PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Oil Cooler

82SleekCraft
05-14-2002, 01:45 PM
Has anyone out there attempted to make an oil cooler? I think that it wouldn't be that hard. Maybe some 3" stainless steel pipe about a foot long. Some 1" stainless elbows and T's for the oil line.
Oh, having a TIG welder would also help.

turbo
05-14-2002, 06:42 PM
Hey 82 cleek, I am thinking about it. I have a tig and a 78 sleekcraft.

82SleekCraft
05-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Turbo,
What kind of Sleekcraft do you have http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif? I have a 21-ft Diplomat. Open bow.
Does anyone know the proper oil temperature? I've heard of the number 160F from here before. How hot is hot oil which warrants an oil cooler?
82SleekCraft

racingrascal
05-16-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by 82SleekCraft:
Does anyone know the proper oil temperature? I've heard of the number 160F from here before. How hot is hot oil which warrants an oil cooler?
82SleekCraft
I have been told that your oil temp. should be around 180 and you don't really want it getting any hotter then that. I have heard some people say don't worry about until 260 but I think that is a liitle on the high side. I am having some work done by Dave at DNE and that was one of the first questions he asked was what temp is my oil at. I told him 225 and he told me to put a cooler on it right away, so now I am putting a cooler on it.
Andy

HBjet
05-16-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by racingrascal:
I told him 225 and he told me to put a cooler on it right away, so now I am putting a cooler on it.
Andy
Not to mention is was 8:30am in the morning and about 60 degrees outside, and who know's how cold the water was. Oh, and at that temp the boat was just crusing, not WOT passes.
HBjet

Banshee
05-16-2002, 02:55 PM
Here’s a copy and paste from a post I made a couple of weeks ago.
You can have oil that is too cool. Here’s a link to a company that makes thermostats for use with oil coolers. http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html Someone else posted it here a while back. Jeg’s sells them and I had a link directly to it but now every time I try it I get and error.

turbo
05-16-2002, 05:06 PM
It's 78 sleekcraft kauai. started out as an outboard, then converted to berk jg. It has a closed bow with the usual fancy paint.I'd like to post picture but dont have scanner.

82SleekCraft
05-16-2002, 05:32 PM
I was thinking of installing the cooler after the oil filter(s). If I understand correctly, oil filters have a check valve. Installing the cooler after the filter would mean that there will be oil in the cooler at startup. On the other hand, changing oil means that there will be leftover oil in the cooler. I guess I can disconnect the cooler hoses to drain the oil inside.
Would it be ok to use copper and brass fitting to construct the cooler? I have an oxyacetylene torch which I can use to sweat the joints. Doing it in Stainless means I need to buy a TIG.

SB
05-21-2002, 09:25 AM
I've got one made of about 10' of 3/4" copper tubing soldered together. Has worked great for over 10 years. $10. Braize it if you want. Hang it where you want or let it lie in the bilge. Make it any shape you want to fit your space. Make a template from rubber garden hose and some rubber bands before you start. Don't worry about whether it's before or after the oil filter.
[This message has been edited by SB (edited May 21, 2002).]

05-21-2002, 09:46 AM
Don't worry about whether it's before or after the oil filter.
[This message has been edited by SB (edited May 21, 2002).][/B]
Always filter hot oil first then sent to the cooler. The filter will flow better with hot oil. The other reason is if you have some sort of engine failure where there is debris the filter will prevent the junk from going into the cooler. If you have ever tried to clean a cooler after an engine failure you will know what I'm talking about. A few words about oil temp: 180F is too cool, the moisture will not be "burned" out. Oil is made to be run at 210-220 degs.
[This message has been edited by 058 (edited May 21, 2002).]