PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Distributors.....

Ranz1
06-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Would anyone be able to tell me the total advance for a Mallory dist # YLM567EV

Taylor LP
06-21-2003, 12:32 PM
I think you can find it here:
Mallory Webpage (http://www.mrgasket.com/mallorymain.html)

Ranz1
06-21-2003, 12:42 PM
I tryed the Mallory site and found nothing....

BK
06-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Did you buy the distributor used? If so couldnt someome have changed it at some point? I had the same distributor way back and it came set at 22 deg. The only way to know for sure is get a timing light on it.

Taylor LP
06-22-2003, 11:49 AM
I remember more info being on that page, but it looks like it's changed.
There is a link on there to contact tech support. They were good when I meeded info, and got back to me the next day.
Why not shoot them an e-mail with your question. You will probably get an answer sometime tommorow.

Moneypitt
06-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Mallory dist (YL) usually come with a "degree key". you remove the point plate, loosen the screw in the slot, inset the key to the desired advance limit, rotate the mech. advance until it stops, and tighten it up. BUT, first, use an adjustable timing light to see how much is in the dist.(from initial to max). This MAY give you a base line to work from. Remember all the mech. setting does is set the max limit of adv. in the dist. So 8 deg initial plus 22 in the dist will give you 30 total, but at what RPM is it all in. this is where a tach and an adj. timing light is used. Alot of boat tuning is strickly an in the water job. Try very small changes in the initial setting, not just a turn the dist and guess, get good info, and the tuning is a lot eaiser. If you do take a guess, and happen to nail it just right, use the light to give you the setting for future use..... Moneypitt

Ranz1
06-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out.....