PDA

View Full Version : Berk. Pump, Oil, and blowby

probablecause
08-16-2002, 07:45 AM
To make a long story short, I had a new engine put in my boat and took it to the river. So I sat on the launch ramp and let the boat idle for about 15 minutes while still on the trailer.
However, when I went to the back fo the boat, I noticed an oil slick in the water. So I pulled the boat out and fired it after about 3o minutes and out the pump came some of my pump oil, and every time thereafter
Am I to assume that I need to rebuild the pump or should I pray that this is just a 5.00 gasket? Thanks.
Paul

diggler
08-16-2002, 07:53 AM
Paul407:
Am I to assume that I need to rebuild the pump or should I pray that this is just a 5.00 gasket? Thanks.
PaulI have the same problem with mine. I have a Berkeley 12JC. What you're probably seeing is gear oil from the bushings in the bowl that are leaking.
I had a heart attack about this as well and talked to the owner of Legend Jet Drive, (Dave). He told me that the bushings seal was probably gone, but to not worry to much. As long as the boat is in the water, the water will act as the lubricant for the bushings. However, if you run the motor out of the water, the likelihood of damaging the pump is much greater because there is obviously no water lubricating them anymore.
He said it would have to be replaced eventually though. I think this is something I could do myself because of what I've seen from the Seloc Jetdrive repair manual.
If you want, call Legend Jet Drive at 510-215-8456 and ask for Dave, the owner. Tell him the guy from Texas sent you!

rmclague
08-16-2002, 08:02 AM
Diggler is right on the money.
The same thing happened to me.
Apparently after sitting around without a motor for 8 or 9 months the bushings can get bad.
At least mine did and it leaked gear oil as fast as i could replace it.
One new bushing fixed the problem coutesy of mike at mikes pump and speed in Houston Texas
Rob

miller19j
08-16-2002, 08:43 AM
I am going through the same thing right now I hope to put my seal in tonight. I started a thread yesterday “Berkeley JC Bowl seal” To ask the correct orientation or the seal.

BobS
08-16-2002, 09:15 AM
I have the same issue with my Advantage. My seal is so bad, it leaks gear lube if I top it off and let it sit and, it leaks water if I run it and let it sit. I'm waiting 'till winter to pull the bowl. Until then I'll just keep topping it off with gear lube.

spectratoad
08-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Don't let the enviro's read this thread. eek!