PDA

View Full Version : Gasket question....

DickDanger
06-05-2002, 02:16 PM
When installing new valve cover gaskets, should the gaskets be applied as is, or with grease on both sides, or with gasket sealer???? Thanks for any help. -DD out

diggler
06-05-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by DickDanger:
When installing new valve cover gaskets, should the gaskets be applied as is, or with grease on both sides, or with gasket sealer???? Thanks for any help. -DD out
I put new valve covers on recently. Put gasket sealer, (the black stuff), on both sides the same as you would for the oil pan.

HBjet
06-05-2002, 02:47 PM
What kind of gaskets did you buy?
If it's not too late, spend a few extra bucks and get the Fel-Pro blue reusable rubber valve cover gaskets and never have to buy another set. Just install them, and torque down the valve cover.
HBjet

jordanpaulk
06-05-2002, 03:03 PM
DD-
It really all depends on how often you need to get to the valves. If you are running a hydraulic cam and lifters it won't be a problem to seal both sides, however, if you are running a solid lifter cam that needs frequent adjustment, I would only seal the valve cover side.
I agree with HB about the blue fel-pros. I run them on my BBC with a solid cam. Been off and on dozens of times and never leaked a drop. They are the way to go. Just my $0.02. hope it helped.
Jordy
http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/otn/ez/pi_lightbulb.gif

69 Elim
06-05-2002, 03:10 PM
I agree - depends on how often you need to get to the valves. On my ski boat (hyd lifters and stock rockers) I use cork gaskets and "gasketcinch". the stuff is awesome - never leaks. infact it holds so good, after it sets up, you can take the valve cover bolts off and still won't leak. Real pain to take the valve covers off though as it really seals up. The stuff is only available through Napa and it has a chick on the can falling on her ass. Can't miss it!

79Hawaiian
06-05-2002, 03:11 PM
Felpro makes a blue adhesive that works great. Make sure to follow the instructions, coat all 4 faces (head to gasket, gasket to cover) and allow to dry until tacky. I suggest cork vs. rubber unless you plan on removing them for adjustments. I used this stuff on my entire engine and have not had a single drop of leakage in 10 years!

DickDanger
06-05-2002, 03:22 PM
I appreciate all the suggestions. After having wrenched on my own bikes for years, I am starting to see that you do things much differently with boats. Usually, on bikes, you always grease gaskets cause you are changing them so frequently, but since I wont be doing a lot of valve adjusting, this blue adhesive sounds like the way to go. Thanks again!!!! -DD out

Bense468
06-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Your only changing them often if you are not doing it right the first time.