PDA

View Full Version : MSD Dist. question

Taylorman
08-04-2003, 06:17 PM
For the last couple of months I have been having timing troubles. I set my timing at 8 btdc at about 800 rpms. When i rev the motor and the timing advances, it won't come back down to 8. It stays around 12 and the motor idle speeds up. I notice this on the water as well. When I crank the motor, it idles fine around 800. After a run, the motor won't go back to 800, it runs at a fast idle for a while before finally idleing down. I could not figure out why the motor would not go all the way back to idle till I was checking my timing this afternoon on the trailer and it did the same this. Im guessing its the advanced timing that makes the rpms stay up. Has anyone ever ran across this problem. Im thinking maybe the springs get weak and are not strong enough anymore to pull the weights in on the centrifugal advance. I did not have enough time to try different springs yet. I may try the tomorrow.

BK
08-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Your exactly right with whats causing your problem. Happend on mine with the lighter springs in, change to the hevier ones (18 deg.) and it solved the problem.

Taylorman
08-04-2003, 06:40 PM
I have been using these springs for about 3 years and have only had this problem recently. Do the springs get weak? If thats all the problem is, thats easy. Thanks.

Oldsquirt
08-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Kevin, I recently changed from the heaviest springs to a light silver and a light blue(second lightest combination). I was having constant trouble with timing, and therefore, the idle speed, not returning all the way. I plan to change to a pair of blue springs before the next outing to see if that cures the problem.

Taylorman
08-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Craig,
Glad to hear you are ok after your accident. I am running same combo as you, the light silver and a light blue. I'll try the same thing, two blues.

squirt
08-04-2003, 07:09 PM
I third that answer. I'm running the same also and advance happens too early

HP350SC
08-04-2003, 07:34 PM
I had this problem once with my MSD,but it wasn't the springs.In my haste to get tune-up done I bought a non marine rotor.The molded shape under the rotor was slightly different and the weights drug slightly.

Duane HTP
08-04-2003, 07:38 PM
That is a common problem of an MSD distributor that has not been properly maintained. The oil will get sticky down in the sleeve where the shaft advances. Take the rotor off. There is a little felt oil wick in the center of the shaft. Soak it with PCV & Choke cleaner until the rotor snaps back freely when advanced by hand. Then blow it out good with an air gun. Now lube the weights where they rub on the bottom side and the weight pins. Use something like 3-in-1 sewing machine oil. Put several drops in the felt wick under the rotor. This is the reservoir that keeps the shaft lubricated. Hope this helps. Duane HTP

Oldsquirt
08-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Kevin, thanks. Not an experience I care to repeat. :(
HP350SC, I still have the original rotor (distributor only has 1 season on it). The heavy springs are twice the diameter of the light springs and are under considerable tension at rest. The light springs barely have any tension and are small enough that they couldn't possibly drag on rotor.
Don, I say get as much advance in as quickly as possible. Sure seemed to help my hole shot compared to the heavy springs.

BK
08-05-2003, 04:39 AM
Duane, I pulled the distributor apart and cleaned/oiled everything when I was having this problem, didnt help, the light springs just werent stong enough to pull the advance wieghts back in my case. Running the 18 deg. springs allows me to run more initial advance (16 deg.) and my idles MUCH better. All my advance with these springs is in by 2800 rpm.

Taylorman
08-05-2003, 05:14 AM
BK:
Duane, I pulled the distributor apart and cleaned/oiled everything when I was having this problem, didnt help, the light springs just werent stong enough to pull the advance wieghts back in my case. Running the 18 deg. springs allows me to run more initial advance (16 deg.) and my idles MUCH better. All my advance with these springs is in by 2800 rpm. I recently cleaned mine also and still having this problem. I will try the next stiffest spring setup which is the two blue springs. I think I will put the two stiffest springs in to set initial timing to make sure its not advancing any at idle. Thanks for the replies. Good to see im not the only one having this problem.
Kevin

HP350SC
08-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Oldsquirt-Thinking back now I remember what my problem was.I lost one of the shims between the weight and spring and subtituted a stainless washer.The o.d. of the washer was too big and caused the prob.I never said the spring drug.Anyway,the point of the forum is to list any possible reason since the persons boat is not in front of you to look at.Easier not to respond at times I guess.

Oldsquirt
08-05-2003, 10:27 AM
HP350SC, I actually mis-read your post and thought you said it was the springs....
ALL information is good information. Helps everyone and that's what we are here for.

Taylorman
08-05-2003, 11:33 AM
I called MSD tech and they had never heard of this problem, he said that the springs Im using is a popular combination and they should be strong enough to pull the weights back in. I ask the question here and 3 people had the same problem. Sometimes I wonder about mfg's tech support personel.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
08-05-2003, 12:09 PM
FOR YEARS I HAVE BEEN HEARING THAT THE M S D TECH GUYS ARE THE BALLS!!! I'M SURPRISED, TRY CALLING AGAIN TO SEE IF YOU GET A DIFFERENT TECH ON THE LINE?!..BILL.

HammerDown
08-05-2003, 12:59 PM
I know the "Tech" from MSD we got several weeks ago must have been one of "Jerry's Kids".

BK
08-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Ive heard good things about the MSD tech guys as well, but havent had a good experience with them so far. When I first bought my distributor it didnt seat all the way down on the intake, called MSD for advice and the guy couldnt tell me what to do. Oldsquirt ended up telling me to buy a shim kit and that took care of it, dont understand why the MSD guy didnt give the same advice. I got the same line from MSD when I called them about my advance sticking, never heard of this problem ha? I talked to them at least 3 times about it! All I can tell you Taylorman is ive been running the hevier spring since May and as soon as I change them the problem went away. Hope you get it figured out.

Duane HTP
08-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Hey guys, send me you distributors. I'll fix them. Sometimes you have to pull the gear off and remove the shaft, but the light springs will pull the weights back when everything is free. If they've been that way a while, you may even have to sand the shaft a little to get the gum off of it.

squirt
08-05-2003, 04:55 PM
my post wasn't that clear. My MSD is brand new, using one blue and one lightest spring I saw the timing advance when I was setting inital at idle. I went with 2 blues and it got better, I guess I should use a dial back light and set it at full advance (3,000) cause I've been complaining about my hole shot for awhile now!
Don

Duane HTP
08-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Another thing I didn't take into consideration is that maybe your idle is a lot higher than I usually run one too. That could make a difference.

Taylorman
08-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Im setting mine at 800 rpm idle. I just took the dist. apart and cleaned it good with a brass wire brush, acetone and lubed it with silicone spray. I'll put a timing light on it tomorrow.

Duane HTP
08-06-2003, 05:16 AM
Good, Please let us know the results. Thanks, Duane

Taylorman
08-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Well, I tried it out this evening and still does it. I put the two stiffest silver springs in it and it still will not return to initial timing like it should. The problem is not as bad but it still happens. I set the initial at 8, reved the motor till the timing advanced to about 16 and let it go back to idle and it would return to about 12 and the slowly return to about 10 degrees. I shut the engine off and then restarted it and it was at 8. Something must be wrong that Im not seeing. It seems so simple though. There is not that many parts to that dist. I cleaned it all good with acetone and sprayed it with a little silicone spray to lube it. Should I use something else to lube the moving parts of the advance mechanism?

Hallett19
08-06-2003, 05:54 PM
so is the reco two hard silvers or the blues ? I just picked up an msd for my 460 and am curious which springs to put in.

Taylorman
08-06-2003, 05:56 PM
One blue and one light silver will get all your advance in by 3000 rpm's which is how mine used to be set up. Look at the dist. manual, it has charts that tell you how to set it up.

Duane HTP
08-06-2003, 07:25 PM
Try setting your idle way lower than normal. If it comes back then, you may need the stronger springs after all. Duane HTP