PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Day at Westech Results

cyclone
05-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Wednesday night myself and MikeF put my motor together and dropped it into the boat so that i could haul it over to Westech Performance Group for a dyno session.
My new motor in the boat:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45motorinboat-med.JPG
Here's a look at what we saw at Westech:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45westech-med.JPG
Here's Steve Brule's boat:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45brulesboat-med.JPG
Steve runs the dyno and is as smart as they come when it comes to making power.
mikef also came along for the ride to the dyno and helped immmensely with getting my motor together and wrenching on it at Westech. thanks man!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45engineondynonovalvecovers-med.JPG
while we were at Westech, the world famous "Goldenrod" Bonneville car showed up on a trailer for a full restoration.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45goldenrod-med.JPG
(4) 426cid Hemi motors pushed this thing to the land speed record!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45mikefandhemis-med.JPG
The dyno session went extremely well and my 502cid crate short block with 9:1 CR, AFR 315CNC heads, Comp mechanical roller cam, Edelbrock VR. JR manifold and Holley 950HP carb made 741hp@6,100 rpm and 660 lbs/ft torque at 5,200 rpm. Not too shabby for a low compression, single carb'd motor!

HavasuDreamin'
05-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Nice. :cool: What are you going to do for a scoop now that you don't have dual quads? :confused:

Hustler
05-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Very nice Mike...I think you Randy worried :D :D

cyclone
05-09-2003, 09:38 AM
HH- not sure yet. my scoop will work with a single carb-i'll just have to put it on and see how it looks.
Hustler- i see nitrous in the near future for Randy!

Hustler
05-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Remember Blue makes them go fast :D :D

Jrocket
05-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Cyclone....Those are some repsectable numbers you got.Nice job... :D

HotHallet
05-09-2003, 10:15 AM
That's awesome Mike!!! Your boat is going to flat out fly. I predict 95 and that's not behind your truck either. I've got dibs on a ride when it's water ready.

sanger mike
05-09-2003, 12:34 PM
SH#T MIKE! LOOKING GOOOOD. thats some big numbers on your motor. :D :D :D

Taylorman
05-09-2003, 12:45 PM
What kind of crate motor is that. Ive been thinking about a crate motor such as a World Products from summit and changing the cam to suit a jet boat application.

HammerDown
05-09-2003, 12:54 PM
More detailes please...what internals are in that motor?

disco_charger
05-09-2003, 01:02 PM
So much for being a fast Rogers this year...Mike, you seem to be a step ahead of me. You tied Todd up, you changed from blue to red (my boat is red) and now you'll be faster than me. Screw you pal! wink

HBjet
05-09-2003, 01:54 PM
disco_charger:
So much for being a fast Rogers this year...What would make you think you where the fastest in the first place? :D
Hustler, why are you starting shit? argue
That's ok, Mikes motor is done, and it ran very very well. I'm just glad mine is still in pieces so I can change a few things around if I so desire. Actually, Mike knows this, and I think I have him a little worried. When I stopped by DNE today, he was right there too and it took me a little while to get him to leave Dave and I so we could talk. Well see this summer. I have a feeling there are going to be a few grudge matches at the CBBB
HBjet

cyclone
05-09-2003, 01:58 PM
You want motor specs? Its a stock GM performance parts Crate 502 long block. The only change i made to the bottom end was a Moroso HV/HF oil pump and a 10 quart oil pan.
The heads are new AFR CNC 315cc aluminum with 110cc chambers.
Here's the only spec you need to know about the HBJet smoking cam:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45randykiller3JPG-med.jpg
The intake is a port-matched Edelbrock Victor JR and the carb is a box-stock Holley 950HP jetted 82 square

DirtyBob
05-09-2003, 01:59 PM
HB,
How much does the dyno testing cost?

cyclone
05-09-2003, 02:03 PM
1 day at the dyno will cost about 650 bucks but its well worth the money. To put it into perspective, the 1st pull my motor made on dyno only netted about 590hp. By the time we were done tweaking we hit 741hp. The dyno takes the guesswork out of making the most of your engine combo by allowing you to ajust valve lash, cam timing, jetting and other variables right on the dyno and getting immediate feedback.

DirtyBob
05-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Thanks CYCLONE

cyclone
05-09-2003, 02:28 PM
no problem, Bob. Here's the number to Westech in case you need it. 909-685-4767

hack job
05-09-2003, 02:57 PM
well , mike that is a prettyy damn good # , you got me beat( and you donnt even have to fluff your #'s ) your boat is going to be one sweet looking fast ass boat! :D

disco_charger
05-09-2003, 03:01 PM
HBjet:
disco_charger:
So much for being a fast Rogers this year...What would make you think you where the fastest in the first place? :D
Damn, first arrogant, now dumb! Says "fast" moron not "fastest"! Good thing you accidently bought a good hull. Without that luck, you'd probably be trying to go fast in a Jet Hydro or a Lavey 21' XTSki! :rolleyes: wink

Bense468
05-09-2003, 03:09 PM
Nice numbers. Congrats Mike. Boat looks good too. Take that intake and have it polished.

bordsmnj
05-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Alright! Nice frickin' job. :D So when's it gonna get wet? I'll bet randy's gonna spend way more money then he origanally intended..... :p seeing these pics makes me wish i had the money to build another jet. cry

tom b
05-09-2003, 03:17 PM
hey, Randy
notice who's engine Dave was wrenching on while you were there, he's finally got mine in the engine room assembling it. looks like i should have mine together for memorial,i hope. i stopped by dne today also but i guess they were out to lunch, was gonna show dave this article and see if he thinks he can get these kind of #'s out of my small block ha ha. this 502 looks nice, mine started out as a crate motor now you see what has happened to it. maybe see some of you guys this weekend at dne, even though you don't know who i am

HBjet
05-09-2003, 03:36 PM
HAHA Disco! Your too funny!
TomB, yeah, we saw your motor, and it looks very nic so far. We where there just before they went to lunch. Dave is thinking you will be at 700hp, and knowing Dave, he always hits his mark! Your boat is going to haul ass too.
Good thing my boat has a lot of blue in it. A NOS bottle will go nicly with the rest of the boat!
HBjet

sidewound
05-09-2003, 03:52 PM
WOA!!!!!!!!!!!
That's BADSS!!!!!!!!!
Good thing I live on a small lake in Iowa or I'd have a complex. Very Impressive stuff.
The shop pics were sweet. I have to push away from the computor now. That wall of engines is givin me a CHUBBY.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR
[ May 09, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: sidewound ]

Infomaniac
05-09-2003, 06:41 PM
That is amazing HP!! Congrats.
That is only 50 HP less than a Reher Morrison 14:1 single dominator 509.

Johnwithjm
05-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Those are good numbers cyclone. I see your running AFR heads they worked great for me.

woodster
05-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Hey cyclone congrats.. What HP did u start out with when u picked up that crate motor? Youve got me thinking since i have a 410 Hp 502 that needs some serious help. :p

bp
05-10-2003, 06:52 AM
cyclone, good job on that piece. it's always fun at westech; you never really know what you'll see around those shops!
speaking of that, you didn't explain the story of the 698 boat. maybe some observers believe it is yours? i expect to see that thing on the rope in june :cool: just hangin' out...

Bense468
05-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that 698 boat is Copelands? Or was

bp
05-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Bense468:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that 698 boat is Copelands? Or was no, it was never clay's boat. he drove the other HOH boat for marilyn for awhile, then parted ways after the 2000 season. this (698)was the first HOH boat; the one paul and marilyn currently race is the second.

Bense468
05-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks for correcting me. I didn't think that he still drove it and I was not sure if it was the same boat because it looks a little different.

cyclone
05-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys! the motor came out way better than i expected.
Taylorman- the short block is a stock GMPP Crate 502
Hammerdown-the only changes i made were the AFR CNC 315 heads with Tulip valves and 110 cc combustion chambers
Comp Cam
(Gross valve lift: Intake: .661,Exhaust: .668
Duration at .50 Intake:254, Exhaust: 260, Lobe lift: Intake:.3890, Exhaust: .3930, lobe separation: 112.0)
Holley 950 HP Series carb jetted 82 square
MSD 6AL ignition and 8.5mm wires and HVC coil
1-inch Wilson carb spacer
Final timing set at 36 degrees advanced.
Bordsmnj- I'm shooting to have the boat together by next weekend.
Infomaniac- after running the numbers it appears GM overestimated the compression. They advertise it as being 9.6:1 when its more like 9.25:1. You could run this thing on 89 octane if you wanted.
Johnwithjm- thanks! I'm sold on the AFR's. Sickest heads i've ever tested on a dyno before.
Woodster- out of the crate the motor made 530hp. We bumped it up over 210hp with the current mods.
BP- thanks. I do love visiting that place. There is always something cool going on. I wrote above that the 698 boat is Brule's ride. I dont know the full story on it other than that he just bought the boat back a few months ago. He's put together a really nice motor and should be racing in june.

cyclone
05-11-2003, 08:17 PM
here are some pics of the internals..
1.73 ratio rockers
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45valvelash2-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45afrheartshapedchambers-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45afrexhaustports-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45afrintakeports-med.JPG

Jet Hydro
05-11-2003, 08:35 PM
disco_charger:
HBjet:
disco_charger:
Damn, first arrogant, now dumb! Says "fast" moron not "fastest"! Good thing you accidently bought a good hull. Without that luck, you'd probably be trying to go fast in a Jet Hydro or a Lavey 21' XTSki! :rolleyes: wink http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lach.gif Damn your just to funny!

Cs19
05-11-2003, 08:38 PM
those heads are soooo nice. thats why im selling my 990 iron heads.

LVjetboy
05-12-2003, 01:27 AM
I think you were running 75.5 mph before at ? rpm on ? impeller size. What's your new estimated mph?

ChetCapoli
05-12-2003, 06:15 AM
Infomaniac:
That is only 50 HP less than a Reher Morrison 14:1 single dominator 509. That is amazing HP for it only being 9:1 and a pretty small cam to boot considering what's above. Just my opinion but those numbers seem a little high to me. Same dyno as the 1050hp motor am i right??
CHET

HBjet
05-12-2003, 06:17 AM
ChetCapoli:
Infomaniac:
That is only 50 HP less than a Reher Morrison 14:1 single dominator 509. That is amazing HP for it only being 9:1 and a pretty small cam to boot considering what's above. Just my opinion but those numbers seem a little high to me. Same dyno as the 1050hp motor am i right??
CHET So what are you implying there Chet?
HBjet

MikeF
05-12-2003, 06:21 AM
ChetCapoli:
Infomaniac:
CHET CC, Can you figure out a way to get the can open before I pick it up out the the vending machine? I mean, I might enjoy it a little more by not having to take time to open it.
[ May 12, 2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

tom b
05-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Hearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs!!! Chet, with more drama. If only you could stand behind the comments you make, but all we ever hear from you are assumptions and accusations. If everyone is so far off by using this dyno prove them wrong, or is it just easier making an assinine comment about something you have no clue of what your talking about. Show us don't tell us.
I mostly read and don't do to much writing but this is to much.

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:01 AM
Sounds like a loaded Question, or is that a loaded Dyno? :o
it`s just a Question, you know like how fast could a Jet Hydro run if a Jet Hydro could run....ROTFLMAO... Right disco_charger?
BTW How fast is a disco_charger? just a Question!

HBjet
05-12-2003, 08:05 AM
From the DNE 1000hp motor build up thread
bruleracer:
I would also say,we spend a great deal of time and effort making sure our equipment is maintained and calibrated correctly.We test every day and have had the opportunity to do back to back tests on the same engine that was run on steve schmidts dyno, (within 6 hp) at 1250 hp, Bill mitchells dyno (within 2hp) at 650HP. Our numbers were accurate.
steve brule Steve Brule is the one who runs the dyno!
HBjet

ChetCapoli
05-12-2003, 02:57 PM
What do you expect him to say HB??? Yes my dyno is off?? Come on dude! All i said was i dont believe a motor while very similar to mine but smaller in CU and cam size makes 40 more hp. Even guys who know about my motor say it doesnt make the 700 the dyno says it did(more like 650hp). The main thing is the compression ratio...9:1...mine is 10:1btw....just funny with some "tweaking" he got another 150hp...doesnt add up is all i'm saying.
hey tomb, no clue about building motors?? whatever you say.Just state where i say things i dont back up and i'll honor them my friend. Otherwise, stick to lurking and being told what to do. :D
CHET
[ May 12, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: ChetCapoli ]

HBjet
05-12-2003, 03:03 PM
ChetCapoli:
What do you expect him to say HB??? Yes my dyno is off?? Come on dude! All i said was i dont believe a motor while very similar to mine but smaller in CU and cam size makes 40 more hp. Even guys who know about my motor say it doesnt make the 700 the dyno says it did(more like 650hp). The main thing is the compression ratio...9:1...mine is 10:1btw....just funny with some "tweaking" he got another 150hp...doesnt add up is all i'm saying.
hey tomb, no clue about building motors?? whatever you say.Just state where i say things i dont back up and i'll honor them my friend. Otherwise, stick to lurking and being told what to do. :D
CHET Maybe you got shitty heads and spec'd the wrong cam. Maybe the guys as Westech just might know a little more then you.....
HBjet

Hustler
05-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Chet you need to get over the fact that people can do things better than you (ie motors and pumps) face the reality bud the west coast has always dominated when it comes to Hot Rods and horse power. so get over it. Westec is one of top dyno facilities in the country and I dont think they get that rep by having a dyno thats off.
[ May 12, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Hustler ]

DogHouse
05-12-2003, 03:39 PM
ChetCapoli:
CHET Chet, how big is your motor and how much cam? Last year my single carb 9.7:1 588 made 770hp@5700 and 760ft-lbs@4700 with a cam that was only 256/262@.050. That was on a dyno that is widely considered to be "honest" (Larry Peto). Notice that Cyclone's motor make good power but was softer in torque because it's a little smaller. I don't think his numbers are that unbelievable. The AFR heads have great flow numbers and velocity because of the moderate runner size. Bottom line is they make power.
-brian

LVjetboy
05-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Chet's got shitty heads :)

LVjetboy
05-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Or maybe his, uhm, "cam" is too small :)

Johnwithjm
05-12-2003, 06:52 PM
Well Chet I have dynoed alot of motors at Westech and they all made big power. So I guess all my numbers are wrong also. Since you have no clue about Steve or Westech maybe you can open a dyno and be our expert. Since you seem to be the best motor and pump guy on earth
[ May 12, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Johnwithjm ]

disco_charger
05-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Jet Hydro:
it`s just a Question, you know like how fast could a Jet Hydro run if a Jet Hydro could run....ROTFLMAO... Right disco_charger?
BTW How fast is a disco_charger? just a Question! I do believe that the disco charger went about 55, people who rode in it thought faster, but I've been in some pretty damn fast boats, and I know what feels fast. Funny though. I never got my nuts all flustered when people talked shit about my boat. It's just a boat. It pulls skiers, hauls my cooler, never broke (throttle cable slipped out of the pedal a couple of times) in 9 years of use. I've got a boat now that might touch 85-90 now not real fast but not too bad. I don't need to run around here and dispute someone else's claims or method of motivation. I don't personally like outboards. But there are some real fast ones and I'm smart enough to understand that that is one way to do it. I don't feel the need to get on "Scream and Fly" and call them all stupid and liers. I wouldn't. Besides there are plenty of weedwackers faster than me and they love em.
As for making fun of a Jet Hydro, it's funny. You just bleed the easiest. The other boat I mentioned, a 21 XTSki, is owned by a good friend, who I like to give shit to. I like his boat. I actually kind of like Jet Hydros. Not because of anything other than the quirckiness of them. You don't see one everyday. But when I think about who whines the most, you came to mind. Hmm.
There are a very small amount of people that know where I came from in the boating world. I grew up around a lot of people who shaped this community into what it is today. I would never knock anyone who knew less about boating than me, and a couple of people can attest to the fact that I've never turned down anyones request for some kind of help. There are a lot of people who know way more than me about it too. However, I apparently am secure enough that I don't need to be on here telling people who do things differently than me that they are lying, stupid or inept. I don't get my nuts all wound up when someone talks about how slow my boat is. I DON'T CARE! Maybe his is faster, maybe his ain't. The people I hang out with like to chill, bullshit and enjoy a good sunset at the river. The 1980's and all that alpha male/power tie bullshit have long since passed. I love that you enjoy your hydro. I like anyone who digs on their boat. I'd probably even want to talk to you if you didn't have an 8' long 2"x4" on your shoulder. Relax pal. This is a place swimming with sharks, and when you bleed, you get bit. Calm down turbo, and take this for what it is. A stupid bulletin board.
Disco

Jrocket
05-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Some people just cant except other people's succes. :rolleyes:

RiverToysJas
05-12-2003, 07:51 PM
disco_charger:
....The other boat I mentioned, a 21 XTSki, is owned by a good friend, who I like to give shit to. I like his boat. Former friend! wink Tell your Dad to watch out, my Dad is on his way over!!! argue
RTJas :D

HBjet
05-12-2003, 07:59 PM
This is Chet's motor on the dyno. Who's to say they don't lay about the numbers?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3chetmotor.jpg
Hey Chet, do you think you have enough 2" spacers on that intake?
HBjet
[ May 12, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:10 PM
disco_charger:
Jet Hydro:
BTW How fast is a disco_charger? just a Question! I do believe that the disco charger went about 55, people who rode in it thought faster, but I've been in some pretty damn fast boats, and I know what feels fast. Funny though. I never got my nuts all flustered when people talked shit about my boat. It's just a boat. It pulls skiers, hauls my cooler, never broke (throttle cable slipped out of the pedal a couple of times) in 9 years of use. I've got a boat now that might touch 85-90 now not real fast but not too bad. I don't need to run around here and dispute someone else's claims or method of motivation. I don't personally like outboards. But there are some real fast ones and I'm smart enough to understand that that is one way to do it. I don't feel the need to get on "Scream and Fly" and call them all stupid and liers. I wouldn't. Besides there are plenty of weedwackers faster than me and they love em.
As for making fun of a Jet Hydro, it's funny. You just bleed the easiest. The other boat I mentioned, a 21 XTSki, is owned by a good friend, who I like to give shit to. I like his boat. I actually kind of like Jet Hydros. Not because of anything other than the quirckiness of them. You don't see one everyday. But when I think about who whines the most, you came to mind. Hmm.
There are a very small amount of people that know where I came from in the boating world. I grew up around a lot of people who shaped this community into what it is today. I would never knock anyone who knew less about boating than me, and a couple of people can attest to the fact that I've never turned down anyones request for some kind of help. There are a lot of people who know way more than me about it too. However, I apparently am secure enough that I don't need to be on here telling people who do things differently than me that they are lying, stupid or inept. I don't get my nuts all wound up when someone talks about how slow my boat is. I DON'T CARE! Maybe his is faster, maybe his ain't. The people I hang out with like to chill, bullshit and enjoy a good sunset at the river. The 1980's and all that alpha male/power tie bullshit have long since passed. I love that you enjoy your hydro. I like anyone who digs on their boat. I'd probably even want to talk to you if you didn't have an 8' long 2"x4" on your shoulder. Relax pal. This is a place swimming with sharks, and when you bleed, you get bit. Calm down turbo, and take this for what it is. A stupid bulletin board.
Disco Easy there Hot Rod, it was just a Question! No need to Bleed so much.
Reread your post and put a bandage on . I don't "Bleed when you or anyone else shoot`s off at the mouth about my boat because it just shows how much you really don't know.
What`s this stuff about O/B`s ??? I use to work on them and still do every once in a while.
I have more fun with you guy`s than you`ll ever have with me!!!!!
Excuse me while I go cut up my boat :o

HBjet
05-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Jet Hydro:
Excuse me while I go cut up my boat :o That's the best damn thing I've heard you say in a long time Slowy!
So, are you still scared of going faster then 92mph?
HBjet

Hustler
05-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Excuse me while I go cut up my boatThats the smartest thing you have ever said LOL J/K :D :D :p

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:16 PM
To bad it will only make it FASTER :)

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:18 PM
HBjet:
Jet Hydro:
Excuse me while I go cut up my boat :o That's the best damn thing I've heard you say in a long time Slowy!
So, are you still scared of going faster then 92mph?
HBjet 92???? What????? It went that fast? "WOW"

HavasuBarney
05-12-2003, 08:18 PM
I don't personally like outboards.That will be just about enough of that kind of talk! :(
**** you Chet! :)

HBjet
05-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Jet Hydro:
92???? What????? It went that fast? "WOW" Yeah, you where scared shitless, remember? Now you just run the boat in the safe 80's, like 82-84mph. Nothing wrong with that, even for a blown motor that one day made 1100hp, but now just makes around 700-750+
Hat's off to ya Steve!
HBjet
[ May 12, 2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

Jrocket
05-12-2003, 08:26 PM
HavasuBarney:
I don't personally like outboards.That will be just about enough of that kind of talk! :(
**** you Chet! :) Now you did it....Hit the only nerve Barney has!! :D

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:32 PM
HBjet:
Jet Hydro:
92???? What????? It went that fast? "WOW" Yeah, you where scared shitless, remember? Now you just run the boat in the safe 80's, like 82-84mph. Nothing wrong with that, even for a blown motor that one day made 1100hp, but now just makes around 700-750+
Hat's off to ya Steve!
HBjet Wow HBjet that`s heavy!!!!!!!! All That eek!

HBjet
05-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Jet Hydro:
HBjet:
Jet Hydro:
Hat's off to ya Steve!
HBjet Wow HBjet that`s heavy!!!!!!!! All That eek! Are you talking about your hull again? Yeah, I bet it's heavy!
So Steve, am I wrong?
HBjet

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:39 PM
HBjet I really think it`s cool that my boat can run the numbers at a slower speed than any boat in my class :) Think about it!!!!
I must have my shit together hunnnnnn
As a matter of fact it ran faster than my number at Waco this year.. It sucked to be the last boat on the line up because I was the fastest boat in my class jawdrop
Sucks when you cant slow down and stay in your class ...

77charger
05-12-2003, 08:43 PM
what is river racer 12.00 and up probably all that hydro has wondering about speeds i have some 10.20s at 66mph

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HBjet:
So Steve, am I wrong?[/QUOTE
Yes, I would say it`s heavy!

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:48 PM
77charger:
what is river racer 12.00 and up probably all that hydro has wondering about speeds i have some 10.20s at 66mph Cool, then we should be in the same club ...I have some 11.20`s at 58mph

77charger
05-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Jet Hydro:
77charger:
what is river racer 12.00 and up probably all that hydro has wondering about speeds i have some 10.20s at 66mph Cool, then we should be in the same club ...I have some 11.20`s at 58mph bring it marble falls in aug and run top eliminator and i'll hand you the ass whooping

HBjet
05-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Jet Hydro:
Sucks when you cant slow down and stay in your class ... No, its pathetic that you can just step up and run a class that you don't have to worry about slowing down in. Why don't you run a class that you max your boat out, and then work from there to shave off E.T. and gain MPH. Just a thought!
HBjet
[ May 12, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 08:52 PM
jawdrop

Hustler
05-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Jet Hydro:
jawdrop come on slowey you cant tell me your shocked at this :rolleyes:

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 09:13 PM
77charger
bring it marble falls in aug and run top eliminator and i'll hand you the ass whooping Thats a 9.0 class... What`s up with that?
[ May 12, 2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Jet Hydro ]

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 09:23 PM
HBjet:
[QUOTE]No, its pathetic that you can just step up and run a class that you don't have to worry about slowing down in. Why don't you run a class that you max your boat out, and then work from there to shave off E.T. and gain MPH. Just a thought!
HBjet HBjet let me tell you something that you must not have thought of yet!
Now lets act like were grownup "if just for a sec" OK???
I`m in a 12.0 class right now, The boat can run in the 11.`s!! But it still hasn't proved it self to run an 11.000 and stay in the water as of yet. I will not run the boat in a class that it`s not set-up for. When I find a "safe" set-up and the boat will stay in the water I will run the 11.0`s and then the 10.`s and so on... See how that works ??? It`s not a matter of if it can or if it will because it already has, I choose to do it as safe as I can "OK". I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else, I know what it can and has ran and I know where it`s going!
I`v won most of my races so I would say that I`m doing pretty good.
Let`s get over it and move on to something else! OK???
[ May 12, 2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Jet Hydro ]

HBjet
05-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Jet Hydro:
I will run the 11.0`s and then the 10.`s and so on... I've heard this before. "This race we are going to run the 12's, then the next the 11's, and then the next the 10's...." Wasn't that over a year ago, and your still in the 12's. If you haven't found a safe setup yet, I would say what I have been saying since day one. If those boats where mean't to run fast and safe, they would have been a long time ago. I bet your kinda bummed you bought the boat simply because it looks cool. And in your own words "To be fast, you have to look fast" Well, looks like you need to go back to the drawing board again and find a new hull. All this hull has done for you other then dirty your shorts is prove it's not worth racing.
Really Steve, give up, we all understand, you tried something and it's fact. Jet Hydro's are not supposed to be drag raced. And they are centainly not ment to run in the 12's with a 750hp+ motor and a NEW Aggressor pump! Right?
HBjet

TIMINATOR
05-12-2003, 10:05 PM
DYNOS DON'T LIE,CORRECTION FACTORS DO! Now that I've got all your attention,I DON'T CARE WHAT THE CORRECTED HORSEPOWER NUMBERS ARE BECAUSE THE AIR AT THE LAKE IS UNCORRECTED! Those numbers are fine for an A-B comparison of relative H.P.under controlled conditions,just don't take them too seriously! Consider the Engine Masters challenge in the recent car magazine,the West coast dyno read about 40 HP higher than the East coast dyno with the SAME ENGINES! BOTH DYNOS WERE CALIBRATED BEFORE THE TESTS! The motor makes the horsepower it makes AT THAT DAY,AT THAT LAKE! NOTHING ELSE MATTERS! I am NOT pointing fingers at ANYONE,read the final dyno test and draw your own conclusions. If I got beaten at the lake,no-one CARES what the dyno said,I GOT BEAT! All that said,dynos are great for tuning,just don't take the numbers too seriously. AAAAHHHH! I feel better now! Again,I'm NOT picking on ANYONE,THEIR DYNO OR MOTOR,I JUST WANTED TO MAKE A POINT! It's just MY OPINION,I COULD BE WRONG!

HBjet
05-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Jet Hydro:
I`v won most of my races so I would say that I`m doing pretty good.750hp+ running in the 12's isn't pretty good! Sorry.
HBjet

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 10:39 PM
you know nothing about ET racing do you???
HBjet it has ran 13.0`s , 12.`0`s and 11`s this is a pass that would have been in the 10`s but The set-up was way wrong so I lifted and ran a high 11.
The first picture is where it trapped to much air and started to lift the nose at 3/4 track.
Notice that I`m out front!!!!
http://photos.imageevent.com/ekimzark/sdbawacoapril2526all/websize/P4240434.JPG
This picture is where it is landing back in the water. The hole boat went about 3 to 4ft out of the water as I was told by one of the rescue team.
http://photos.imageevent.com/ekimzark/sdbawacoapril2526all/websize/P4240435.JPG
This is the landing as the boat stuffed hard in the water.
http://photos.imageevent.com/ekimzark/sdbawacoapril2526all/websize/P4240436.JPG
This one is where I was able to get back in the gas and smoke the guy in the next lane :)
http://photos.imageevent.com/ekimzark/sdbawacoapril2526all/websize/P4240437.JPG
If I remember right it ran an 11.820?
That weekend I had 2 runs in the 11`s and one in the 12`s.
HBjet my offer still stand for you to back your words.. You still run your mouth about my boat that you know nothing about and I still to this day have never said one thing bad about your`s... Bring that BAD ride of yours to one of our races and SHOW ME what a P.O.S. of a boat I have...OK ..
until then "STFU HBjet!"

HBjet
05-12-2003, 11:35 PM
3-4 feet out of the water? Yeah, I've been to a lot of races, when something get's 3-4 feet out of the water, it either crashes (which I'm glad you did not crash) or it lands so hard and out of control you loose your momentum. It looks like you where still ahead in the last photo, and I'm assuming you had to get back on the gas. That good you still won even though the other guy never let his foot off the gas. Just doesn't seem to be an even race if you ask me, but it's bracket racing. Get a big HP motor, hammer it, and then let off, you'll win. Thank god the NJBA doesn't allow that type of racing (if they do, I haven't seen it) because it would just seem pretty boring to watch. Just my opinion.
You know slowy, I just might take you up on that offer sooner then you think, and I won't remove an interior or my fiberglassed in fuel tanks. Hell, I'll even turn on my navigation lights for you!
Then maybe you will be able to spot me accross the finish line since you would have let off at half track!
HBjet

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 11:47 PM
HBjet:
You know slowy, I just might take you up on that offer sooner then you think,
HBjet Cool, The Beer is on me !!!! :D

Jet Hydro
05-12-2003, 11:55 PM
HBjet, it`s easer to set up to run a number than it is to try to get out of the gas and not run to fast.

disco_charger
05-13-2003, 06:49 AM
Jet Hydro:
HBjet, it`s easer to set up to run a number than it is to try to get out of the gas and not run to fast. Easier? I guess if you don't know how to set up a jet boat, I guess you're right. All the people I ever met who raced, wanted to go faster. I guess if your set up knowledge is limited to whatever you can get Summit to tell you on the phone, ("Hello Summit, I got all your bolt on horsepower, how do I make it go?") then it's probably best that you do lift half track. Summit does cars. Call Summit back and tell the, that you need to return the ladder bars, they won't fit on your Jet Hydro. Or maybe you should sell your "race" boat and buy a nice set of rollerblades.
Here's the other thing. I know you will never be the President of MENSA, but using someone elses argument back on them doesn't exactly thrash them into line. "I know you are, but what am I!" I don't think that was working for me when I stopped using it when I was 6. After reading your posts, I must say I am astonished. For as much crap as you talk you appear to be pretty dumb.

MAXIMUS
05-13-2003, 06:58 AM
HavasuBarney
[QB] [QUOTE] I don't personally like outboards.That will be just about enough of that kind of talk! :(
LOL :) He said outboards... aaahhhhh hu hu hu... cool!!! :cool:

Windy
05-13-2003, 09:07 AM
RiverDave:
Jesus Steve, you really oughta sell that boat before ya kill yourself in it. :( That aside from the pics (which could be an illusion or something) It looks as though the hull is undergoing alot of twisting motion when it was in the air. What's going on with that Steve?
RD I agree...be careful out there Slowy wink

Jet Hydro
05-13-2003, 09:52 AM
The reason you see a lot of twisting motion is because my seat is on the left hand side of the boat and not in the center. Now for why is it on the hand side, Because the other seat is on the right hand side...lol..
I see boats get air like this all the time and you know something ...They are V-Drive Hydros
It`s just a matter of a set-up problem that we had with running a new part that hadn't been ran yet. As the run`s went along they got better and better with every pass.
Now we are changing the hole boat again...lol... Why you might ask??? Because I was able to make it run and run well with the new parts so it`s time to improve more of the boat and run even faster.
[ May 13, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Jet Hydro ]

Jet Hydro
05-13-2003, 10:11 AM
disco_charger:
Easier? I guess if you don't know how to set up a jet boat, I guess you're right. All the people I ever met who raced, wanted to go faster. I guess if your set up knowledge is limited to whatever you can get Summit to tell you on the phone, ("Hello Summit, I got all your bolt on horsepower, how do I make it go?") then it's probably best that you do lift half track. Summit does cars. Call Summit back and tell the, that you need to return the ladder bars, they won't fit on your Jet Hydro. Or maybe you should sell your "race" boat and buy a nice set of rollerblades.disco-charger Do you always put your foot in your mouth when you type on a message board?
Let me see if I have this right, everyone in the classes below TFH don't know how to set-up a boat to go any faster than they are going now?
it`s easer to set up to run a number than it is to try to get out of the gas and not run to fast
Being that your kinda slow disco_charger I`ll see if I can put some light on what this means.
If you have a boat that will only run 11.50 then you need to run it in the 12.00 class because most boats that "I" run with can run 12.00 flat. 11.50 will never win in the 11.00 class as a 10.50 will never win in the 10.00 class.
So if you`v got a 11.50 boat you need to "D-tune" it to run as close to 12.000 as you can get because you cant feel .005 of a sec. and know when it`s time to get out of the gas.
I as most all other racers want to go faster but it`s not all that easy or everyone would have a TFH in their back yard!
disco_charger:
Here's the other thing. I know you will never be the President of MENSA, but using someone elses argument back on them doesn't exactly thrash them into line. "I know you are, but what am I!" I don't think that was working for me when I stopped using it when I was 6. After reading your posts, I must say I am astonished. For as much crap as you talk you appear to be pretty dumb. Your really are an idiot aren't you? You really need to reread what you post because you only talk about what you do. I bet you use to say My dad can beat up Your dad alot didn't ya?
"I know you are, but what am I!" I`v got to words for ya... Grow up
Why don't you read your own post and follow them!
[ May 13, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Jet Hydro ]

ChetCapoli
05-13-2003, 04:26 PM
DogHouse:
Chet, how big is your motor and how much cam? Last year my single carb 9.7:1 588 made 770hp@5700 and 760ft-lbs@4700 with a cam that was only 256/262@.050
-brian Big difference between a 502 and a 588 dont ya think? He's only 30hp off of you with 86 less cubes? Come on dude...you gotta figure 1hp per cu. in. Btw, mine is a 522 with a almost exact cam (256/262@50) on a 107 centerline with dart pro1's and 10:1. 670ftlbs at 4900rpm and 701hp at 6000rpm. He picked up over 200hp just by some "changes"?????? Sure...happens all the time. Wait fella's..... lets see here....hmmmm....if we advance the cam oh lets say 2 degrees here see..... we should pick up......100hp...that'll do it! RIGHT!! My opinion and i'm not buying it.
Hey HBjet...you being the "knowitall" jet & motor guru....how many spacers does it look like i have??? Being how that one "spacer" gave me 12hp on the dyno and is WELL KNOWN in racing to boot, you (as well as your shop) should know exactly what it is. Man when i give you a little heat about your "shops"....you get all bent dont ya??? You just cant handle someone not agreeing with you in regards to anything when it comes to your two shops...every other shop in the world should just go out of business and save the hassle of competing cuz there is no comparision. You just can't fathom how anyone can use anyone else in the whole united states except for your two shops! GIMME A BREAK. :D
CHET

DogHouse
05-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Chet, just some thoughts here. Not saying I'm an expert by any stretch but some things I've noticed. You don't pick up a lot of HP when going bigger unless you increase the airflow also. Yeah my motor is bigger, but the cam isn't. Even though my peak HP is only 30 more, my torque is 100 more, and at a lower RPM. I set mine up to idle well for an outdrive and also to be able to push around a much larger boat. If I had recammed to generate a similar HP/TQ ratio, I think you'd see mine well into the 800's. When we dyno'd, the difference between the initial pull and the final one was about 80 HP. The jetting and timing changes made a big difference because my initial carb settings were way off. We didn't play with cam timing at all. On yours, you didn't mention which Pro1 heads you have or if they're ported. That can certainly make a big difference in airflow and HP. Not sure where I'm going with all this, except to say that it's not always easy to predict what a certain combo will do, and seemingly minor differences sometimes have big effects. Good luck with yours!
-brian

HammerDown
05-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Could ALL the Magic be in those AFR Heads??? I'm not doubting Cyclones words by any means...I would just think more compression would have been need to reach those numbers with only a 502" motor>(stock bore and stroke)
I'd build that motor...even it it was shy a few ponys...lets say 700 HP.W/the same Compression.
Thumbs up to you Mike, as far as I'm concerned...you got the best of show!

HBjet
05-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Chet, there are many great shops, I only stand up for the two I use because I use them, one because they are very close to my work and house, and two they have never done me wrong. I'm not doubting other builders, I'm just sticking up for the shops I use. It's funny how your telling me there are other shops, but to you, there is only one jet pump to use.
As for Mikes AFR heads, they are pretty incredible. I don't know how they stand up to the Darts, but they sure can make some power!
HBjet

77charger
05-13-2003, 06:36 PM
well slowy from your posting of those pics i can now see how a jet hydro works(since hydros ride on the sponsons and jets ride on the very back) i noticed the center of the boat where the intake is and how it hangs down.but starts in the front part of the boat.I thought they used the smae hull as a v drive. i guess not.

Jet Hydro
05-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes it`s the same. The only thing they change is the pod. That is where they went wrong , The pod is to wide and will cause to much lift. I`m cutting the pod off and redesigning it right now.
I hope I`m doing the right thing but only time will tell because there`s not many of these boats around to see what works and what doesn't.
The HONDO is the only real Jet Hydro that "I`v" ever seen as the Wills or aka Sanger is really a tunnel.

HBjet
05-13-2003, 06:48 PM
ChetCapoli:
Big difference between a 502 and a 588 dont ya think? He's only 30hp off of you with 86 less cubes? Come on dude...you gotta figure 1hp per cu. in. Btw, mine is a 522 with a almost exact cam (256/262@50) on a 107 centerline with dart pro1's and 10:1. 670ftlbs at 4900rpm and 701hp at 6000rpm. He picked up over 200hp just by some "changes"?????? Sure...happens all the time. Wait fella's..... lets see here....hmmmm....if we advance the cam oh lets say 2 degrees here see..... we should pick up......100hp...that'll do it! RIGHT!! My opinion and i'm not buying it.
Hey HBjet...you being the "knowitall" jet & motor guru....how many spacers does it look like i have??? Being how that one "spacer" gave me 12hp on the dyno and is WELL KNOWN in racing to boot, you (as well as your shop) should know exactly what it is. Man when i give you a little heat about your "shops"....you get all bent dont ya??? You just cant handle someone not agreeing with you in regards to anything when it comes to your two shops...every other shop in the world should just go out of business and save the hassle of competing cuz there is no comparision. You just can't fathom how anyone can use anyone else in the whole united states except for your two shops! GIMME A BREAK. :D
CHET Chet, I know spacers make a huge difference, but when I first looked at your motor, it looks like you have one polished one (on top) and one painted red, but I guess that could be part of the intake (Just don't know what intake you have)
So, as for the difference in motor's and HP, well, how many pulls on the dyno did you make with your motor? Who's dyno did you use? Also, who's to say your dyno is accurate verses Westech? I guess you just don't like anything with the West Coast (ie Westech) I bet if Mike's motor and DNE's 1000hp motor was dyno'd on your guy's dyno, you would believe it right?
Chet, have you ever checked out AFR cylinder heads?
Popular Hot Rodding Engine Master Challenge (http://www.airflowresearch.com/news/engine_master_release.htm)
CHEVY HIGH PERFORMANCE FLOW FIGURE "SPREADSHEET (http://www.airflowresearch.com/performance/westech_figures.htm)
I bet your going to call bogas on the above link since the testing was done at Westech huh?
Chevy High Performance Magazine Test (http://www.airflowresearch.com/performance/chp_test.htm)
So Chet, can you honestly think there is no difference in your heads and Mike's AFR's?
HBjet

disco_charger
05-14-2003, 06:53 AM
Jet Hydro:
you know nothing about ET racing do you???
HBjet it has ran 13.0`s , 12.`0`s and 11`s this is a pass that would have been in the 10`s but The set-up was way wrong so I lifted and ran a high 11.
If I remember right it ran an 11.820?
That weekend I had 2 runs in the 11`s and one in the 12`s.
HBjet my offer still stand for you to back your words.. You still run your mouth about my boat that you know nothing about and I still to this day have never said one thing bad about your`s... Bring that BAD ride of yours to one of our races and SHOW ME what a P.O.S. of a boat I have...OK ..
until then "STFU HBjet!" Oddly enough, me and my poor little addled brain understand the concept of bracket racing. What I don't understad is with all that kick ass equipment (Agressor and the mighty racing Jet Hydro) that on a day when condition were obviously rough (the trees in the background aren't blowing and the water is glass) that you got that thing so far out of the water, and you can't get it to hook up. I may be confusing you with the great Chet Capoli, but I seem to recall some pretty decent horsepower numbers from you. Over 700? I think that was you. I might be wrong as I only glance at your posts (my boat is faster than yours is only interesting once). Now, I know that a number of boats with only about 600-650 hp that run low 10's. So it would seem to me that the point I made about Summit might be appropriate. I mean, that big huge horsepower super efficient hydro was running 12's once? And now you have to lift at half to three quarter track? Sounds like your set up is more than a little off...You say that you've won most of your races, but your running in classes where you out horsepower poor little converted ski boats. Shit, out here in the 12's you see boats with full interior. I know bracket racing is purist, all about who gets the light the best, and doesn't break out. I just find it funny that you're one of the first guys out here telling everyone they're slow, they're lying, and they don't know anything about jet boats.
As for me being really stupid, you may be right. I did get dragged into this conversation with you, right? wink

cyclone
05-14-2003, 07:47 AM
This is pretty funny. :)

Cs19
05-14-2003, 08:52 AM
whats on the bottom of this boat? im not understanding this boat at all.im not dogging it jet hydro. just not sure what im looking at. http://photos.imageevent.com/ekimzark/sdbawacoapril2526all/websize/P4240435.JPG

Jet Hydro
05-14-2003, 09:46 AM
disco_charger:
[QUOTE] Now, I know that a number of boats with only about 600-650 hp that run low 10's.
After reading that post I`v figured out that you really don't know $hit!
I must be the stupid one for even wasting my time to reply to an Idiot such as yourself.
I`m going to end this conversation with you because having a conversation with an Idiot just put`s me down to their level, Not a good place to be if you ask me..
Have fun

Freak
05-14-2003, 10:41 AM
LAMO

HBjet
05-14-2003, 10:48 AM
I just found out that most drag boat racing organizations allow "Sand Bagging" such as lifting off at half track. However, the NJBA does not, and they video tape every run and make sure there wasn't any lifting. Now, if you lift because of a safety issue, that is understandable, but if your making a clean pass and before the light's your rooster tail all of a sudden drops, then you better watch out. I guess that's why Slowy thinks we don't know what we are talking about hear on the West Coast because the racing we watch is just that, racing, not Sand Baggin!
In the far lane we have Slowy "The Sand Bagger" Jet Hydro
HBjet

hboldno7
05-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Its not hard to soar like an eagle when your flying with Pigeons

hack job
05-14-2003, 11:19 AM
hboldno7:
Its not hard to soar like an eagle when your flying with Pigeons it goes " its hard to soar with the ealges when your surrounded by turkeys" wink

hboldno7
05-14-2003, 11:24 AM
yeah, I know but in this case I think my version suits the situation nicely

HBjet
05-14-2003, 11:47 AM
I think they are both funny!
HBjet

HBjet
05-14-2003, 11:51 AM
you know, I can't wait to dyno my motor at Westech so I can have Chet say it's impossible for what I have to make whatever power it does. Man. 600 bucks worth of dyno time all to get false readings! I'm so excited!
HBjet

Jake W
05-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Green Jacket Gold Jacket WHO GIVES A SHIT.Mike nice numbers on the motor and the rail kit looks nice too.Jake
[ May 14, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Jake W ]

Jet Hydro
05-14-2003, 02:13 PM
HBjet:
I just found out that most drag boat racing organizations allow "Sand Bagging" such as lifting off at half track. However, the NJBA does not, and they video tape every run and make sure there wasn't any lifting. Now, if you lift because of a safety issue, that is understandable, but if your making a clean pass and before the light's your rooster tail all of a sudden drops, then you better watch out. I guess that's why Slowy thinks we don't know what we are talking about hear on the West Coast because the racing we watch is just that, racing, not Sand Baggin!
In the far lane we have Slowy "The Sand Bagger" Jet Hydro
HBjet HBjet help me out here,
How do you think those guy`s (NJBA) run so close to their numbers?? Did they just happen to run out of money when they were building their motors and as luck has it hit a number flat or do you think they ran the boat and found a number that was close to what their boat could run, then tuned it to run that number?
How can anyone win Sandbagging?? I sure as hell cant feel .005 of a sec and dont know anyone that can.

HBjet
05-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Jet Hydro:
HBjet help me out here,
How do you think those guy`s (NJBA) run so close to their numbers?? Did they just happen to run out of money when they were building their motors and as luck has it hit a number flat or do you think they ran the boat and found a number that was close to what their boat could run, then tuned it to run that number?
How can anyone win Sandbagging?? I sure as hell cant feel .005 of a sec and dont know anyone that can. So are you saying the racers that run NJBA races are lifting? Bring out that Jet Hydro and you will be DQ'd for lifting, or just plain running unsafe!
Really, are you saying the NJBA let's racers run the way you do?
HBjet

Jrocket
05-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Jake W:
Green Jacket Gold Jacket WHO GIVES A SHIT.Happy Gilmore!!!! :D

Jet Hydro
05-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Jet Hydro:
[QUOTE]
How can anyone win Sandbagging?? I sure as hell cant feel .005 of a sec and dont know anyone that can. HBjet:
[QUOTE]
So are you saying the racers that run NJBA races are lifting? Bring out that Jet Hydro and you will be DQ'd for lifting, or just plain running unsafe!
HBjet I don't know , is that what I said??
Lets look at what I said, then can you please tell me how they decide what class to sign up for. How do they set up their boats to run close to a number or does it just happen that way?
Jet Hydro:
[QUOTE]HBjet help me out here,
How do you think those guy`s (NJBA) run so close to their numbers?? Did they just happen to run out of money when they were building their motors and as luck has it hit a number flat or do you think they ran the boat and found a number that was close to what their boat could run, then tuned it to run that number? Well ???? How do they do it???? Don't try to turn around my words, Just lay it out on the table.
How they pick a class and how they make their boat run a number!
Is it just luck that they build a boat that can run a flat number or close to a flat number?
Do they just wake up one day and say I think I`ll build a boat that will run 10.0 flat and hit it the first pass???
Or does the guy that ran a 9.999 just say "screw it" and try to run in the 9.000 class???
[ May 14, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Jet Hydro ]

77charger
05-14-2003, 07:07 PM
slowy i think it is done by running your boat full speed down the course.Then fine tuning from there.we guessed my boat would run some where in the 10s at first so we signed up for Mod elim.after tuning and tuning it finally got to 10.25 to qualify(but still crapping out)More tuning for the next day for first round it went 9.73 and i broke out Got another run it went 9.76.So now i know it can run better after fine tuning and resolving fuel bowl issues i think it can do better so for this weekend i am going for the 9.50 bracket in njba if it goes 9.40(a good chance maybe faster) well that is what baffles are for or retard the timing to slow it down but i can still give it full throttle instead of sandbaging by leeting off or hitting the down pedal.If you are within a .10 of a second of a signed class well that is what fine tuning or slight detuning is for.

Johnwithjm
05-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Jet Hydro:
Jet Hydro:
[QUOTE]
How can anyone win Sandbagging?? I sure as hell cant feel .005 of a sec and dont know anyone that can. HBjet:
[QUOTE]
So are you saying the racers that run NJBA races are lifting? Bring out that Jet Hydro and you will be DQ'd for lifting, or just plain running unsafe!
HBjet I don't know , is that what I said??
Lets look at what I said, then can you please tell me how they decide what class to sign up for. How do they set up their boats to run close to a number or does it just happen that way?
Jet Hydro:
[QUOTE]HBjet help me out here,
How do you think those guy`s (NJBA) run so close to their numbers?? Did they just happen to run out of money when they were building their motors and as luck has it hit a number flat or do you think they ran the boat and found a number that was close to what their boat could run, then tuned it to run that number? Well ???? How do they do it???? Don't try to turn around my words, Just lay it out on the table.
How they pick a class and how they make their boat run a number!
Is it just luck that they build a boat that can run a flat number or close to a flat number?
Do they just wake up one day and say I think I`ll build a boat that will run 10.0 flat and hit it the first pass???
Or does the guy that ran a 9.999 just say "screw it" and try to run in the 9.000 class??? Well for one thing NJBA runs half second classes like 9.50 to 10 or 9.00 to 9.50. No lifting or they will DQ you in a heart beat for sandbaging

Jet Hydro
05-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks guy`s....
In IHBA or NDBA we only have .000`s no .500`s
So if you run a 10.50 you better d-tune it and run 11.0`s because you`ll never win in the 10.000 class because most of the racer`s I`v seen can hit an 0?? on just about every pass.
As far as sandbagging like I`v said you can`t win by doing it unless your lucky because you cant feel .005 or even .500. I let out only if I`m out front because there`s no reason to run my motor that hard if I don't have too. That`s not sand bagging that saving $$$$$
I do the same thing in my race car and there`s no et bracket racing there , It`s all out smash the gas but If I`m out front I wont kill my motor on an easy win.
My Boat has ran some 11.`s but it hasn't ran a 11.100 yet so I just keep it in the 12`s until it can hit the number with in .100.
I`m far from sandbagging as I try to make it go faster every pass. You can ask SDBA I don't lift it I have a race on my hands but if I`m out front there`s no way in hell an I going to take a chance in popping my motor on a run that I`v already won. The only reason I lifted on the run that`s in the pictures is because I like living!!!
There was a new part installed on my boat last year and it never got tested before it got packed a way for winter. My racing org. went tit`s up this year, I wanted to race a few races somewhere so I packed up and went to Waco with out testing the new part. It was a chance to get the boat in the water and I wasn't going to pass it up. Well to make a long story short I shouldn't have tried to run with a full tune on the motor. I could have changed blower pulleys but I like to run full out and I wanted to see if it could fly. Well fly it did, up up and away we went. I made changes all day long getting better passes every run. I was the fastest boat in RR1 with my time being 11. something because I didn't sandbag, if I would have sandbagged I would have not been the fastest boat in the class. With that said being the fastest boat was not a good thing because it was a 12.0 class. I was the fastest brake out and that made me have to run the #1 boat that most likely ran a 12.0??
Would have been hard to beat this guy with out d tuning my boat. I wasn't fast enough to run in the 11.`s and too fast for the 12.`s
Call it what you want but I put 2.0 down in my ride plate and that should have slowed me back to the 12.0`s.
I don't call that sandbagging I call that d tuning the boat
I`m redesigning the bottom of the boat in hopes to see 10.0`s real soon, By no way do I want to just stay in the 12`s . I`m just like everyone else "I always want More" then "More" ect.
Like I`v said you cant win very many races sandbagging because you cant feel the clock by the seat of your pants! Just dosn`t happen!!
[ May 15, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Jet Hydro ]

Infomaniac
05-27-2003, 08:19 PM
This topic got off a bit.
Those dyno numbers have to equal serious speed.
Were you able to get it going by the holiday weekend?

BrendellaJet
05-27-2003, 09:02 PM
Cyclone,
inquiring minds want to know. How'd she run, which impeller are you using? Got any pics ?

HavasuBarney
05-27-2003, 09:04 PM
You guys really buying this?
:D

Jordy
05-27-2003, 09:12 PM
I'm not even reaching for my wallet Barn...
Although, I did get to drive Cyclone's boat on Sunday and all I can say is that thing is badass... Time to get mine running again as I'm over the I/O thing. I want some power and noise now. :D

Jordy
05-28-2003, 06:36 AM
RiverDave:
Tired of the relatively smooth ride and sea of women in the front? :D
RD I'll give you the ride thing, but you did notice who jumped in the jet boat didn't you? :D :D :D

Dave C
05-28-2003, 02:16 PM
Looks good.
Who did the work on the heads and manifold?
Thanks

Bahner18
05-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Steve & John at Westech group are my good friends and Ill tell you what, Carcraft mag. Hot Rod mag and Engine masters plus a ton of high end Builders use them because of the accuracy of the dyno and the profesional tuning of steve.

Infomaniac
01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
bump for first page of archive