PDA

View Full Version : Help and opinions please

HOOTER SLED-
02-24-2003, 09:27 AM
I'm seriously leaning towards trim tabs for my boat. I have a 20.5' open bow w/ a 454 and a Panther Jet. For $950, I can get Dana tabs vs. roughly the same amount for a Panther diverter set-up. That of which I hear is pretty weak anyway. I just won't have a roost. It would be cool to have that, but the main purpose is to get some trim anyway. For mounting purposes on the Danas. They tell me that Teague has been mounting theirs flat (like parallel w/ swim steps) with good results, instead of at an angle (with the V of the hull). That doesn't sound right to me. Has anyone had experience installing tabs? What do you think? Do you mount them flush with the bottom of the boat? Any help is greatly appreciated. The season is coming up quick and I can't wait for Bow Tie to finish his Panther project. Thanks, Jason

HOOTER SLED-
02-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Where's the love??

Liberator TJ1984
02-25-2003, 09:48 AM
The loves here !!! Just don't know a damn thing about Trim Tabs :D

HOOTER SLED-
02-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
The loves here !!! Just don't know a damn thing about Trim Tabs :D Thanks Lib. A little love is better than none at all. I just need a hug man!! :D :D

SB
02-25-2003, 01:49 PM
xxx

SB
02-25-2003, 01:58 PM
With a diverter you can trim up or down. The tabs just hold the bow down. If they hold the bow down too much or drag in the water, it will reduce your top speed. You can get adjustable tabs and figure out what works best. But it sounds like you're describing tabs that don't adjust. So I would guess that you need to look at your transom while the boat is at top speed and see where it rides.

HotHallet
02-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Put a manual place diverter on that thing. Your going to be bummed this summer when everyone is ripping by you with their tales all the way up. Trim tabs are for stern drives.

disco_charger
02-25-2003, 03:09 PM
HotHallet:
Put a manual place diverter on that thing. Your going to be bummed this summer when everyone is ripping by you with their tales all the way up. Trim tabs are for stern drives. I don't think Place makes anything for Panther...

HOOTER SLED-
02-25-2003, 03:14 PM
HotHallet:
Put a manual place diverter on that thing. Your going to be bummed this summer when everyone is ripping by you with their tales all the way up. Trim tabs are for stern drives. It's a Panther Jet Drive, no such thing as a Place Diverter for it. Panther has a kit for it, but the roost is supposed to be weak. Bow Tie Omega is working on something with his Pops. Not done till April maybe. It just porpoises like a mother. It made all the difference when I put a Place Diverter on my 18 footer. I'm just impatient. I don't want to ride like this all season. I feel soooooo slow.

hack job
02-25-2003, 03:47 PM
HOOTER SLED-:
HotHallet:
Put a manual place diverter on that thing. Your going to be bummed this summer when everyone is ripping by you with their tales all the way up. Trim tabs are for stern drives. It's a Panther Jet Drive, no such thing as a Place Diverter for it. Panther has a kit for it, but the roost is supposed to be weak. Bow Tie Omega is working on something with his Pops. Not done till April maybe. It just porpoises like a mother. It made all the difference when I put a Place Diverter on my 18 footer. I'm just impatient. I don't want to ride like this all season. I feel soooooo slow. ok ill say this for you , i know some one that used to have a boat with a panther in it , when he put the panther kit in it it cost about 900 i think , any how it put a decent rooster up , and the boat got a bit more out of the water , panther jets are not a horrible jet they are just different. any how i would say go with the kit , the trim tabs will not help you get the boat out of the water. they will only do what sb already sad push the bow down. so i would do the other or wait for bow tie omega , think of it this way your boat is working great now and if you have to wait a couple of months to make the right move then so be it you can still take your boat out and cruise, and when that part come avible then jump on it. plus then you are not speding the money if you dont have to. wink :D

HalletDave
02-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Hooter,
Have patience my man. I have to agree with Hack on this also. I also would think that the trim tabs are just something to be in the water increasing drag. All that drag just to get the bow down. :rolleyes: I am no expert on hydrodynamics but that is the way I see it. Good luck. Panther owners chime in any time now. Let's help Hooter out here.
HD