PDA

View Full Version : In Need of fiberglass

tahitijet
05-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Does anyone have a hook up wiht fiberglass? I need to get a few yards of 2 oz matt and cloth. can anyone help me out with a supplier?
thanks

ROZ
05-21-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by tahitijet:
Does anyone have a hook up wiht fiberglass? I need to get a few yards of 2 oz matt and cloth. can anyone help me out with a supplier?
thanks
Beached01 knows of a good suply house. He posted it not too long ago. A "search" will be worth the while.

79TaylorSS
05-21-2002, 10:18 PM
I would also like some of that. Please let me know. Thank you.

ROZ
05-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Found it:
Author Topic: Instead of wood...
beached1
posted April 02, 2002 07:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last weekend when I was at the plastics store buying more resin and glass for my project, I thought of something that I would like to run by you all for your thoughts or input.
What about plastic? I'm in the process of replacing my transom, stringers and floor. I buy all of my fiberglass materials at S&W plastics. I was just thinking, instead of wood on the transom, why not plastic with the same thickness? No more rot, if I glass both sides, it would be just as rigid if not more. Also, was thinking of the floor as well. Again, no more rot. Won't need to go as thick on the floor, but none the less, glass both sides, before I cut to fit. They have all sizes of plastic sheets of various rigidity. Some were very pourus, but thick enough to replace my floor which had 3/4" Marine plywd before. Even glassed on both sides, it would be less weight and plenty strong. Staying with kiln dried oak for the stringers. Don't want to get experimental with what holds my engine in place.
Old Rigger, thoughts?
Now you just need to find out where they are.
Peace

Kwicherbichen
05-22-2002, 12:18 AM
If you're out in Havasu any time soon stop by Havasu Barneys. I'm sure he has what you need.

beached1
05-22-2002, 05:53 AM
S&W Plastics. They have 2 locations that I know of. The San Bernardino store is on Orange Show Rd right where Hospitality ends. The Riverside loc is on University just south of the 91. Sorry, I don't have any #'s. Just contact either one and see if they have a location near you. They sell just about every size of cloth, mat, tape, etc by the yard or roll. Many different resins and rollers also. For fillers such as Fibral or kitty hair and the like, try Smitty's auto paint in San B off of Sierra or Yucaipa off of Yucaipa blvd, or in Hemet (don't know the hemet loc).
Hope this helps.
BTW. if anyone is near the IE and needs special lumber for your boat like Marine plywood or any kind of Kiln dried hardwoods, try Reel Lumber in Riverside. Located on Chicago near the Linden intersection. They have just about every make of wood and it is all Kiln dired.

Licketty Split
05-22-2002, 06:20 AM
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/main.html ths company has every thing you need at a good price and exelent service.

Licketty Split
05-22-2002, 06:21 AM
http://www.fibreglast.com/ I'v havent delt with these peaple yet but they seem good

PipesClean
05-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by beached1:
BTW. if anyone is near the IE and needs special lumber for your boat like Marine plywood or any kind of Kiln dried hardwoods, try Reel Lumber in Riverside. Located on Chicago near the Linden intersection. They have just about every make of wood and it is all Kiln dired.[/B]
Good to know Beached1
Thanks