PDA

View Full Version : circuit breaker popping

BIG B
03-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey everybody, I'm having a problem with my breaker popping intermittantly. It sometimes happens when I turn the key on, but mostly when the key is turned off. I have a new 65amp alt, new MSD box, new starter, and Holley red fuel pump. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lookin for Liquid
03-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Try replacing the breaker as with time they too wear out and will pop with lower amperage than normal.

BIG B
03-31-2003, 08:25 PM
I replaced the breaker mid season last year, didn't stop popping. The breaker is 35amp, should I go to a 50amp?

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2003, 08:36 PM
Did you install anything right before it started tripping? What is hot when the key is off?
How's the charging system? If you pull the ground off the battery, is there a spark (short)?

BIG B
03-31-2003, 08:46 PM
The charging system is good, nothing new was installed prior to the breaker tripping, but now that you mention it, when my battery switch is off, the cable does spark when hooked up. I don't know of anything having power when switch is off.

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2003, 08:51 PM
BIG B:
...but now that you mention it, when my battery switch is off, the cable does spark when hooked up. I don't know of anything having power when switch is off. Sounds like a short...unless your amp(s) are hooked directly to the battery.
I hook everything through my Perko switch (except my auto-bilge, but that's another story). It's a little safer in case you get a short big enough to melt a wire...
Keep disconnecting stuff until the spark stops. Then see if the breaker trips.

Chris J
04-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Could be your (new?) MDS box discharging. I had one that when you killed the ignition it would still run the motor for about 5 seconds. They store and draw a lot of current.
Do you have the main feed for the MDS box protected by the circuit breaker? It should be wire it directy to the battery or you could put it on its own breaker.