View Full Version : Stroker Engine?...........What??

AntRant
11-21-2002, 06:54 AM
I need a little information here on why and how. What is a stroker engine? How and how much do they gain on HP and Torque?

Moomawnster
11-21-2002, 07:17 AM
I am sure to be corrected if I'm wrong ,so here goes .... A crank shaft with a longer "throw" is used to extend the travel of the pistons .... this creates more cubic inches in the piston stroke and so ... a "stroker" this is usually along with a maximum cylinder bore for the largest cubic inches available in the particular block .... example 350 - 383 again .. I expect to be flamed here .... eek!

hack job
11-21-2002, 07:22 AM
thats the stuff! but who ses a small block ! only those4 i/o guys! :p wink

Moomawnster
11-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Ford 460's bore and stroke over 500cid don't they ? I heard of a 427 sbc .....that sounds fun to me ! but.... PAW calls them "dinosaur" motors cause after this build ... they're extinct ! eek!

Havasu Hangin'
11-21-2002, 07:58 AM
hack job:
thats the stuff! but who ses a small block ! only those i/o guys!Yes, but that's because the jet guys usually need a big block to keep up with the small block I/O guys...

quig
11-21-2002, 08:10 AM
yea... you know that you are right HH but us jet guys have our boats full of babes :D and its not easy to keep a "full" boat up to speed with a small block i/o and a lone guy driving it!!!! :p

Havasu Hangin'
11-21-2002, 08:21 AM
quig:
yea... you know that you are right HH but us jet guys have our boats full of babes :D and its not easy to keep a "full" boat up to speed with a small block i/o and a lone guy driving it!!!! :p Not sure about that...but one thing I have noticed...the jet guys are usually toting around the "plus size" women...so I guess you do need more HP just to get on plane...

quig
11-21-2002, 08:32 AM
[/qb][/QUOTE]Not sure about that...but one thing I have noticed...the jet guys are usually toting around the "plus size" women...so I guess you do need more HP just to get on plane...[/QB][/QUOTE]
HH <----------- still kills me everytime!!!!! :D :D

AntRant
11-21-2002, 08:42 AM
Would pop up pistons give you the same effect?

Havasu Hangin'
11-21-2002, 08:54 AM
AntRant:
Would pop up pistons give you the same effect?No. Pop-up pistons affect compression. The only way to stroke an engine is with a longer crankshaft. Like Moomawnster said, the longer travel of the crank adds cubic inches to the displacement.
Stroker motors generally have more torque, as the increased stroke also increases the leverage of the rod in relation to the crank, allowing more of a "twisting" force.
The downside to a stroker is that they add weight to the moving parts, and the pistons travel a greater distance in the cylinder (more piston speed). In the old days, strokers were not able to rev as high as their big-bore counterparts. But today, there are some big displacement strokers out there...and living a healthy life. Tolorances and balance have come a long way.
My 383 revs smoother than my old stocker 350.
Keep in mind that rod length will vary. The piston height has to work with the rod length for a particular application.
Hope I didn't confuse you too much.
[ November 21, 2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

rivercrazy
11-21-2002, 08:56 AM
Your killing me over here HH... :D :D :D
AR - The pistons you are referring to do not effect the travel of the crankshaft or the bore of the cylinder. However, they do increase the compression ratio. This will increase HP and Torque. The downside to compression ratios above about 9.5 : 1 is that the motor will no longer tolerate pump gas (at least with cast iron heads. Alum will take a little more). Race gas then becomes necessary and that be expensive and harder to locate

quig
11-21-2002, 09:03 AM
no... pop ups or raised dome pistons increase the compression ratio by making the area where the valves,spark plug and piston meet (the combustion chamber) much smaller ... this will increase hp to a degree but it will also force you to run a much higher grade of gas (octane number) after aroung 11:1 compression you will have to get the "good stuff" wich may be harder to buy in some places... when you "stroke" a motor you are increasing "dwell" (the time the piston stays up at top dead center) this will make more power (torque) but in most cases the motor will not rev quite as freely as its standard counterpart (I think :D )... Ant if you can find a copy of the August ***boat from 1995 there is a great article from a guy named DREW BACKLUND on the 540 ford big block from basic stock ford parts and a 460 block that yeild around 600-620 hp depending on cam choice. This article is very detailed and even has part numbers and address of the companys used to obtain the parts used in the build ... I know this cause thats my next step :cool:

AntRant
11-21-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone, Its a little clearer now....Anthony

JetBoatN
11-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Hey AntRant,
Where abouts in NY do you live?

AntRant
11-21-2002, 10:09 AM
JetBoatN, Not to far from you... New Windsor 12553

JetBoatN
11-21-2002, 11:16 AM
AntRant,
New Windsor is about 5 hours away from Rochester. Maybe next summer we can gather our friends and meet halfway or something. Bring the two cvx-20's and rip up some new waters. Should be fun.
-Tony

Moomawnster
11-22-2002, 02:17 AM
I am glad to see this thread didn't deteriorate into a flaming match ....... yet! :D Hey Havasu .... glad to see another sbc man ....
Have you ever heard of a 427 small block ? I had not thought of the extra weight of the rods and crank but .... what... 40lbs? .... more ?
My dream motor would be an aluminum 350 .... Hmmm ...... aluminum 454 ? ,probably lighter than an iron 350 ! OOOOPPS $$$$$$$$$$$$$ eek!

Havasu Hangin'
11-22-2002, 08:32 AM
Moomawnster:
Hey Havasu .... glad to see another sbc man ....Hey...we gotta stick together...
Moomawnster:
Have you ever heard of a 427 small block ?I've heard of some big cube SBCs...it takes some serious machining (low radius cam, etc.)...those white water jet guys use em and probably have forgotten more than I know....
http://208.55.230.149/fields1.jpg
I heard Jungle Boy put together a bad-ass 406? SBC..
Moomawnster:
My dream motor would be an aluminum 350 .... Hmmm ...... aluminum 454 ? ,probably lighter than an iron 350 !I agree...I went with aluminum heads, water pump, intake, and exhaust...but no block- too expensive.
Those crazy river racers also use those 500 aluminum (1,300HP) Rodek engines...

canuck1
11-22-2002, 09:15 AM
Moomawnster
the 454 small block is easily reachable and still less money than a big block. you can build a 600 horse small block for 13000 canadian that will run WFO all day.
JB runs a 434 chev that should run 90 in a step tech V-hull
A stock ZZ4 will run 65 in the same hull that is fully outfitted
Lighter boat, lighter motor = less motor needed to move it

Moomawnster
11-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Would 600 hp be a bit much in a 16 ft Tahiti? eek! even if it is heavy ? :D Heh Heh .... I will be adding a split bowl and race nozzle next , I want to see what lowering the thrust does for it ..... then the motor , how about 400hp to start .... heads , cam , ...?????

canuck1
11-22-2002, 05:22 PM
The first thing to check out is the hull is it straight, condition, etc. Work on the whole pump not just the back half.
400 hp is easy to build or buy. Start with a solid bottom end so that you can add the exotic top end parts to when you are ready for them
[ November 22, 2002, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: canuck1 ]

77charger
11-22-2002, 05:35 PM
hack job:
thats the stuff! but who ses a small block ! only those4 i/o guys! :p wink I think you are refrring to me as one of those 4 i/o converts. wink But i can say that i have used it twice and the gas gage has barely moved(that i love)and it beat its first jet boat(he picked on me first but it a stocker.) :) :) :)
And yes this boat is slower than my previous(i still have )jetboat which might be used for them blythe runs. wink wink

77charger
11-22-2002, 05:38 PM
rivercrazy:
Your killing me over here HH... :D :D :D
The downside to compression ratios above about 9.5 : 1 is that the motor will no longer tolerate pump gas (at least with cast iron heads. Alum will take a little more). Race gas then becomes necessary and that be expensive and harder to locateWrong grasshopper a marine motor runs cooler,A ford can run 1/2 point higher than a bbc on comp,(flat top and small chamber head),And 10-1 is usually the limit on pump gas.
I ran an 11-1 bbf and if i backed the timing to 34 i got away with oct booster and pump gas but lost 100 rpm.