PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

bout tyme
06-07-2003, 08:47 AM
"Bout Tyme" The name says it all!I should of got one of these things a long time ago.High stress job=low stress time off needed.
Ok, got a factory stock 460/320 hp berk jet pack.I thinking of the following 1st mods; K&n filter,Pertronex igniter II,Edelbrock performer rpm intake and cam kit(.556/581 and 234/244@ .050") any advise appr.
It's a big 21' mini day with alot of beer,people and stereo onboard.Used to wake board and simply cruise!Will update carb later

BK
06-07-2003, 10:14 AM
If your going from a stock (rv type) cam to that one you'll need to make sure you have the proper springs as well? I would also do the timing chain/gear set while your at it and im not sure about Ford valve trains but isnt it non adjustable like the Olds motors? If so thats probley gonna be too much lift for that type of setup, I think the max lift is around 500? Just a couple thoughts, im sure someone who knows more about Fords will help more than me.

mister460
06-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Should work fine with the right springs. As long as you check for coil bind/valve guide interference you'll be alright. I suggest getting heads with adjustable rockers (C8,C9, D0 castings) or have your heads converted, if they aren't already. Remember, BB Fords like a lot of carb. I'd start with a 750 or bigger. And DEFINITELY without question grind those damn thermactor lumps out of your exhaust ports. You'll pick up a lot of power just from that alone. What heads are on it now?

TX Daytona
06-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Erson makes two cams for jet boats a JB100 with 228 IN / 240 EX @ .050 and 542 lift on both sides
112 Lobe Center. JB200 with 235 IN / 240 EX @.050 and 542 lift on both sides. I have used them and liked them alot. Remember that if your building it for a cruiser full of people and their stuff you want to build a torque monster, not a high RPM race motor. Good luck

oldphart
06-09-2003, 05:58 AM
I havent had a lot of luck with the pertronics stuff. when they let go your stranded. If you use them or a unilight be sure to use a resistor ahead of the coil as a spike filter or carry a spare unit. My personal preference is a MSD 6al, Blaster 2 and billet dist. This has proven bullet proof on both my boat and race cars. This thing will fire your plugs and rarely foul one. the RPM limiter is nice for pump cavitation or your sons using the boat.

bout tyme
06-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks much for all of the help. Haven't even had the valve covers of yet and i'm a small blk chevy guy in the auto world. Will look into the type of heads and possible port/cleaning up of exh. ports.
Thought about MSD but was trying to save some cash and the stock dist was so clean hated to just toss it.
I will buy one of those cams mentioned. Great stuff. Thanks gentlemen

Heatseeker
06-09-2003, 10:30 AM
I know of a few people running the Petronix(we've been running two of them in a houseboat for three years without touching them since installation), all without any problems so far. I think it's an inexpensive way to get away from points.