PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Motor Mounts........Good Idea??

AntRant
10-15-2002, 07:39 PM
Heres my story....I got another oil pan (from my man Ivan) and it is about a 1/4" deeper than the old one (swiss cheese from the thrown rod). Went to put the engine back in and it bottoms out on the cross member that goes from mount to mount in the boat. This cross member is approx about 1" tall and about 3/16" thick. It is welded on the bottom of each mount in an upright position. Now i would like to know if everybody has this and why? I could only see it taking some of the stress from the engine's weight pushing out on the stingers if there is any. My solution is to cut it out and weld in a piece of 1 1/4" x 3/16" steel, lying flat and to the bottom of the mounts so i will gain the needed clearace. Is this a good fix? I cannot adjust my mounts up or down because as the mount goes up so will the the cross member. PLEASE HELP as ther is only a few more weeks of boating in New York and i must go since i only had 2 rides before blowing the motor......It is a CVX 20 with a 460BBF

Duane HTP
10-15-2002, 07:44 PM
We do that all the time. Only we make a flat strap to fit the bottom of the boat and weld it to the bottom of each mount first. Then we cut out the original one. Duane HTP

lakesmodified
10-15-2002, 08:23 PM
AntRant, Ivan here.. Hey, you know I have that same strap you're talking about, and mine cleared the new Dooley 10 qt pan, go figure? I wouldn't cut it and leave it out completely, but what you're talking about(Welding a flat plate along the bottom)will definitely work. When I get home from work tomorrow evening, I'll take a picture and email it to you. How's your ride coming along? Ivan

SeaSlut
10-16-2002, 03:53 AM
I would like to see that pic.
I suspect the "Summit Fairy" might grant some of my wishes (oil pan, roller rockers, Demon carb)
rog

AntRant
10-16-2002, 05:37 AM
Ivan, Its getting there.. I was hoping to get the motor and back seat in by Sunday for a test run, But i dont know. A friend said he will welb it on Thursday. What some luck (i dont have much) ill get two maybe three runs before winter. Break out the winter clothes.....

lakesmodified
10-16-2002, 07:09 AM
I'll send both of you pics later on tonight. Ivan

core attitude
10-16-2002, 07:44 AM
lakesmodified, I'm up for seeing the pic also. Any chance of posting it in the thread so we can all see? :)
Thanks, Pete

lakesmodified
10-16-2002, 09:10 PM
I sent a few pics out. Core Attitude, the emails I sent you were returned undeliverable, exceeded inbox quota.. Ivan

AntRant
10-17-2002, 05:13 AM
Thanks Ivan...If all goes good it will be welded today..
[ October 17, 2002, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: AntRant ]