PDA

View Full Version : need help

tahitijet
06-19-2002, 10:25 PM
i have to order a new fuel gauge and was wondering how do tell what ohm sending unit i have the tank?
thanks

Cheyenne19
06-20-2002, 07:51 AM
If you have access to a voltmeter you can probably read the ohms. A car shop would have one and probably wouldnt charge you for the 45 seconds it would take to do it. Also when you buy a new guage, you can buy a new sending unit, they are pretty cheap, I think autometer is like $25-$45. You can buy a guage for a universal sender that will work, just be sure to know the dimensions of your tank, like size, sending unit hole diameter, and depth. Call jeg's they can help you with a new one, that is assuming you cant find a voltmeter.
c19

tahitijet
06-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Thanks I have a volt meter but for some reason i don't get a reading on it. I tried jegs already the guys exact words were "how the f**K would i know". I am now a summit customer from here on out.
thanks agian

Cheyenne19
06-20-2002, 05:43 PM
I cant believe they said that. I believe you I just cant imagine someone in the service industry having that attitude, they were very helpful with mine. If you are going to run an autometer gauge just ask jegs for the universal sender. I think it is around 240 ohms. I dont know why you are not getting a reading. Maybe it is broke or you are not hooked up right.
c19

tahitijet
06-20-2002, 05:53 PM
I do belive the sender in the tank may be no good. The ones in the tank now are about 2.75" dia. and have 5 bolts around the outside with a screw in the middle for power. does that mean anything to anyone?
thanks

Oldsquirt
06-20-2002, 06:34 PM
Tahiti, most likely your sending unit is a 240-33ohm unit. Couple questions. What year is the boat? Bow mounted tank or twin saddle tanks? What brand gauge is currently in the boat? Why are you replacing gauge?
If you can remove the sending unit, here's how to test it. Connect neg lead of OHM meter to the mounting flange and pos lead to the wire terminal in center. With float at full droop, you should measure approx 240 ohms. With float lifted all the way up you should measure approx 33 ohms.
If you cannot easily remove the sending unit, use a stick to measure the approx tank level. Measure the resistance between the same two points as above. If tank is 1/2 full the resistance should be about 1/2 way between the two numbers above, 1/4 should be 1/4 of the way between, etc.
Good Luck.

squirt
06-20-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT:
Tahiti, most likely your sending unit is a 240-33ohm unit.
If you can remove the sending unit, here's how to test it. Connect neg lead of OHM meter to the mounting flange and pos lead to the wire terminal in center. With float at full droop, you should measure approx 240 ohms. With float lifted all the way up you should measure approx 33 ohms.
If you cannot easily remove the sending unit, use a stick to measure the approx tank level. Measure the resistance between the same two points as above. If tank is 1/2 full the resistance should be about 1/2 way between the two numbers above, 1/4 should be 1/4 of the way between, etc.
Good Luck.
Damn Oldsquirt you are totally schooling me tonight on the gauges! Guess I'll have to keep following you around the different boards so I won't miss class! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Heatseeker
06-20-2002, 11:33 PM
I went through the same thing last year. Nothing Autometer makes matched the OEM senders in my tanks. I ended up buying the Autometer GM gauge and universal GM senders from JC Whitney for $15 each. Had the same bolt pattern as the OEMs. Just cut the float rod to fit, bolt them in and go.

Cheyenne19
06-21-2002, 07:52 AM
That is the same thing I had to do. Cut a hole, but it was easy, and you are assured that it will work with your new gauge
c19

Oldsquirt
06-21-2002, 08:37 AM
If you guys take a look in the Summit catalog, you will find that Autometer has several gauge lines that include fuel gauges designed to be used with the 33-240 ohm sending units.
I haven't checked the senders on my current project yet. I'm praying they are OK. There's only about 2 inches clearance above the sending units so replacement would require removal of the tanks which happen to be very securely glassed into the hull.

Bubbledeck2
06-21-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT:
There's only about 2 inches clearance above the sending units so replacement would require removal of the tanks which happen to be very securely glassed into the hull.
Same with my boat OLDSQUIRT. Last year while replacing the cables I knocked a wire off of the left tank's sending unit and although I haven't tried, I'm not sure I can even put it back on with the room available.
I have two 12s and I burn around 7-8 GPH. My normal day at the lake is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours running time which means I use about 12-16 gallons of gas. All my gauge does is fill the hole in the dash ;-)
OLDSQUIRT I'll look you up the next time I break something, you know a TON of stuff!

BBTAHITI
06-21-2002, 10:56 AM
Fuel gauge? What's that? I run a pair of 10 gallon Moon tanks and the closest thing I have to a "gauge" is a stick!

tahitijet
06-22-2002, 06:30 PM
Well I pulled the sender out to see why i was not getting a reading and I guess i see why now. can anyone tell which type this is and where to get 2 replacements at by the picture?
thanks
http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/suspensionworx/stuff/sender
[This message has been edited by tahitijet (edited June 22, 2002).]

jordanpaulk
06-22-2002, 06:35 PM
[This message has been edited by jordanpaulk (edited June 22, 2002).]

jordanpaulk
06-22-2002, 06:36 PM

1HOTGMCJET
06-22-2002, 07:13 PM
Looks like a standard 33-240 mechanical to me - any auto parts store could probably help you to get something similar.....just my observation.....Best of Luck and keep us posted! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif