PDA

View Full Version : rules?

sleekster
05-17-2003, 09:58 AM
wetdawg got me thinking about my experience with a jet ski last summer, i was going in a straight line about 50 in my jet boat when a jet ski cut right in front of me 90 deg. well i just missed him kept goin to where i parked well he followed me and starting playin like he was a cop and i almost hit him and how he could write me a ticket saying he had the right of way. well my mother was with me at the time so i kept my cool, finally i told he could be right but if he cuts in front of me again he will be dead wrong. what are the rules governing jet ski /boat right away?
my other boat is a pontoon so this was never an issue.

Hal
05-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Logic tells me if he was coming at you from your right and passed in front of you he had the right of way.If he was coming at you from the left you have the right of way. :) I think the key word is "Right Of Way"

-Nezrik-
05-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Try here. (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/boating/6_2_b1.htm)
And here (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/boating/6_2_b.htm)
I am not sure which states this applies to, but it sounds like a general rule. Try to do some searching in google. You may be able to find something more specific.
[ May 17, 2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: -Nezrik- ]

mickeyfinn
05-17-2003, 05:46 PM
I believe the rules are pretty universal. Non powered vessels always get the right of way. If both vessels are powered then the right of way goes to the vehicle on the right.
Of course you could always live by the same rules as the interstate.....The one with the biggest boat... :D :D

Danhercules
05-19-2003, 11:32 AM
i was always told the bigger boat has the right of way. The bigger boat is also less manueverable. The only exeption, was boats not under motor power. They have the right of way.
Sounds like thats what you are all saying.

mickeyfinn
05-19-2003, 12:04 PM
I don't think the ability to manueverable is really part of the biggest boat theory. I think it has more to do with the boat with more ass can do more damage so GET OUT OF THE WAY

Powerquestboy
05-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Nonpowered boats (sailboats) always have the right of way! On the lake whoever is on a Starboard course has the right of way, but ingeneral the bigger vessal always has the right of way because they are harder to amnuver and stop. Seems pretty logical, If you have the smaller vessal you can either have the right of way and be dead or get the F out of the way of the big boat.

Back Forty
05-19-2003, 01:14 PM
I believe it is stated as restricted maneuverability which covers a boat under sail and also truely restricted boats such as very large vessels with large turn radius requirements.(a 30'-50' power boat is a dingy and doesn't count unless broken down) If your in a 30' something boat and you think you have the right of way over somebody's 18' boat your wrong. This applys to any size boat out side of the maneuverability consideration. I agree that the jet ski people suck but then again so do the people that think that because their gigantic pig cruise boat that plows in front of me without concern because he has a bigger boat and "can" blows as well and also needs a sock in the mouth as well. You people that take the Coasty course are champs. Thanks for having consideration. That kind of puts things in relative terms... In a navagable channel the obvious federal and local laws apply. This is from memory but I believe it is fairly straight.
Out offshore in international waters do what you want as long as the right people aren't around. My ship fired 76mm rounds over the heads of some fokes on our horizon while down in the carribean. I can't imagine that would be to cool.
I used to meet up with idiots that didn't know squat and could care less about knowing. I was always impressed when I met one of the few crusty salts that took it seriously and knew their sh!t. They were the ones that came and went. The idiots almost always ended up on the boat basin wall at high tide or up on the jetty blah blah blah.
Ahh whatever. I miss "some" of that stuff...
hope this helps

miller19j
05-19-2003, 01:33 PM
The way I look at it is like this,
Most boaters know that the majority of pwc drivers are inexperienced and don’t know the rules or care for that matter. So you have to be extra careful around them. They will go jetting out in front of you, beside you, and around you. So knowing that I just do my best to avoid them, if I see one coming in my direction I assume that they will cross in front of me and take appropriate action no matter who has right of way.
Fewer and fewer people that are on the water today actually know the rules. So you have to take it upon yourself to make things safe.
Now that being said I almost took out a guy with a paddle when he almost ran over my wife on the tube! So I am not perfect either.
Oh and I recommend the coastguard course it is very informative. I personally think everyone should have to take it, it would solve a lot of these issues.
[ May 19, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

thedroid
05-19-2003, 05:02 PM
In my opinion, if an operator of a PWC cuts in front of ANY boat he/she is an idiot and doesn't deserve the priviledge of being on the water with other, more concientious boaters.
Not only do they put themselves at risk, but put people all around them at risk as well. What would have happened if his rig stalled, for whatever reason, and you had to make an evasive maneuver. Could your mother hang on tight enough to not get thrown across the boat or out of it completely?
It may sound funny, but it is very serious business, and I can guarantee that the operator of the PWC wouldn't even get a visit from boat cops if your mother or anyone else was injured in this scenario. But I can guarantee that if you ran over his/her dumb ass there would be hell to pay.
And yes, I have taken the Coast Guard safety course and have been boating skiing AND operating PWC's for 31 of my 38 Years.
Hope this will ruffle the feathers of PWC operators that don't show some respect on the water. Maybe we can get rid of a few of the bad apples.

Snorider
05-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Seems like it varies from state to state... Here in PA, you need a license to drive a PWC, and the rule is: the PWC never has the right of way, and sailboats always do. But the technical explanations is: The more manueverable boat gives up its right of way for a less manueverable boat. Seems simple, and it makes sense. Now if people only followed that rule, we would all be better off. Next time, just turn around and crank up the diverter devil

Snorider
05-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Oh, just to clarify - dont get me wrong, i am not one of those maniacs who give jetboats a bad name. True, you might see me blasting down the lake at 60mph in a 2foot high chop, but isnt that what makes jetboats soo much fun???
I would never intentionally aim my roost at another person, its just not right. One person can ruin it for everyone, and its just a shame.

Rexone
05-19-2003, 05:35 PM
PWC's are powerboats, are registered as boats and are subject to all the same navigation laws and courtesy rules as all other powerboats.

Tahiti Tiger Mark
05-19-2003, 11:15 PM
The over taking vessel must yield, however, it's like walking in a fu#%ing cross walk, the pedestrian has the right of way, but do you really want to test it when a semi is coming? The fu$k$ on jet skis are idiots, I almost hit one last year that did the same shit. He was lucky I was in a jet boat dumb shit. Throw the sucker in reverse and hit the brakes, damn near buried the nose under water to save his idiot ass.

stonehedge
05-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Lug-nut rule, plain and simple..........Back in the day most boaters referred to jet ski'ers as "cockroaches" (many still do). I was weaned on a jet ski, still ride them, but respect the hell out of everything bigger than me!.........But when mommy and daddy can put a 700 pound piece of fiberglass that does 70 plus with no brakes and throws there 7 year old on it, who needs booze for an accident?....Scary stuff, not to mention the rental issue, christ!

572Daytona
05-20-2003, 11:47 AM
As others have said power boats and PWC's are classified the same and neither are considered more manuverable for the purpose of right of way when both are operating under power. Just as a car doesn't have the right of way over a motorcycle just because it is less manuverable.
If the PWC was approaching from the right and maintaining his course and speed, it would have the right of way, if it passed you on the right and then proceeded to cut in front of you that would be a different matter.
Another good resource is the following web site: http://www.boat-ed.com/ They have online courses there and you can even get a certification card if you pass a test that may help with insurance rates.

ANGEL
05-20-2003, 01:47 PM
I remember a time i was sking behind my pops 21 f.t. omega and some dumb shit PWC driver tryed to jump his wake while i was being towed!! I had to lift the ski rope over his jetski to avoid a serious injury! i think people that just buy the shit and dont know how to work on it or drive it with respect, should take a class on safety!! AND COMMONSENCE!!

GlastronGuy
05-20-2003, 03:43 PM
I find it sad that there are boaters here that don't know the rules of the "road". I hate Big Brother breathing down my neck but I wouldn't get heartburn if safe boating classes were mandatory before anyone were allowed to operate a motorized vehicle on a body of water.

Squirtcha?
05-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Here's one of the worst jetski deals I've ever seen. I'm pulling my (then) 10 year old daughter on skis (second or maybe third time she'd skied). Asshole comes up behind us and is following about 15'- 20' right behind my daughter. I'm freaking out and trying to wave the guy off and he's waving back at me still following right behind her. I couldn't even stop or slow down for fear of him running over my kid. All I could do was continue the attempt to wave the guy off while he ignored me. This went on for probably 20 minutes (no exaggeration) or so and he finally tired of the game and left.
I stopped and picked up my kid as quick as I could in hopes of hunting the son of a bitch down but he was long gone by the time I got her and the gear back in the boat.
If ya ever hear that I'm in jail for aggravated assault..............You'll know I've found his ass!
[ May 20, 2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Mandelon
05-21-2003, 09:18 AM
ANGEL:
I remember a time i was sking behind my pops 21 f.t. omega and some dumb shit PWC driver tryed to jump his wake while i was being towed!! I had to lift the ski rope over his jetski to avoid a serious injury! i think people that just buy the shit and dont know how to work on it or drive it with respect, should take a class on safety!! AND COMMONSENCE!! I think I would have tried to "clothesline" the ****er and take him off that ski!

LaveyJet
05-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Squirtcha?:
If ya ever hear that I'm in jail for aggravated assault..............You'll know I've found his ass! Find a jury of your peers, it will be justified.

stonehedge
05-21-2003, 10:31 AM
That sucks, about the guy following your kid. When I was being taught to jet ski, pre-couch-sit-down-lazyboy-were is my drink holder, I was told to respect anything that can KILL your ass, i.e. all boats! And I've noticed very few jet ski'rs giving the "hands up" I see the water ski in the water signal. When I do this "always" people seem surprised its coming from a jet ski, that sucks, not all jet ski'rs are idiots, most but not all. Maybe because I always had stand-ups and then learned about H.P. and boating I have more respect? But in my book, f the rules, if I'm on a little piece of fiberglass the boat always wins!
[ May 21, 2003, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: stonehedge ]