PDA

View Full Version : Jet Lag!!!!

sangersuperjet
06-23-2003, 05:44 PM
HELP!!!
I've got an 1979 18' Sanger Superjet. I bought the boat for a grand. I through out the 460 with the window in the block and hooked up a 9 to 1 .030 454 4bolt main. The motor has all the best Eagle crank, Cat H-beam rod, Speedpro pistons, Crane custom ground solid roller cam 670 lift 305 duration, 990 heads w/Isky springs, single tunnel ram w/ holley 1050 dominator, Bassett headers. Approx 575 hp 550tq
The problem is that the boat only goes 60mph. I've got a stock pump 12jg-A I figure the problem is the jet is tired. What should I do to make this boat run like it should? What can be modified? who can rebuild the pump local (San Jose CA.) I've heard about droop snoots, reducers, a ab b impellers, what really works. I want to go 80+.
Any input would be much apperciated!!!!
Jim
jnordwolfe@sbcglobal.net

TIMINATOR
06-23-2003, 08:09 PM
In my not so humble opinion, methinks a B impeller would get you farther into the powerband so you could use the upper end HP that the sq.ports make. you really need to spin it above 5500 (or more) with your combination to make it rock. TIMMINATOR what RPM you running now?

MikeF
06-23-2003, 08:09 PM
What RPM are you turning @ 60 mph?

MikeF
06-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Maybe a little too much duration for that comp ratio. That cam is for a rev range that a jet pump will not let the engine see.
It will bleed off cylinder pressure.
I think boxed .

TIMINATOR
06-23-2003, 08:48 PM
the big carb ,heads,and intake will aid the ram tuning effect at the higher rpm of the B impeller, all that may not be optimum, but it is easier and cheaper to cut the impeller to a B than anything else to start with, then check rpm and change cam later to optimize it. I've done this before and it is cost effective. at lower rpms I would rather use ported oval port heads, but since this is what he has, lrts try to work with it. also check to see if your cam is degreed where it should be, maybe advance it 2or 3 degrees. yuu would be shocked at my combination for 87 octane gas, but it works,AND I pull an AA impeller!

TIMINATOR
06-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Oh yeah, since it is a solid roller cam, the lash can be opened up .004 to .008 thousands, that will make the cam seem smaller too. its a good tuning tool to find out what the engine wants.