSED ENGINE COMPARTMENT ETC, SOMEOME HAS ALREADY DONE A COMPLETE RESTO ON IT. THREE COLOR PAINT COLOR MATCHED INTERIOR, LOTS OF STAINLESS!! I'LL POST PHOTOS SOON.

lilrick
10-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Hay man, take the caps lock off!

malcolm
10-01-2002, 06:06 PM
It does make it look like SHOUTING! doesn't it. :D

Omega21
10-01-2002, 09:22 PM
Alright alright alright...give him a break...
He's from Idaho... :-)
Todd