PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Maxflow system

wayne ellis
01-15-2001, 08:06 PM
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for using the vortec maxflow system for 454/502? I'd appreciate any insight on these types of systems.Thanks

Kanookstr
02-25-2001, 11:45 AM
I to have the 502 EFI in a 230SX stingray, Last year I spent money on an exhaust system and the vortech maxflow EFI power pack.
It's a reprogramed ECU, Flame arrester,ignition amplifier, wires, ect..
The system came to about $1200.oo and the exhaust came to about $1600.oo.
All that money and I gain about 1-2 Mph.
At the end of the season I broke down and bought the mild stage 1 procharger. It took about 3-4 hrs to put it in, and the results were amazing!!!! almost 14 MPH gain.
I went from spinning a 25" 3 blade to spinning a 31" pitch Bravo 1 4 blade.
After doing some research I found that the 502 is the best stock merc. engine Ideal for super charging. All internal components are extream duty, including J & E forged pistons.
also the 502's stock compresion is a low 8.75:1 which is better for super charging.
Just a thought you might want to think about. to know then what I know now, I wouldn't of spent the money on the exhaust and ignition parts, and went straight for the procharger.
The stock exhaust on the 502 is fine for the stage one kit.
Good luck Hope this helped a little.
[This message has been edited by Kanookstr (edited March 18, 2001).]

Stryker
02-28-2001, 01:19 PM
Kanookstr
What kind of exaust system did you put on for 1600?
Did your rpms increase when you put on the Vortech system and how much?

Kanookstr
03-05-2001, 11:44 AM
Hello Stryker, I put the MagnaFlow System from GleenWood Marine, They are Aluminum Center rise, With a S.Steel elbow.They are comprible to Gill, Imco Powerflow, and Rex Powertorque 2, systems. They will flow enough to power a 700HP motor.
I gained Maybe 2 MPH????
Then I removed and sold the 2 systems and bought a Procharger Stage 1, 3.5 -5 lbs boost.
I was told that the stock 502 manifolds would flow enough for the now 610 HP. By Procharger themselves.
They told me they did numerous dyno's with different exhaust, and found little if no gain.
The Header exhaust systems how ever did show more rpm.
My experience was, I should of put all the money towards the proCharger system the first time, and saved a few grand. Hope this helps a little Styker.
As far as the difference goes.............I went from 73.4 MPH on GPS to 89.2 MPH.
A 16 MPH gain, and for a prop, I went from a 3 blade Mirage plus 25 pitch, to a 31 pitch Bravo 1 4 blade.
regards Claude.
ô¿ô

StingRay
03-15-2001, 03:41 PM
Kanookstr
I have a 98 230SX 502MAG with Corsa Silent Choice exhaust and I get around 72ish GPS stock. I had to put on a set of Bennett tabs to maintain stability (chine walk) at that speed due to the hull getting so high out of the water. Do you have tabs on yours and how does the boat handle those speeds? You can see my boat at this web-site.
http://www.geocities.com/h20bugged/Stingray.html

Kanookstr
03-15-2001, 04:25 PM
Hello Stingray: I do not have trim tabs. I had a few people ask me about chine walk, I use to have it but it totaly disapered when I went from a mirage 3 blade to a Bravo 1 4 blade.
I Own C & B marine, so I had some resorces to experiment with.
You have to realize that with our Z plane hull , you can overtrim and not gain any speed but it will start Chine walking.
I've run it 85+ MPH for miles across the lake, and had excellent control.
What prop are you running?
And by the way. Where did you get your graphics..There great!
I was going to order the 2001 Stingray Graphics for mine. There pretty nice too, but yours take the cake.
I also heard that the Stern Jack by land & Sea give a 8 to 10 mph gain on the 230SX 502.
Regards; Claude C & B Marine

B-rad502
04-17-2001, 02:11 PM
I got pretty positive results from mine. I just did emi headers, ecm re-calibration from az. speed & marine, vortech flame arrestor, vortech fuel optimizer and I gained a little over 200 rpm's and about 3-4 mph on the top. The boat planes MUCH quicker and has excellent mid-range response.