PDA

View Full Version : CAN'T GET THAT DAMN INTAKE OUT ((HELP))!!

MarKist
01-06-2003, 03:24 PM
I can't getthe intake out !!Is it epoxyed in or what? any suggestions ?? THX GUYS!! burningm burningm burningm

TRG
01-06-2003, 03:26 PM
ive used a heat gun or even used a grinder, good luck

Banshee
01-06-2003, 05:13 PM
I’ve never did that job either but anytime I hear someone talking about doing it they says it’s a bitch. A pump guy once told me that he puts a block of wood on a floor jack and jacks up from underneath the boat, lifting the whole weight of the boat off the trailer a little. And then sometimes he even has to get in the boat to add more weight to get it to pop loose. He said it sounds like it’s going to rip the whole floor out of the boat but doesn’t do any damage. Then grind out everything smooth and down to virgin fiberglass before reinstalling it.

HammerDown
01-06-2003, 05:28 PM
1'st...make sure all the mounting bolts are out. What I did was to put a floor jack under the Intake, took it up a few inches...and also I used a 1x3 between the transom and the intake to add a little extra pressure...with a piece of plywood on the top of the Intake, I gave it a few smacks with a 2lb hammer...that helped to (shock) it free. It may take a few attempts...but it will break loose.

sdba069
01-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Make sure all the bolts are out and then try the heat gun.The jack under the intake will work,but be careful,the intake is breakable.I've used a smoke wrench before,but do not advise anyone else to do that.

sdba069
01-06-2003, 08:18 PM
I have also used a air hammer with a flat chisel tip to break lose the epoxy underneath the intake.Once again,the intake is not unbreakable.

MarKist
01-07-2003, 08:44 AM
is there a way Icould leave it in and maybe grind some and re-epoxy it or do I need to take it out !! I'm freakin LOST !! in case you guys was wondering this is my first boat restoration!I've done cars and trucks in the past and presant!But never a boat (79 SunKisst) ! :confused: THX wink all you guys for input on this

jacuzer
01-07-2003, 09:11 AM
Heat makes the epoxy softer so you might try this method:
1. Drain all the fuel from the boat.
2. Remove all the nuts from all the screws on the intake.
3. Place some heat deflecting type material (1/4" aluminum plate /concrete backer board)along the sides of the intake so you don't cook the hull.
4. Use an Oxy/Acetyline torch to heat each screw red hot. Let the heat disipate into the epoxy a little and punch out the screws.
5. Use the torch to heat the intake at the mounting flange, also some heat on the inside of the intake helps.
6. Use chisels and pry bars to work the intake out. As stated before, the intake can break (usually a corner) so be careful.
That should do it for you.
Kevin

ole war horse
01-08-2003, 06:59 AM
I took my out last winter and I first used a grinder to remove the extra epoxy and then used a chisel with a flat blade and little pressure
from a floor jack pushing up from the bottom and it wasn't much to it. It was easier than putting it back.

Duke
01-08-2003, 12:02 PM
just curious....how do you get it back in?
duke..

MarKist
01-10-2003, 05:19 PM
idea yea! how do you put it back in ???

jacuzer
01-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Did you get it out yet???

MarKist
01-11-2003, 06:21 PM
NA'dude,I'm still waiting to see if I need to take it out! or not?what would you do Jacuzer?? :confused: Iwould like to go a head and take it out ,so Ican powder-coat it too.Will see soonlike tomorrow!! wink wink wink

jacuzer
01-11-2003, 08:35 PM
If you are just taking it out to powdercoat it, well that probably isn't worth it. Mask it off and paint it.
What is your boat and what are you trying to achieve?
If you want to add a shoe & rideplate or if the thing is leaking or installed really poorly, then take it out.
Kevin

btbuilder2
01-11-2003, 08:57 PM
i just thought i would put in my 2 cents here, i have installed,and removed quite a few intakes,and pumps, i found the best way to do it was to use a sawsall,,, sounds scary but is very easy, you just cut down the center of the expoxy underneath the boat, and then lay the blade flat on the inside, using the tip of the blade to cut around the intake you should have 1" of epoxy around the top ,,, then after you cut around the whole intake use a dead blow hammer, or if the pump is still attached to the intake pull up on it it should break free fairly easy,,,,,, then on installation, you need to be sure that you clean all surfaces that are going to be reepoxyed , then depending on what pump you have , there will be either adjusting bolts in the front &rear, or there will be nothing, its important to make sure that you are at the right degree on both sides of the intake,and also make sure that it is not cocked to one side more then the other, or you will have problems,,,, if you want more info feel free to ask,,!!! good luck~!

Old Guy
01-11-2003, 10:20 PM
I bought a boat with a Jacuzzi pump. You could see where there was a bad seal at the front of the intake. I decided to convert the pump but keep the intake. The intake did have to be removed and re-installed. I removed all the bolts and pushed real hard. Nothibg moved, so I got the heat gun. I started with a floor jack under the intake, raising the boat about 1" off the trailer and was sure it should come out with this much force. No luck. Got a "big" propane torch (about 3" dia. nozzle used for removing weeds from sidewalks and driveways). I put some pieces of sheet metal around the intake to shield the stringers and transom, and floor so they wouldn't catch fire. I filled a garden sprayer with water (just in case) and applied fire. The trick is to keep the fire moving so's not to start a fire, but heat the intake. It worked. The intake poped out. I did need my garden sprayer to put out the fire in the piece of wood I had under the intake.
Sounds scarry, but it wasn't. I DO recommend a garden sprayer filled with water BEFORE you start.
old

jweeks123
01-12-2003, 11:01 PM
everyone planning to use heat should go back and read Jacuzer's item #1
1. Drain all the fuel from the boat.
jw

MarKist
01-13-2003, 04:40 PM
well guys this is great info thanks, I've got a 1979 sunkisst tiger w/ a 12jg and jetovator .This thing is j :) ust barley leaking but it is a 79 model , I was thinking of taking the thing out but after reading all the posts,if I could get away with maybe......fix and go.... what do you think ?? I'm tring to get on the lake this spring {you know what I mean) :D :D :D But all kidding aside, i dont want to have to go back later ,after paint and time, and fix the shit.
So you see my problem, do I yank it out for a drip, or try to repair and forgo geting it installed properly again. from what I understand it is somewhat critical... Thanks again for all your input.

HammerDown
01-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Thats up to you...I did the pump setback and all that goes with it. I had a dry boat before and have one still (untill I take a wave over the back F'ing wake boarders). If its not a bad leak then dont worry about it. I like a dry boat...thats just me. However a little water isnt going to hurt anything. Guess what if ya dont do a good job it very well could leak again...so then were are ya at. If you do want to do the job...you have a lot of help here on this forum.
Its all up to you...

jacuzer
01-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Is your boat the gullwing style( I just looked at teshio.com different jet boats). That is the only one model Sunkisst I've seen.
How does the installation of your intake look now?
1. Smooth transition from hull to intake at the front?
2. Is the back of the intake at the same height as the keel?
3. By sighting down (or up) the keel line, is the intake in the boat straight?
If any of these three things are out of whack, that would be reason enough (for me) to re-set the intake.
For just a slight crack...probably not a good enough reason, depends how slight the crack and how bored I was. Where is the crack anyway?
Kevin

btbuilder2
01-14-2003, 08:46 PM
if you dont want to take the pump out, the i would ,just grind out the cracks, and refill with epoxy, just use silocone?????? that would be a quick fix, and wouls last a while if done right!!! if you need more info just email me and i can tell you just howto do it
tye!

btbuilder2
01-14-2003, 08:49 PM
sorry about that , i meant dont use silcone, and like i said if you dont want to take the intake out , just grind out the cracks some , and refill with epoxy!!!! sorry for the repete!!!!!!

MarKist
01-17-2003, 05:31 AM
hey fellas, thx for all your info it has really help me make up my mind on what I was going to do ,So i'm going to leave it in and grind and re-epoxy it !! :D btbuilder thx again I'll keep ta posted ,jacruzer It all looked rite to me so i'll leave it in (THIS FORUM ROCKS) :D :D idea

BigBoyToys
01-17-2003, 05:44 AM
Hmmm...I'd have purchased a new boat. If anything get's too difficult for me, I go the easy way :D

HavasuBarney
01-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, this turned into a bit of a motvational thread for me. I was ready to spray Hack Jobs bilge area when I read this thread. I couldn't stand the idea of torches and such on my new gel... so I cut his intake out with a sawsall. I'm just gonna lay all new glass in the hole so the new set-back pump can be cut and fit to order.
My question has to do with the water flow over the area before reaching the intake. I can shape it any way I want right now since it's blank and was wondering about aiding performnace.
Should I just follow the existing keel line?
It currently is just rounded off in the back of the boat.
He's putting a setback pump and ride plate on, since he gonna get to start new, is there anything I can do to help his performance?

ChetCapoli
01-18-2003, 10:17 PM
HavasuBarney:
hey barney,
i would follow the keel line if its rounded and give it a slight hump or spoon shape just before and make a nice contour right into the intake..like the bottom of a seadoo. It's what i did. Hope that helps.
F$%# you too btw. :D
CHET

HavasuBarney
01-18-2003, 10:48 PM
That's a good suggestion, I have a ski at the shop I'm doing some work on, I'll check it out.
BTW, thanks! :D

jacuzer
01-18-2003, 11:55 PM
HB,
Been following the other thread, and that boat is looking really nice.
Can't say that I have seen anything but tunnel race boats with the hump in front of the jet.
I would say that before you add something like that to that type of hull, ask a bottom expert like Jeff Bennett. I would think you could get his number from any of the better So. Cal. jet shops.
Kevin

ChetCapoli
01-19-2003, 07:29 AM
i didnt mean to say to make it as drastic as a tunnel boat since they are two different animals. If you have some sort or roundness to the keel follow the countour and flow it right in. A seadoo if you look at it is a perfect example(newer ones that is) I got alot of ideas from Jeff Bennett,great man to talk to. I must state though that my bottom was originally a delta pad not a rounded keel. I really think that bubble design came from the seadoo's and such...they are very similar.
CHET

Spectra19
01-19-2003, 10:19 AM
I am in the process of doing my Spectra now. I was told to get the right shape take a football and cut it in half then take that half and cut it in half. That is what you are looking for. Just what I have heard but like others have said talk to a bottom guy they would know. Good luck and that Spectra looks Great HB! Wish I could afford to do mine.

flat broke
01-19-2003, 11:49 PM
ChetCapoli:
HavasuBarney:
hey barney,
i would follow the keel line if its rounded and give it a slight hump or spoon shape just before and make a nice contour right into the intake..like the bottom of a seadoo. It's what i did. Hope that helps.
F$%# you too btw. :D
CHET Chet,
I know you are trying to help on this, and its appreciated. That being said, please don't take offense to the following.
Barney,
This hull is a design that has been proven to a little over 100mph and to the best of my knowledge (aka call Tyson to be sure rather than post up here) you should be re-creating the orriginal contour. This is definitely not the time to test the bottom design theories of Board members. Call Tyson back and ask him what he would like you to do on his boat.
Chris

hack job
01-20-2003, 08:32 AM
i think that is impearitive that it keep the same lines seeing as how iam not sure were the pump is going to be place the hump is a bad idea also with talking to my jet guy i really dont think that the hump wll do too much for my boat untill i break the 100 mph barrier. ( more thank likly will never happen) and so i would like to stay with the original shape. thanks for asking aobut thins type of thing i can see that you are trying to help . argue