PDA

View Full Version : engine paint

donzi22
11-18-2002, 09:13 AM
What do you use for engine paint? I would like to paint it to match my boat. chev orange won't do. can I use car paint ? Immron?

DUCKY
11-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Check out the local Checker auto parts. they usually stock the VHT Engine enamels in a wide variety of colors. If they don't have what you want, you can use automotive paint, and the only place it should burn off is right on top of the exhaust ports. Make sure you prep it right!!!

Jordy
11-18-2002, 01:21 PM
I used Rustoleum on my block and heads and they went through the vat at the machine shop 4 times and 99% of the paint was still in place. The prep is the key. If you have them down to bare metal it works the best. Couple coats and let them dry in between...

turbo
11-18-2002, 06:21 PM
a friend of mine painted his block pearl white. automotive paint. best looking thing I've seen, annd It's holding up well. so I painted mine guards red no problems yet.

Hal
11-20-2002, 10:25 AM
If you have it down to the bare block you may want to consider having it powder coated. A lot of guys with show cars do it. Talk to your local powder coater,if he's done engines before he can tell you how to prepare the block before you take it in. (masking off the places you don't want the powder coat or the sand from sand blasting to get to) Wash it real good before assembly.

AntRant
11-20-2002, 12:56 PM
I also used Rustoleum on my block and heads. Like jordanpaulk said "The prep is the key". After wire whelling the rust and old paint off i use non-chloranated (spelling?)brake cleaner. Prime and then paint.

roco racing
11-20-2002, 02:36 PM
rattle can with vht paint,came out tits.i think you can use imron(i think) too if you want it to look real good.