PDA

View Full Version : Need help-- oil everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-12-2002, 07:42 PM
Me and my friend took his jet (455 olds) out today and it ran good all day. While we were comming back in he was hot on the throttle and I looked back an noticed oil everywhere. We shut the motor down to look. We found oil all over the side where the breather was located. Then we looked at the other side where the pcv was located an it was dry and no oil. Would all the oil come from the breather? What would cause this to happen? Can he run 2 pcv's to replace the breather filter? Someone please help. What should we do?

Cas
05-12-2002, 10:23 PM
hopefully it's not something big but you might want to do a compression test.
We had someone experience the exact same thing last year with an Olds and it turned out to be a hole in a piston.

bobz
05-13-2002, 05:45 AM
most likely the valve cover filled with oil and out it comes all over the place. check your drain holes!

searssears1
05-13-2002, 06:46 AM
396,I had the same problem with mine.I put 2 pcv's and it took care of the problem.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-13-2002, 09:46 AM
That was the answer to my question. thanks searssears1. I will also tell him to do a compression test.

Bense468
05-13-2002, 11:04 AM
Yeah but see that took care of it leaking out of the boat but may not have taken care of the problem. Olds have problems with oil. You might want to talk to someone that knows a little more about olds motors. I bet there is something up here and it may cause issues down the road.

searssears1
05-13-2002, 11:42 AM
That's a good point,I have 3/16 restrictors in mine.But it could be something more to it.

cncer691
05-13-2002, 03:20 PM
searssears1, you say you run two pcv? Is that one on each valve cover, and with a tee on the vacuum line, or two ports? My olds leaks like about a cup of oil each time I go out, so this work. Only my carb doesn't have any vacuum port, so where would I put a vacuum fitting(s)?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Its my buddies boat and I will pass the info along.Although another told me that the rings might be going out. I will inform my friend.

searssears1
05-13-2002, 05:41 PM
cncer691,Yes there is one on each fwd end of the valve covers.And I have a breather on each valve cover aft end.

searssears1
05-13-2002, 05:43 PM
cncer691,Yes there is one on each fwd end of the valve covers with a tee on the vac line.And I have a breather on each valve cover aft end.

cncer691
05-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Who makes these 2 hole valve covers. I have a set of Edelbrock and also Hardin, but they only have 1 hole per cover.

searssears1
05-14-2002, 04:36 AM
I also have the same valve covers as you cncer691.I had to drill the extra holes myself,but only in the edelbrocks not the hardins.

flat broke
05-14-2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by searssears1:
396,I had the same problem with mine.I put 2 pcv's and it took care of the problem.
Acutally the "problem" is still present, its just that you don't see the symptom (oil all over the place) any longer. Olds pump too much oil up top for the speed at which they can drain it back to the pan. Combine this with some rings that are a little on the loose side and you'll have plenty of oil to puke out of the heads. All the PCV is doing is allowing this oil to be ingested by the motor, instead of spewing out of a breather. I would still do a compression test on all 8 to see what your getting. And then if you want to run dual PCV's go ahead, but know that you could be sucking oil right out of your motor.
Good luck,
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

cyclone
05-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Chris is correct and running 2 PCV's is not fixing the situation. You need to address the problem of returning the oil to the pan once it reaches the valvetrain. If you look at the photos of my motor in the media center, you'll see that i have a rather large "puke tank" for the oil to accumulate in. I run this in conjuction with oil restrictors in the lifter bores and under the main bearings in the block. This has completely eliminated the problem and my transom stays clean no matter how hard i beat on my 455. Give Mondello a call and he can sell you everything you need to keep your olds motor together. The only downside to all of this, is that you have to tear down your block to install the oil restrictors. A temporary fix might be to just install some return lines from the valve covers down to the oil pan.