PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions:

78Eliminator
05-15-2002, 07:41 AM
1. How do you run a jet boat out of water? Is it even ok to do? Is it possible to adjust my carbs in my driveway?
2. I want a HUGE rooster. Is my best bet just to buy a Place Diverter?
Thanks guys. I just purchased my first boat so I'm new. It's a 78 Eliminator pickle with a 468 chevy, two holley 750s with tunnel ram on a high rise manifold. I love my boat.

rivercrazy
05-15-2002, 08:03 AM
There are two ways to run your boat out of the water. The best way is to disconnect the u-joints thus disconnecting the pump from the motor (and running a hose to the motor). The other way is to run a T line in between the pump and motor. That way both bet some water. If you go this route, have two water hoses. One for the "T" and one stuck up partially up the bowl of the pump.
If you run it dry you risk hurting the pump in the areas of Impeller to Wear Ring clearance and burning seals/rope packing.
One thing to keep in mind is to not turn the water on until you fire the motor. The pressure from the hose can overpressurize the cooling system resulting in major problems.
It you want to roost you have a few alternatives. A place diverter will give you a fairly wicked roost out of the box. If you want a really high one, add a rooster booster from place diverter or by a 4 degree wedge. The other alternative is to add on a droop snoot (along with the place diverter). I would only go with a droop if your boat runs really wet and you need more lift.
Good luck and welcome to the boards!

Beavertim
05-15-2002, 08:05 AM
78 Eliminator,
Congratulations on your new boat. I also have a 78 Eliminator, but it's of the 21 ft sport cruiser variety.
There was a huge discussion on running the boat out of the waster on the other Jet board (Jet talk) about a month ago. You can do a search and retrieve it. Lots of differing opinions. One thing for sure though, if you're going to do it for more than a minute or so, you need to connect a water supply (your hose)to your engine. I always hook up the hose, then start the motor, then turn on the water. Keep in mind your hose pressure may be as high as 60 psi, so you may not want to turn it on all the way. As you will see on the other thread, there were lots of differing opinions about feeding water to the jet. I duct taped a hose to my loader grate that sent a stream of water into the impeller.
Enjoy you're boat, and you came to the right board for information. There are a lot of guys on here with a wealth of information. Tim

HBjet
05-15-2002, 08:49 AM
Welcome to the Boards, and congrats on the Eliminator!
Like Rivercrazy posted, the best way to do this is to disconnect the u-joint between the motor and the pump. Pumps were designed to run in the water. Now, if you do disconnect the pump and hook a water line up to the motor [different opinion then RC] I suggest you turn the water on a half turn. Wait until you have water flowing thru and out of the motor and the boat until you fire it up. Once you fire up the motor, turn the water on another half turn.
Now, if your not going to disconnect the driveline, just take your garden hose and stick it through the nozzle at the end of the pump until the end of the hose it just inside or before the bowl veins. Turn on the hose 2 or 3 turns and then fire up the motor, but try to avoid reving.
Good Luck!
HBjet

old rigger
05-15-2002, 09:23 AM
78 eliminator,
Do as rivercrazy says and put a T in line when you run the boat on the trailer. This way you feed the motor and the pump at the same time, not needing to stuff another hose up the grate or in the nozzle to keep the pump wet. You can also regulate the flow of water, while on the hose, by adjusting the gate valve on the pump, being able to dump more water in the pump or a little more to the engine.
No need to wait to start the motor to turn on the water,(unless you're running headers) the water presure comming throught the hose will be the same weather the thing is running or not, there's no pump pumping it faster when it's running. Just make sure, like HBJet says, and dont turn the hose on full force.
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited May 15, 2002).]

HBjet
05-15-2002, 11:59 AM
Old Rigger, for the number of times he might do this, don't you think adding a T inline between the gate valve and the line going to the block would be a little much? If you stick the hose in the back of the pump, the impeller will pump the motor with water while keeping the bowl as full as it can. I would also think you wouldn't want to pump water into the bowl, where water is pumped out of. I would think the pump would get some water, but mostly trying to push it back to the motor. Anyways, he should be fine with any of these ideas.
The best though, is dissconnect the driveline and not worry about the pump.
HBjet

Slick
05-15-2002, 12:10 PM
HBJet,
Some of us don't have the luxury of a 4pt engine mount. I have a 3pt mount and it's a real pain in butt to disconnect the driveline. I have a T-line on my pump. I don't think it would be a big deal to add one. Mine is constructed of parts you can get at the local hardware store.

HBjet
05-15-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Slick:
HBJet,
Some of us don't have the luxury of a 4pt engine mount. I have a 3pt mount and it's a real pain in butt to disconnect the driveline. I have a T-line on my pump. I don't think it would be a big deal to add one. Mine is constructed of parts you can get at the local hardware store.
Never thought about you 3pt mount guys. Yeah, I know you can construct one from the hardware store. I'm just glad you have a covered motor so no one will see those Home Depot tags laying around in there...haha! J/K
HBjet

old rigger
05-15-2002, 01:06 PM
HBJet,
I don't know what you mean by a little much? You can make one of these for about 5 bucks and when its not in use, take it off and put it on the shelf. I would hook up mine and run the boat for over an hour after I took it in the ocean. I don't know how you'd flush the salt out of the motor and the pump without one. This was with a blue printed pump too.
Have broke in many cams using this set up as well.
It's fool proof.

HBjet
05-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Old Rigger, in your situation (taking the boat in the ocean) I can see what you mean, by wanting a T to flush out both motor and pump after being in salt water. What this guy was wondering was for adjusting his carbs in the driveway, what would be best? That is why I suggested removing the driveline, and if that is not an option, put a hose in the back of the pump to pump water in the block. Simple for this new boater. Doesn't have to go buy or install anything. Anyways, either way will work, it's up to the owner.
HBjet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

lakesmodified
05-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by HBjet:
Old Rigger, in your situation (taking the boat in the ocean) I can see what you mean, by wanting a T to flush out both motor and pump after being in salt water. What this guy was wondering was for adjusting his carbs in the driveway, what would be best? That is why I suggested removing the driveline, and if that is not an option, put a hose in the back of the pump to pump water in the block. Simple for this new boater. Doesn't have to go buy or install anything. Anyways, either way will work, it's up to the owner.
HBjet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Old rigger, you've broken-in cams just using hte "T" fitting? Is that supplying enough water to run that engine at 2000RPM for 20 minutes without any damage to the pump and seals? Ivan

bobz
05-15-2002, 01:51 PM
dont run the pump out of water it eats the berrings and will damage the shaft.

old rigger
05-15-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by bobz:
dont run the pump out of water it eats the berrings and will damage the shaft.
??????? I've never heard of anyone hurting the bearings or shaft (or wear ring) that was running the the boat on a trailer using the proper water hookup and using common sense.
Guys do far more damage to their pumps by dragging the boat across the desert, throwing up road dirt and dust into the intake and launching their boat without rinsing out the pump first. They'll do far more damage running the thing in shallow water than you'd ever do on the trailer.

Boater Bill
05-15-2002, 05:11 PM
old rigger you crack me up. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif BTW guys the T works great!

HBjet
05-15-2002, 06:27 PM
I run with a pressure regulator between the pump and the motor. If I want to run the motor on the trailer (out of the water) I disconnect the driveline, and install an adapter hose to the inlet side of the regulater which hooks up to the garden hose. Turn on the water 1 turn and i'm in business.
HBjet

RiverToysJas
05-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy:
One thing to keep in mind is to not turn the water on until you fire the motor. The pressure from the hose can overpressurize the cooling system resulting in major problems.
Why does it matter? Do you run a water pump of some sort? I don't have any water pumps (other than the bowl of the jet), therefore the water doesn't know if the engine is running or not. It just goes through to the exhaust either way.
Maybe it's different with OTT headers, but I can't really see why it would be.
RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

old rigger
05-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
Why does it matter? Do you run a water pump of some sort? I don't have any water pumps (other than the bowl of the jet), therefore the water doesn't know if the engine is running or not. It just goes through to the exhaust either way.
Maybe it's different with OTT headers, but I can't really see why it would be.
RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
RTJas,
Your right about the motor not having to be on to run water through it. I guess in theory you could flush the engine with out even running it.
But like I said, with bassets or other headers, the water should be turned on after the motor is fired, because the water pressure from the hose, can push the spring back on the bassett T, open the ball valve and flood the headers with H2O, then the cylinders.
Been there before.
What a mess.
I guess you could turn it on low at first so you wouldn't push water past the valve. But not me. No, I turned that ****er on full blast then fired, or tried to fire the thing up. Another costly lesson when I was a dumb kid.

Bense468
05-15-2002, 07:06 PM
You guys crack me up. A T is to difficult and is "too much" taking the drive shaft off is not too much? Or amking sure the water is off when firing the motor. Turn it on a little and fire away it does not build pressure it comes out your dump. In my opinion I would do what Old Rigger does. I have many of times and my pump still runs hard. He is right about running through the desert. It is much worse then in the drive way. If you are going to run your motor for hours for some reason out of the water (am not sure why you would do this) Then yes take the drive line off and it is safer. Running a "T" is sufficent I think for a carb adjustment.

old rigger
05-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Bense468:
. If you are going to run your motor for hours for some reason out of the water (am not sure why you would do this)
Bense468
Sometimes I'd get lonely, drag the boat out, hook it up to the hose, light the motor, grab a beer or 2, and pretend I was on the water. A big fan helps to, gives a sensation of speed. Probably more than I ever got on the water!!!!!!
Hate to admit it, but I've even run out of gas doing this.

Old Guy
05-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Sometimes I'd get lonely, drag the boat out, hook it up to the hose, light the motor, grab a beer or 2, and pretend I was on the water. A big fan helps to, gives a sensation of speed. Probably more than I ever got on the water!!!!!!
Hate to admit it, but I've even run out of gas doing this. [/B][/QUOTE]
old rigger ....way cool man. I could do that. I know I could do that.
old

timitunnel
05-15-2002, 08:22 PM
I just sit in the seat and make motor noises. The more alcohal I add the louder the motor gets. On the plus side, my nabors leave me alone.

WetNwild
05-15-2002, 09:34 PM
I dont understand. If you put a T line between the pump and the engine, wont the pump be trying to pump the water out of the pump through the hole you are trying to run it into, to wet the pump. How can the pump take water in through the hole it is trying to pump water out. Is the gate valve the water line shut off (like in my water foucite) in-between the engine and the pump. New to the bord and lerning so much.

riodog
05-15-2002, 10:00 PM
Are you guys for real? This conversation is so boring I'd rather listen to killer-whats-his-ass yapping about good ole' crouch-rot! Put the damn "T" in the line and turn on the damn hose about half. God, next I'm gonna have to hear about puttin oil in the bowl in sunny so. cal. Please, don't start!
Riodog

wsm9808
05-15-2002, 10:15 PM
the line coming out of the pump to feed the engine cooling water is just a hole that goes into the front of the bowl area. When the motor is running in the water, the pump is "loaded" with a solid block of water against the impeller eye and the pump builds pressure in the bowl because there is no air in the bowl, and the pressurized water goes through the bleed hole and to the motor. When you run it on the trailer. the water you supply the pump through the engine cooling hose(or any other way) is in too small amount to presserize the bowl and has too much air mixed in with it, so it just splashs around in the pump and lubes/cools things and the excess just runs out the nozzel. so, you CAN bottle feed your pump through the engine hose. All you are trying to do is get some water in your pump, it doesnt matter if you stick a hose in the intake, the nozzel or use a T or all three, just get some water flowing in it.
[This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited May 15, 2002).]

AGGRESSOR JETS
05-16-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by old rigger:
Bense468
Hate to admit it, but I've even run out of gas doing this. If you ever need a spotter, Give me a Call. Ive got a new Shady Brady- I need to get river ready and a five gallon gas can- Man Ive been there- Dave

old rigger
05-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Dave,
could have used your help last time. I must have had a few to many cool ones, was getting kinda hot, thought I'd cool off by taking a dip, broke my nose on the driveway. Kids all got a laugh out of it, wife went back inside, embarresed. Thank God I had my life jacket on. Injuries could have been much worse.
Boat ran good that day, went undefeated in ALL river races.
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited May 16, 2002).]

Bense468
05-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by old rigger:
Dave,
could have used your help last time. I must have had a few to many cool ones, was getting kinda hot, thought I'd cool off by taking a dip, broke my nose on the driveway. Kids all got a laugh out of it, wife went back inside, embarresed. Thank God I had my life jacket on. Injuries could have been much worse.
Boat ran good that day, went undefeated in ALL river races.
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited May 16, 2002).]
Oh god I am laughing because I have been there. I think all of us at one time or another when our boats were down pretended we were racing in the drive way. My roommate and I have both of our boats in the driveway side by side. His is a flat and we pretended we were going at it. People thought we were nuts. Making noises with your mouth.