PDA

View Full Version : Which Jet pump is the best?

stump
08-27-2003, 03:44 PM
I dont know anything about jet boats ,but if I was to look for one what pump would be better than another?

victorfb
08-27-2003, 03:51 PM
uh oh !!!! you just WANT to cause sh*t dont you? :D
for $ to performance ratio, id say the Berkeley. but there are many variables to go by.

1Bahnerjet
08-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Hey Stump, This question has been asked at least 6 times, do a search. I got a Question for you. you have a '79 Mandella? can you Post some Pictures and History. When did they Stop Building Mandella's (I thought before '79 ?) I think Mandella's are COOL And have a Lot of History.
-------
Thats BANNER with an H

bigriverdog
08-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Come on Victor, be nice. Everybody knows "PANTHER JETS" are the bomb digity. :)

Floored
08-27-2003, 05:14 PM
I think my Jacuzzi is best. It fits the holes in my boat perfectly and keeps the boat from sinking as well as propelling it foreward. Thats all I can ask. :D

1Bahnerjet
08-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Hey, Floored you have a '97 Biesemeyer Jet? They were still Building those untill recently, or are they Still? where are they Making them and By Whom? Like Mandella's I alway Thought Biesemeyer's were COOL!
-------
Thats BANNER with an H

HammerDown
08-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Do a search...all the info you could ever want to know about is here.

1Bahnerjet
08-27-2003, 05:30 PM
Hey Hammerdown, you have a '21 Eliminator Jet? yes I know they are Still Making Them, The Question is can Anybody Still Afford one! (Daytona's Are The BEST) :D
-------
Thats BANNER with an H

Jake W
08-27-2003, 07:28 PM
1Bahnerjet you makin friends?It is simple if you were to look for a used boat look for one that has a Berk in it if you are talking about one in the 70s if a little newer then a Dominator or American Turbine would be good too.I would not buy one with a Jacuzzi pump in it you will be changing it in the future or trying to put Berk parts on or in it.Panthers are another storie good but only for a ski boat.Oh one more thing try to stay away from a boat with a Berk E pumps in them.The C and G are better for preformance up grades like set backs and shoes and ride plates.Now if you do not care about preformance than any pump would do.Yea I know I have ofended alot of people but I still say if I knew back when I bought my first jet the stuff I know now I would have alot more money in my wallet.
Jake :D

HammerDown
08-27-2003, 08:29 PM
1Bahnerjet:
Hey Hammerdown, you have a '21 Eliminator Jet? yes I know they are Still Making Them, The Question is can Anybody Still Afford one! (Daytona's Are The BEST) :D
-------
Thats BANNER with an H There out there...just have to be in the right place at the right time...I got my boat for pennys on the dollar eek! ...Cant tell ya what I payed...because that sure aint what I'd sell it for! wink

Floored
08-27-2003, 09:13 PM
after mine was built Steele Marine in phoenix,as I was told bought the rights to the molds and name, but I am not absolutely sure of all the story. I heard the mold is either in Phoenix or Lake Havasu. They made some jets and Outboard versions. I am happy with mine and knowing that there aren't many around is kinda cool. You don't go somewhere and see 12 others.

dgie
08-27-2003, 10:24 PM
floored do you have any more pics of your boat?

Floored
08-27-2003, 11:00 PM
a few I can download in morn. hows engine coming Dgie? saw a little bad weather out your way yesterday. 1 Bahnerjet I think Ducky used to work for Steele before they closed up shop. He may know more history of late Biesemeyers than I.

dgie
08-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Yea the weather is always changing out here. I tore the motor down more then before, tonight. I descided to pull the pistons and get all the bearings changed, cam and main, and start fresh. I also wanted to reasure that the builder before put in the restrictors in like I asked him too. It looks like he did as planned. What got me is on the original motor that I pulled out of the boat when I bought it (cracked block). 455 bored .030 had what looked like the same pistons that I have now, but there was a groove in those pistons, on top, but not on my current ones. Not sure what it is for. I think I remember the dude on the ROP board telling me that he can instruct me in doing something with the exhaust. I am not sure if this is what he is talking about. ROP board went down, due to martians zapping the server or something, so I have to wait until tomorrow to ask him. If you know feel free to shed some light on this mystery for me.

Floored
08-28-2003, 07:59 AM
the groove was probably the valve reliefs on the piston tops. posted a couple more pics this morn. the exhaust mod may be to seperate the center exhaust port into two ports from 1 siamesed port that trashes exhaust flow with headers. dont forget to drill the oil holes in the main bearings like the article shows. We've had lots of monsoons here and havn't gotten the boat out in a couple days. good luck

stump
08-28-2003, 08:56 AM
I honestly dont know when mandella quit building boats.Mine is a 79 according to the numbers.The original LS7 block also had 1978 casting numbers.the v drive and all the other small parts have 78 cast numbers.I was curious about the jet pumps ,which ones being better.The guys we met at the river here all have jets and i was wondering about pumps.so far around here we have 2 eliminator 19 daytona tunnells,one biesemeyer jet,there's a few others but i cant remember the brands i'll try and take some digital pics next time we are out.

BUSTI
08-28-2003, 02:05 PM
I am in the process of restoring a 1975 Spectra 20 river cruiser recently purchased from RiverDave. During my investigation of whether or not to make the blank hull a v-drive or return it to its original form as a jet I have interviewed a number of great boat shops here in SoCal, and regarding jet pumps two builders have recommended Legend jet pumps. That includes Jack at MPD and he comes highly regarded from many on this board. I have only owned berkley jets Like the one,jc, in my sanger Super Jet with great reliabiluty and performance. However if I go with a jet for the Spectra it will be a brand new Legend.

1Bahnerjet
08-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the reply's Stump, Floored & Hammerdown. As for the Question, (Best Jet) I have a Berkeley Suction Piece (ramp loader), Aggressor 9 Vane Bowl, Legend B impellor, Place Diverter with the Red insert, And a Ride Plate (for me that set-up is the BEST).Hammerdown How much would a NEW Daytona '21 cost today? 50-60 Grand?
----------
Thats BANNER with an H

dgie
08-29-2003, 12:30 AM
floored boat looks good, If you get a chance one day, can you get a picture of your ride plate from underneath. I am curious how it attaches and looks mounted to the pump Inlet. You can view my boat in the image center under "Darren"
[ August 29, 2003, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: dgie ]

HammerDown
08-29-2003, 04:04 AM
1Bahnerjet:
Hammerdown How much would a NEW Daytona '21 cost today? 50-60 Grand? Depending on power plant...heck one could spend that much just for an Engine. A friend of mine has a new 21 Daytona, Blower Motor and all the bells and wistles, delivered to him for a tic over $50.000. another one had a 21 Daytona delivered to him with everything minus the motor and that was $30.000.
Like I said...I was in the right place at the right time...talked my talk and got my boat for pennyies on the Dollar...what a savings :D
PS. my Avatar is my Daytona :cool:
[ August 29, 2003, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

beached 1
08-29-2003, 04:46 AM
BUSTI:
I am in the process of restoring a 1975 Spectra 20 river cruiser recently purchased from RiverDave. During my investigation of whether or not to make the blank hull a v-drive or return it to its original form as a jet I have interviewed a number of great boat shops here in SoCal, and regarding jet pumps two builders have recommended Legend jet pumps. That includes Jack at MPD and he comes highly regarded from many on this board. I have only owned berkley jets Like the one,jc, in my sanger Super Jet with great reliabiluty and performance. However if I go with a jet for the Spectra it will be a brand new Legend. I would say V-drive all the way as long as you don't plan to boat in shalow waters. I have a Spectra20 with a MPD prepped berk JC w/ a SS AB. It performs great, but I can't imagine how fast it'd be if were a V-drive. I boat where the water is very shallow with lots of sand bars and I don't like having to worry about water levels, where I'm going, etc.

pops1
08-29-2003, 11:03 AM
stump:
I dont know anything about jet boats ,but if I was to look for one what pump would be better than another? IF YOUR BUYING USED -BERKELEY/DOMINATOR/-
JACUZZI OR ANY AXIAL FLOWS SHOULD BE OUT. EFFICIENT PERFORMANCE. IF YOUR BUYING NEW-DO YOUR HOME WORK- 2 PUMPS WILL NOT INTERCHANGE WITH ANYTHING 1 OF THESE WAS DESIGNED FOR A V6 PUMP THAT DID NOT WORK- IF YOU WANT PERFORMANCE LOOK AND ASK. ONE HOLDS MOST ALL RECORDS. YOU MUST RESEARCH IT YOUR SELF-AS MOST ON THIS BOARD HOOK TO A NAME AND PAY & DO NOT DO THERE OWN TRUE RESEARCH. WHAT EVER YOU BUY-"BUY IT AND ENJOY IT" AND DON'T LOOK BACK- JUST GET TO THE RIVER WHERE GOD IS! POP'S

Jet Hydro
08-29-2003, 11:29 AM
I have to reply to this topic even with as much as I have held back, I just cant do it any longer.LOL...
I would have to say that Aggressor has the best deal as I my self have seen the advantages of the change from a Dominator to an Aggressor. I cant find one place where I haven't seen a gain in performance, "from the hole shot to the top end". If your looking for a new pump just remember that the set-up is the most important thing. Have someone that know`s what they are doing set-up your pump or you wont be happy with what ever pump you choose. It`s not just a bolt on part if you want top performance!

Jake W
08-29-2003, 11:53 AM
POPs some times your answers are very veag (sp).Can you tell us with one was built for a v6?And one more thing are you checking your parts for quality control?
Thanks Jake