PDA

View Full Version : 79 eliminator

78 Sprint
02-22-2003, 09:07 PM
want to know if anyone has any ideas for running my boat out of the water, was told that it is hard on the jet to run them dry.

phegan
02-22-2003, 09:31 PM
yea, i heard it,s a bad idea too. I take out the u-joint so i can a least run the engine out of the water.(with a water supply )
It would be great if you could run it all together.

jim@pj
02-22-2003, 10:30 PM
New jet boater... You can run a jet boat out of water for a short period if you are careful. You should do no more than a quick tune check and don't rev the engine above 3000 Rpm. You need to put water in the wear ring area to wash out any grit that may be sitting in there and this will keep the wear ring lubricated. The shaft packings are water cooled and lubricated and you can't do much for them, thats why you shouldn't run the engine for a long period or rev too high. When I need to spend alot of time on the engine at high Rpm, as when breaking in a new cam, I disconnect the drive joint. I have a wye set up that I made where one hose goes to the engine and the other to a sprinkler head that I set in the intake grate. Before you run your jet out of water make sure that your bowl oil is full if you have a berkeley or a legend other jets should be greased.
That should be enough to adjust timing and set the carb. Good Luck. Jim www.performancejet.com (http://www.performancejet.com)

wfodude
02-23-2003, 12:12 AM
I agree with Jim...I used a Y connector valve with one hose to the motor and the other with a hardware store spray nozzle to restrict it.Then I attached that end of the hose to a harbor freight clamp that let me attach it to my grate and spray the water directly at the impeller...Cool beans... I just need to get it back from the dude who thought it was a cool idea

LUVNLIFE
02-23-2003, 07:06 PM
If you like to spend money which is my problem, you can get a Lenco quick disconnect driveshaft with splines instead of u-joints. Less than 5 minutes to hook up or disconnect.

Jake W
02-23-2003, 07:47 PM
If you want to spend money just buy a JETAWAY from Duane at HTP just turn the handels one second and run the boat then turn the handels back one second bam ready to go boatin nothing to take apart.They cost a little over 1000 bucks but sure will save your pump if you want to run it out of the water much.Jake

Spectra19
02-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Buy the Jet Away that is what I did. And as far as the Lenco goes they are great in a 1/4 mile boat. You can check them between runs but as far as a lake boat they will loosen up and go flyin. Just my 2 cents.
Scott