PDA

View Full Version : Ski rope. How long?

JetBoatN
07-02-2003, 05:48 AM
I bought a tube to tow behind my boat and was wondering if the standard 60' ski rope would be too short with the jet. Is 60' ok or should I buy two ropes and tie them together?
Thanks
(How long is your rope!) :D

Danhercules
07-02-2003, 05:53 AM
if you have a diverter you will need bout 300' smile_sp

Taylorman
07-02-2003, 06:08 AM
60 is fine. I pull two tubes behind mine and 60 ft is fine unless you plan on killing them with the diverter.

JetBoatN
07-02-2003, 06:11 AM
I wish I had a diverter. I'm starting to feel left out!
Thanks for the reply

SB
07-02-2003, 06:17 AM
When you ski with a 75' line, is the turbulence bad? If so, you can go with 100'. You might or might not notice this in a tube. An extremely long rope on a tube might be a little more dangerous with the tube whipping around out of control.

JetBoatN
07-02-2003, 06:23 AM
I've never pulled a tube or a skier with this boat so I'm not sure about the turbulence. I'll just try the 60' and see how it works. Besides, it won't be me back there. I don't trust my friends driving especially if I'm being towed!

Chris J
07-02-2003, 06:31 AM
Adjust you diverter to the Mist setting and you'll be fine.
Seriously I'd stick with the 60ft rope. If you go too long you'll sling shot your tubber at unsafe speeds when you make a turns. Standard rope works fine with my boat.
One more thing, When taking people tubing try not to spray a rooster before they get out of the boat. For some reason after they see the rooter they no longer want to go tubing.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/679mist-med.JPG

Omega21
07-02-2003, 06:54 AM
That could be a good thing if you use it correctly. Take out a jet ski with your diverter & you will have a boat load of people that will stay far far away from your boat if they ever decided to get on one. :-)
Todd

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
07-02-2003, 06:55 AM
definitely make sure your diverter is down. And make sure you get a rope designed for tubes. They are more elastic and make the attitude of the tube much better. Here is a pic of a tube behind my boat with a 60' rope. notice no rooster.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523TUBE3-med.jpg
Omega

roostwear
07-02-2003, 07:46 AM
Don't know if it's the problem back East that it is here, but a 100' rope would clothesline 2, maybe 3 PWC'ers!

Hustler
07-02-2003, 07:50 AM
roostwear:
Don't know if it's the problem back East that it is here, but a 100' rope would clothesline 2, maybe 3 PWC'ers! You call this a problem? :D I would call it fotunate eek! :D

cyclone
07-02-2003, 07:58 AM
i've always used 75 and 100' ropes. gives a great slingshot effect when doing doughnuts and its really fun to see the tube pull dead even with the side of the boat through a turn. :D

Foolish
07-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Chris J:
One more thing, When taking people tubing try not to spray a rooster before they get out of the boat. For some reason after they see the rooter they no longer want to go tubing.
I just got my place diverter and cannot wait to go try it out this weeked :) I definately will not be showing off my rooster until its tube time devil

JetBoatN
07-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Foolish,
Did you install the diverter yourself? I don't have one now but definetely want one someday.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
07-02-2003, 08:21 AM
trust me don't use the rooster on tubers. It HURTS very bad. 4000gpm in the face is worse than a water hose. Not cool!!! :( You could really hurt someone doing that kind of stuff. Be safe :)
Omega

Cas
07-02-2003, 08:31 AM
for safety reasons, I'd consider where you're going to tube in making a decision on the length of rope. I watched a rookie driver pulling a tuber with a 100' rope at the Delta a few years back. When the driver decided to turn around, he put his friend into the rocks.

Nubbs
07-02-2003, 10:41 AM
I tow tubers with a 75' rope. It seems to work ok.

spectras only
07-02-2003, 11:17 AM
75+ and the best quality nonstrech rope will do it.If you'll get a place diverter later [negative angle ] ,you can go 60' with better control.

Foolish
07-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Installing the diverter was a cake walk, the hardest part was making fabbing up a good cover for the hydraulic unit and deciding where to mount the toggle switch.
Yeah I have been shot by my jet while trying to anchor (Stupid friends didn't know how to use reverse gate) it hurts! I was just kidding about shooting my rooster my friends...but shooting PWC's, that are riding my wake while I am towing! That's different wink
[ July 02, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Foolish ]

Danhercules
07-02-2003, 01:54 PM
I have a question. Can you use a rope too long? Leagally I mean. Could I tow a tube with a 150' foot rope? I dont know why I would, just want to know. The more I know on the water, the better off I am! :cool:

Ken F
07-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Almost any jet will run better with about a 3' roost.
That is about the optimum height for max efficiency.
I've always used a 100' rope for both tubing & skiing, and it seems to work out great, 100' is far enough behind the roost to be comfortable. and the slingshot effect is tremendous!
Ken F

1Bahnerjet
07-02-2003, 04:54 PM
The thing about those longer ropes (100ft) is, if you boat on Small lakes or reservoirs, you have to turn around often and sometimes its hard to tell how far out that tube is going to swing, oops! there goes your tube rider Cartwheeling on the Beach. Boat Driver= eek! Tube Rider= :mad: People on the Beach= eek! :D :rolleyes:
----------------
Thats BANNER with an H
[ July 03, 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: 1Bahnerjet ]

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Cas:
for safety reasons, I'd consider where you're going to tube in making a decision on the length of rope. I watched a rookie driver pulling a tuber with a 100' rope at the Delta a few years back. When the driver decided to turn around, he put his friend into the rocks. Now that would be funny eek! eek! eek! I am sorry, I was rollin' my ass off when I read that. My girlfriend once swung me into a no wake bayou when we were tubing behind my waverunner eek! eek! I wanted to drown her :mad:

JetBoatN
07-03-2003, 04:49 AM
I have to agree with you. Not that I'd wish someone to be injured or anything, but the mental picture of someone being turned up on the beach and cartwheeing to a stop, cracks me up. Again, I'm not saying I would wish that for anyone.

Cas
07-03-2003, 08:15 AM
The rest of the story is Life Flight had to come in to air lift the guy out. Turned out he later died. Sorry but it wasn't funny while it happened or now, stupidity and/or ignorance caused the death of someone needlessly.

Mohavekid
07-03-2003, 08:41 AM
I saw the same thing happen last year near Katherine's Landing.
The girl on the tube went right up on the rocks and was hurt bad. Her loser boat driver loaded her up into the boat and hauled ass for the marina. Life flight landed on the launch ramp and took her to the hospital.
From what I saw and overheard by the life flight crew, it did not sound good.
The driver said he did'nt realize how far out the tube would go when he turned. Too bad his frind had to pay the price for his inexperience and stupidity.

victorfb
07-03-2003, 10:00 AM
CAS. Thanks for posting the rest of that story. it amazes me when people are warned the dangers of boating, and all they can do is think to themselves "Now that would be funny to see" and never give the outcome a second thought.
how many times ive heard this... Dude, you should have seen this (guy or chick) eat sh*t on a jet ski. he/she turned right into this 28' boat doing 70+. the boat didnt even see em. chopped up that ski like it was in a blender. *laughing* that was gnarly.
now did anyone warn this guy/girl to be carefull of the big boats haulin ass and wont see you when you get in front of them? MAYBE! but a little common sence would be a life saver in cases like that.
if someone told me the dangers of useing a longer rope, i would listen carefully and take the advice from people that have had the experience of close calls, and or worse.
that said...lets all have a great safe 4th of july weekend!!!

Jet City
07-03-2003, 10:34 AM
I think my tube rope is 75' and my ski rope is also 75' but it has removable 5' sections for aggressive slalom runs. I find that keeping your chin to your chest on deepwater starts is effective for surviving the jet blast, not really an issue once the boat is at speed. Every year somebody is killed at one of the local lakes by something that could have been easily avoided. I think its really important that both the driver AND the spotter know what thier doing and pay attention, never let another boat get between you and your down skier/tuber.