PDA

View Full Version : 460 Ford Engine Mount / Rail System

NeoBurn
02-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Looking for any information on where to purchase or have custom an engine mount rail system for my 460 Ford. 21' Sleekcraft w/ panther jet. My current bell-housing has an opening for the top mount starter, and fits snug around my panther jet.
Rex Marine sells a 460 Engine Mount Kit which includes 30" Rails, Front mount which I can use, but their rear mount is basically a replacement bell-housing. This housing does not have a top mount starter access, and it doesn't look like it will fit around my panther jet. Anyone have a similar set up?
My current mounts have splintered the stringer, and my oil pan and bell housing are touching the bottom of the bilge.

flat broke
02-04-2003, 08:25 AM
It's been a while since I had a panther equipped boat, but to the best of my recolection, you need the panther bellhousing to work with the pump. In this case, I would fab up your own rail kit using some aluminum angle for the rails and 3/8" plate for the front mount. Keep your existing bellhousing and have it coated/painted/polished/anodized to match the rest of the kit and there you go.
The kit is something that can easily be made with basic powertools (cheapo drill press, sawzall, sander) Sure it would be nicer to do it on a mill, but not everyone has one or access to someone who does. I have seen more than one instance where basic powertools yielded acceptable results when the user took his/her time on the parts they were making.
If you decide to go rails and front plate, contact Hack Job as perhaps He'd be interested in making you up the parts for a reasonable cost.l
Good luck,
Chris

NeoBurn
02-04-2003, 12:48 PM
The bell housing is aluminum, what would it take to weld a strong enough mount to the bell housing and just use what I have?

hack job
02-04-2003, 01:18 PM
are you saying you want to make your bellhousing fit a rail kit. that could be done but i really would just use that attached to the pump and use the front plate off a ford rail kit.
just my .02

NeoBurn
02-04-2003, 04:04 PM
SO I will be ok using the C-Clamp that attaches to the jet as the rear mount? Then all I would need is the front mount and the rails correct?

NeoBurn
02-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Here's the ugly pics I'm working with.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/460NEO.JPG

hack job
02-05-2003, 04:15 PM
NeoBurn:
SO I will be ok using the C-Clamp that attaches to the jet as the rear mount? Then all I would need is the front mount and the rails correct? this is what i was saying yes use the rear piece which you already have and then get a front plate for a ford rail kit and some rails and your set. wink

Hotcrusader76
02-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Ohhh ok...
Now I see what you're talking about Jeff. I will come over tomorrow afternoon to take another look.
Jeff call me at home later.
~Ty
[ February 05, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

NeoBurn
02-05-2003, 07:34 PM
NeoBurn:
This is what happens in my spare time when I'm waiting to get my engine pulled lol.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/LOGS.JPG