PDA

View Full Version : Olds 455 redline?

diggler
06-10-2002, 06:31 AM
Does anyone know the redline limit for a stock olds 455? I want to set a rev limiter at 5000rpm, but can it go up to 5500rpm?

Bubbledeck2
06-10-2002, 06:50 AM
If your pump is tight and you have an A impeller you're probably only going to turn somewhere around 4500. I'd take it out and see what it'll do, then set your rev limiter based on that.

diggler
06-10-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Bubbledeck2:
If your pump is tight and you have an A impeller you're probably only going to turn somewhere around 4500. I'd take it out and see what it'll do, then set your rev limiter based on that.
Last summer I had it easily up to 5000rpm, (and even more if I happened to hit a wake and catch a little air). Basically, the ability of the boat to launch out of the water caused me concern to limit the rpm's so it wouldn't blow. Thanks!

Q-ball
06-10-2002, 08:18 AM
O.k, I'll be the first one to sound like the broken record. Diggler, With all the olds oil system problems, be very careful turning that motor over 4500 rpms. The olds is faumous for pumping all the oil to the top of the motor and sucking the pan dry before the oil can drain back to the pan. I'm a 455 olds guy also, and this year for saftey sake I installed a 7qt. pan to help combat this problem. But as always, for more helpful info, call MONDELLOS and get his trick manual. I understand it explaines it all. Good luck

diggler
06-10-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Q-ball:
O.k, I'll be the first one to sound like the broken record. Diggler, With all the olds oil system problems, be very careful turning that motor over 4500 rpms. The olds is faumous for pumping all the oil to the top of the motor and sucking the pan dry before the oil can drain back to the pan. I'm a 455 olds guy also, and this year for saftey sake I installed a 7qt. pan to help combat this problem. But as always, for more helpful info, call MONDELLOS and get his trick manual. I understand it explaines it all. Good luck
I've got a 10qt moroso oil pan with the baffles in it to keep the sloshing down. I haven't had any problems with it running last year at 5000rpms at peak. The oil pressure always seemed to be well within normal range. Will this keep my redline at 5000 rpm max or 5500? I'm so confused!

SoggyJet
06-10-2002, 10:32 AM
If you run up to 5000 RPM regularly without any issues, set limit at 5500 so you are not always bumping the rev limit during normal running. You are not trying to limit normal operation, just potential damage if you accidently air out the jet.
Just my $.02
Doug