PDA

View Full Version : Panther Peeps

AZKC
05-25-2003, 09:03 AM
I read the threads on water line routing(and other stuff) and the other pumps seem to talk about gate valves alot. Are gate valves only ran on motors with headers? If I added headers would the Panther require a gate valve? Does anyone run gate valves when running logs?
KC

BrendellaJet
05-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Looks like you may be getting this wrong. I dont know about a panther, but most other pumps need a valve from the pump to the motor to control the pressure going into the block. For use with headers, a second valve is sometimes used to control the flow to the headers. With logs you do not need the second valve. If someone doesn't chime in with your needs because of the panther, you can call panther directly and ask them if the pressure from the pump is more than what is recommended for the block, if so, you need the valve. I think that the acceptable pressure going into the block is around 12-15psi-hopefully someone will speak up and let us know if I am right about that.

Cas
05-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Panthers are the same.
Pump through gate valve, split to the one side of logs. Out the other side logs to the engine. Out the highest point of engine to the risers or OT's.

SleekPanther
05-27-2003, 08:22 AM
My Panther with logs, came with a gate valve in the input line, usually ran almost all the way closed with it. I'm now running Bassett headers and a REX thermostat kit and run the gate all the way open. I get good flow out my pair of dumps, and didn't see the water pressure get above 13 lbs, but I wasn't looking at the gauge (engine mounted) when at higher RPMs. I'm worried about my pump, I saw 5700 RPM on my tel-tale digi tach, with only 500 HP, time for a rebuild I guess.
Paul

HOOTER SLED-
05-28-2003, 08:58 AM
My Panther pump has no valve. Works fine. Do I need one??? Had one on my Jacuzzi on other boat.

NeoBurn
05-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Another panther owner here, works fine without a ball valve but would be nice to put one back by where the pump line comes in. Just incase the hose ruptures and you start drowning your boat.

Cas
05-28-2003, 05:22 PM
What kind of temperatures are you running at?
When I bought my boat it was idling at about 120º and would go down to about 100º when running. I put the gate valve in and adjusted it so it idling at 180º and running about 160º.
As Neo siad, it also comes in handy if you lose a hose downline from the valve.

Punisher
07-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Good info! Thanks all :cool:

SmokinLowriderSS
07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
It all depends hootersled if you are putting too much pressure into your engine block or not. You may have a setup similar to what my boat came with in 1978.
My Taylor came originally with a restrictor in the inlet line between the inlet and the T to the logs, was right under the oil pan. Dad didn't like the temps the boat idled at so (after blowing the inlet hose off the steel pipe outrunning a Baja jet) he threaded a gate valve on, put a nipple on the outlet side, double clamped it, and we have been great ever since.

jrork
07-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey AZKC,
When I had my Panther logs it had a gate valve on the inlet from the pump similar to what everybody else has mentioned here.
Worked fine while I had the logs on but I've since moved to OT headers.
Hows the boat running since your last go-round? Hopefully it's trouble free and you're getting to enjoy it.
John

AZKC
07-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Boats running, not great, but running, each trip is a new adventure. Mostly fuel related problems now.
Not sure if anyone else noticed this but this thread was started in May of 2003 :sleeping: :sleeping: :D I've been working on my boat way to long :hammer2: