PDA

View Full Version : 460 rebuild - GS marine ???

82SleekCraft
05-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Hey guys,
Just had a few laughs on the 454 rebuild saga argue that I just had to post this one wink .
Can anybody recommend a shop who will do a good 460 rebuild? LOL. :D
Lighten up, guys. boxed

HBjet
05-17-2003, 09:12 PM
GS Marine will treat you right! I highly recommend them! And for pump work, go to Tom Papp Racing or send your pump out to Hi-Tech Performance. Duane will do you right!
Hope this helps
HBjet

HammerDown
05-18-2003, 09:30 AM
HBjet:
GS Marine will treat you right! I highly recommend them! And for pump work, go to Tom Papp Racing or send your pump out to Hi-Tech Performance. Duane will do you right!
Hope this helps
HBjet HB...you feeling alright? Fever maybe...lol.
PS..(Tom Papp and Duane ) get my vote for the above.

HBjet
05-18-2003, 09:56 AM
HammerDown:
HB...you feeling alright?Yeah, I just want to make sure I don't piss anyone off, and I believe the customer would be happy!
HBjet

HammerDown
05-18-2003, 10:28 AM
HBjet:
HammerDown:
HB...you feeling alright?Yeah, I just want to make sure I don't piss anyone off, and I believe the customer would be happy!
HBjet You don't want to "piss anyone off"...F-Them!
Hey HB...if you have the desire to refer MPD and DNE for a place for some locals and thoses that don't mind traveling to get there work done, than just do it...It's not like your giving them (Bad) advice...heck if they were in my area with there reputation, I'd sure be using them...just as if Duane or Papp were in my area....
Any GOOD advice is worth sharing.

HBjet
05-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Well, I have no problem with recommending the shops I use (as you can tell) but I find it funny that some people get on my shit about that. Look, I only recommend them because I haven't heard of ONE unhappy customer. Now how is that? We have heard of unhappy customers from GS and a few others, but can someone point out ONE unhappy customer from MPD or DNE? Can they?
I've yet to see one, but still, people think they don't know what they are doing.
I find it funny. Besides, I'm at the point to where as long as my boat hauls ass, who gives a shit about anyone elses. I don't mind helping out my friends that I have made through this forum, but I'm done recommending for a while.
HBjet

HBjet
05-18-2003, 12:52 PM
riodog:
HB, you're getting to be as sarcastic and smartassed as me.lol. How do you stand yourself?
Michael :D Just fine! BTW, what does that daytona look like again? You never answered my question on the colors? I want to know so when I pass you, I know it's you! :p
HBjet
[ May 18, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

Cs19
05-18-2003, 07:52 PM
post the pic. i want to see it, im a daytona fan.

HBjet
05-19-2003, 01:33 AM
I've seen this one before!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20Daytona_4_Sale-med.jpg (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20Daytona_4_Sale.jpg)
and these I've had for a while
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2019Daytona-2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2019Daytona.jpg
So I take it that 120mph is GPS verified? Also, do you run her at Lost Lake? If it runs 120, then you should win a lot if not most of the races.....
HBjet

Kwicherbichen
05-20-2003, 12:34 AM
82SleekCraft:
Hey guys,
Just had a few laughs on the 454 rebuild saga argue that I just had to post this one wink .
Can anybody recommend a shop who will do a good 460 rebuild? LOL. :D
Lighten up, guys. boxed If Tom Papp can't do it he knows a guy that can. I can't remember the guy's name but he's suppposed to be some Ford guru. Call Tom if only to ask questions (909) 734-4606

burbanite
05-20-2003, 07:33 AM
riodog, tell me a little about the wing, is it adjustable or fixed, what was the boat doing that made you go this route, lifting the front I presume?

HBjet
05-20-2003, 09:48 AM
From what I've seen on other Daytona's, they are adjustable. I've mostly seen them on race boats.
HBjet

pops1
05-21-2003, 05:36 PM
HammerDown:
HBjet:
Hope this helps
HBjet HB...you feeling alright? Fever maybe...lol.
PS..(Tom Papp and Duane ) get my vote for the above. Dang H.B. I go off the Board for several months and come back on-I see a new forums sponcer DANA, a new sign in layout and a new H.B.
A OK! Dave-Aggressor

HBjet
05-21-2003, 05:57 PM
riodog:
At 'speed' a Daytona, with a lot of weight in the rear will tend to 'blow-over' at a speed of(100-?)I'm not saying you aren't right, but I have always been under the impression that a tunnel such as a Daytona is faster when the motor is more forward then your average lake boat setup. It's faster because it's not dragging the ass of the hull into the water, and faster would also mean not as safe as a boat with all of the weight in the rear. When RacingRascal had his 1000hp blower motor in his Ultra Shadow, since the motor was in the traditional lake boat location (so you have have a back set for midgets) his boat would be a lot safer then if there wasn't a back seat and the motor forward. Anyways, just what I have been under the impression of.
BTW, you never said if you GPS'd the boat, or did someone like Greg drive it and say it can reach 120mph?
HBjet

HBjet
05-22-2003, 12:41 AM
riodog:
Welcome back Dave, and NO not a new HB, same old shit, wants to pick apart anything anyone says right down to the "don't make a ****in bit of difference at all anyway point"!
HB, you just don't know when to shut up! I try to 'toss you a bone', and all youi want to do is get nitpicky. Greg hasn't driven the boat in a couple of years (if I remember correctly) and I said it has a GPS speedo in it. Plus the use of the radar gun on the bouy at Elsinore.
Gee, did RR's boat ever run correctly? Why did he get rid of it ? The truth if you please! Don't bother ! God, at 1 am I don't need your aggrevation before work. At one time, many years ago I had a partner that, after he read the "book" was an 'instant expert', but when you put a wrench, gun, etc in his hand -DAH, he didn't have a clue as to what o do with it ! Welcome to HB's world! Don't know if you'd read your e-mail but don't bother. I don't think I want my friends to have to put up with your crap abd therefore will recommend not buying your parts. Personaly, YOU appear to be on auto-****. as you just don't know when to be quiet. I don't have the patience for you!
Rio Dude, where the **** is this comming from? I was just wondering about the 120mph, not saying your boat isn't capable, just asking how it was read. GPS, Radar, whatever. I persoanlly like your boat and I even talked about how bitchin it looks to MissHBjet tonight. I don't know what it is with you and posting late at night, but it seems when you do, your all bent out of shape.
Whatever man.
HBjet

HBjet
05-22-2003, 12:48 AM
BTW, here are riodogs pics he emailed me.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20DSCF0032.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20DSCF0030.jpg
HBjet

burbanite
05-22-2003, 06:15 AM
riodog:
Burbanite, ya it's adjustable. It's used to keep the "attitude" of the boat where it should be. At 'speed' a Daytona, with a lot of weight in the rear will tend to 'blow-over' at a speed of(100-?) Depending upon the weight and balance-
think I have some 'entertaining' pics, if I can find them I'll e-mail them to HBjet and he can post them. Takes me too long.
Rio Thanks riodog.
The reason I ask is that our race cars are sensitive to changes in wing angle as small as 1/4 deg. and I always wondered what effect a wing on a boat was really having given the fact that they pitch so much. I could imagine that one minute the wing is producing the necessary amount of downforce and the next you could conceivably have none...not a good thing.
In my original question I should have asked whether or not it was "driver adjustable" to suit the conditions. I can only presume that there were a lot of runs made to arrive at the setting you have. Looks cool as well.

Windy
05-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Riodog,
Daytonas have always been one of our favorite hulls. Riverliver's 25 Daytona GPS'd 110 mph a couple months ago, so we have no doubt yours can reach the 120 mph mark.
MissHBjet

Blown 472
05-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Dont you people work, wtf are you doing post at 1:40 in the morning??

565edge
05-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Rio i thought you had a cal performance?Nice boat,did you buy it or did you build it?I remember seeing that boat for sale,How far is your rear motor plate off transom?Looks as though we feel the same about hbjet!I like your pics of the blow over,ouch.

wrightnow
05-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Hey Everyone,
It's been a while since I'v been watching the board, but I see nothing has changed, someone gives some good advice and then we attach them to cover up what were not sure of.
I have to agree with HB about MPD and DNE, I'm a loyal customer to both and have NEVER been happier. And yes I have tried others.
The only real time I'm concern about losing a race (river racing) is when I line up with another custmer of MPD and then it comed down to HP other wise it's my race.
As I see it anyone can be fast given enought room, But it's all about being quick....
Later
Mark

PipesClean
05-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Aren't you supposed to be gone by now?

HBjet
05-22-2003, 09:54 PM
riodog:
I'll try and address all of the above however at my age and mental state it'll be rough.Thank you Miss HB however ( I'm not trying to be rude) whether anyone likes this boat or that has absolutely nothing to do with anything I've ever addressed. What set me off was, let's put it this way- If, when you get back from the manicurist, one of your nails is 1/64 of an inch longer than the others-IS HB measuring, filing, squauking, wanting to know if was measured with a tape measure or if a digital precision instrument was used and if the person using it was certified or not and by the standards of which board? Get my point!
Randy, I'm sorry if I damaged your sensitive nature BUT " it don't f*%kin matter! 119, 102, 121, GPS, radar, a long string, Lowriver's estimating. All BS aside, If I remember correctly, the last years top speed was 111 mph as I wasn't getting full rpm, finally figured it out so who knows? To be perfectly honest, after the last 2 years I really could care less if it was on the bottom of the river, sold, burned or whatever. It just really doesn't interest me any more.Don't want sympathy but with a divorce (good thing), passing of my Dad, passing of my dog,Rio- (bad things), closing a company,(thieving employees-should have just shot um).
Blown, maybe that's why i'm in a rotten mood. I was on my way out the door to face at least 150,000 assholes!
565, I can't really say HBjet is a 'bad boy', he just get's a little picky-assed for details every now and then. I don't ever try to just rely on memory as it's too fallible. Whether it's in reference to my reloading pistol ammo, flying the plane, spec's on the boat or engine, etc., I always use a checklist, owners manual, jot notes in a book, etc. I think I should have my name printed on my shirt sometimes. I just forgot what I was gonna say- oh yeah, he ain't so bad- HE"S got miss HB!
Rear of engine to transom is 26 inches, the driveshaft is 12 inches. Pump is setback with the handhole completely out the back.
HB, in regards to another comment, at speed, the only part of the boat that is in the water is about thirty inches in the rear. Basically, a little before the intake. I've got a picture somewhere that is shot from the river water line and is showing the bank on the far side.
burbanite, the wing works! Last year on the strip, a big boat cut across my bow and threw up a monsoon that tore the wing completely off the boat. While waiting for a new one, I ran without one and the bow positively grabs for more sky. Not adjustable from the drivers seat. Thought about it as it wouldn't be that difficult however if it were to be used during a race all I could see would be an accident unless it was computer controlled as everything happens so quickly.
HB, if the motor was set back any further the boat would be unmanagable. Too much weight too far back. If fact, I would bet that the boat would sink just sitting at anchor(don't bet- I've already been there and done that). Tag the throttle and all you see would be sky and when you let off, BACKSLIDE. Straight down. Way back in the olden day's when Greg and the boys started playing with this design, you didn't find all of the innercoolers with huge blowers which equals much more weight.
By the way, like the picture? Sort of looks like a little upside down monkey, doesn't it? Actually it's one of Gregs better photos! You can tell- he had it under control and was testing the aerodynamics from the wrong side up!
Actually the photo was from the National enquirer about 20 years ago.
Mark, the race is on, You're a young sprout with faster reflexes so in order for me to have a chance we'll race from Big River to the Parker Bridge. That way, I'll be out of fuel and can float back down stream. I won't be down til Sunday-see you then.
565, No, just the Daytona, had a Bohner (which I think is still on the bottom of elsinore)(happened after I sold it), but I did talk to Bill S. yesterday at GS, I think he'll be around til Saturday.
Well, I think I got most things answered. If anyones down at Big River on Sunday/Mon, or next weekend, find me and we'll have a laugh as the tugboat just got put back togather and I don't have a clue what it will do.
Oh yeah, HB, if I remember right, It went thru the traps at Ming at about 125 or 127? Had to be about 1995 or so.
If anyone's got a tube or a banana or whatever, I'd just love to take HB for a pull whatdayathink? lol
Rio
Hb, go ahead and call as he could use the parts, and I'll be waiting for my commission check. Didn't realize your life is sucking so bad! Hope things get better for you soon.
Interesting read though.
HBjet :D
[ May 22, 2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

burbanite
05-23-2003, 08:08 AM
riodog:
burbanite, the wing works! Last year on the strip, a big boat cut across my bow and threw up a monsoon that tore the wing completely off the boat. While waiting for a new one, I ran without one and the bow positively grabs for more sky. Not adjustable from the drivers seat. Thought about it as it wouldn't be that difficult however if it were to be used during a race all I could see would be an accident unless it was computer controlled as everything happens so quickly.
Thanks, sorry to hear about the bad stuff going on, hope it all works out for you.
I have always been intrigued by wings on boats, I have been around race cars all of my life and am used to the critical nature of these devices and the amount of time we spend in wind tunnels perfecting and developing them is enormous. Aerodynamics play such an important part of what we do that any little change can be disastrous.
Our engineers ran some numbers to see what it would take to provide a little lift to the rear of my boat but without baseline figures it was all a guess, our on car aero information is taken from strain gaged suspension pushrods, nothing like that on a boat.

Cs19
05-23-2003, 03:11 PM
edge how far off the transom is your motor? mines at 23-with the help of jeff and jack they came up with that number. for what i want to do with my boat it should be perfect, since i have a 1 inch wood transom which will add 1/2 inch or so. those pictures scares the shit out of me! i hope my daytona stays safe. on the wing deal, i talk to the guy who designed it once in a while and he says its a strictly race only deal 135 mph plus type deal,i think most guys run them cause it looks cool.

565edge
05-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Mine was at 23",i originally planned to have a back seat,i just moved it forward to 30",I am re-mounting my fuel pump and need to buy a jet-away then get new driveline made.I am also hooking up my two step rev limiter and a retard,i am also wanting to mount my alternator in a special place,any ideas?i had a front drive one like rex sells but with the motor forward it does not clear.Got any re-cent pics,i would love to see them.I now need new motor plates to get my motor higher to be inline with pump,i also removed the diverter(last trip out the cable sliped out of adj and at wide open throttle its not good to have that much degree on the nozzle with-out knowing it,the nose started bouncing,i brought it back in and my handle was 2 notches down but diverter was all the way up)Got a r-nozzle from jim brock,it should run a little better this year,i was completly satisfied with it last year.
[ May 23, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: 565edge ]

Riverhound
05-23-2003, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE]i am also wanting to mount my alternator in a special place,any ideas?i had a front drive one like rex sells but with the motor forward it does not clear.Got any re-cent pics,i would love to see them.
I saw some pics on this board once of I beleive a southwind tunnel that had the alternator mounted on the Jet pump. It had a V-groove pulley mounted on the driveline with a short belt. It looked like a really good idea and it was only taking up what would be dead space anyway.
Something like that might solve your space problem and didnt look to terribly hard to fab some brackets.

565edge
05-23-2003, 04:05 PM
I liked that idea myself,does someone make the pulley to go over the driveline?

HBjet
05-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Here are some ideas
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20alt001-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20alt002-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20alt003-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20alt004-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/20alt005-med.jpg
HBjet

Cs19
05-23-2003, 10:04 PM
both of those boats are dialed. anyone know who makes that flywheel cover? looks like they have the same one- i need to get one.