PDA

View Full Version : Hot Boat or Big Boat

Taylorman
01-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I know this topic has been brought up before but I just had to say it again. I am yet another disatisfied customer of Hot Boat magazine. I got the new issue and not one jet boat in it. I think the magazine editor should take a look at the number of posts in Just Jets as compared to the other categories. Just wanted to get off my chest how much I think this magazine sucks right now. MORE JET BOATS PLEASE.

sidewound
01-21-2003, 07:29 PM
My,
You seem to be harboring a lot of pent up anger inside yourself. Is their somthing else bothering you? My doctor says it's not good to harbor anger, that I should deal wih it right away, before it manifests itself into a huge emotional boil!
I can't speak for everyone but when I'm having these sort of feelings I usually storm down to a tavern on the other side of town, do a lot of shots, and get wasted. Then my big mouth usually gets me into a fight with the biggest guy their. After having my ass kicked and crawling home to nurse my wounds, the next day I seem a lot more accepting of others.
Works for me. Give it a try.

matt1
01-21-2003, 08:10 PM
BOO FRICKITY HOO :D Your just mad cause we got your boat cranked today and now you got some serious spring fever cry Gee this smiley's eyes look just like your new water dumps.Get ya paintin done so's we can dunk that vessel.Mabey I'll be done with Don's boat by sunday and you can come over and meet him and we can run both boats.suck it up summers right around the corner remember winters are short here.BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I here ya on the BIG boat subject more JETS please.
[ January 21, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: matt1 ]

MikeF
01-21-2003, 09:09 PM
There was 3 race jets, but no readers rides. :rolleyes: cry
[ January 21, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

Kwicherbichen
01-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Your correct, this subject has been kicked around a few times.
In simple terms, the lack of jet boats is directly related to money. Most jet boats are under 22' and in the big picture they are not huge money makers for a boat company. For example, a 21' jet boat might cost $30K to build and sell for $40K. That's 10K gross. Then take out payrole and operating costs.... On the other hand, a bigger boat doesn't cost that much more to build. Example: Let's say it cost $50K to build a 28 footer that will sell for $80K +. Much nicer margin for something that takes slightly more work and material.
Since more boaters are demanding bigger toys builders are making them. Now when it comes to advertising and features Hot Boat will follow the money.

Taylorman
01-22-2003, 06:38 AM
Sidewound, sounds like you have bigger problems than me if thats how you take care of your problems. :) Thanks for the reply. As for Matt, the only reason my dump line looks like the gremlin is because you stuck your finger in them and the soaked you dummy. I will try to finish my wifes painting the living room project so I can "dunk the vessel".
I realized that the big boats are the money makers but that does not make my problem better. How do you think Berkeley and all the pump manufacturers feel when the pay money to put adds in Hot Boat and there is maybe two jets in the whole issue? Maybe they should contact a magazine like car craft and change there format to one similar to Car Craft magazine. How about a magazine just for jet boats. My point is you don't see a Car Craft magazine full of tests on new Porches and other $100,000 cars. No, they build motors and fix up old cars. Excuse me while I take another shot of whiskey.
Ok im back.
Maybe just something more for the jet boat guys. Are you listening Hot Boat editors?

AntRant
01-22-2003, 06:39 AM
Thats why i wont even buy it.....I thought awhile back some one was going to make an online jet boat mag.

slotracer
01-22-2003, 06:52 AM
hot boat= $100.000.00 let mine cancel. just go to barnes & knoble and check it out for free :) they take our money and do nothing for jetboats at all.
pat(slotracer) :D

malcolm
01-22-2003, 07:57 AM
I bought the Jan issue to check it out. I was then going to get a subscription, but after looking through it I said WHY?

Taylorman
01-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Believe me, I will not renew my subscription.

cdaspeed
01-22-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm not going to renew.
What a joke of a magazine! Hot boat has become just like easyrider mag. High dollar, high fasion,yuppie shit!

SleekPanther
01-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Aww don't blame them, there just aren't enough of us out there. How many jets were sold last year, not counting those toy jets? I'd guess less than 1000. How many v-drives? Probably less than 100. Now how many performance sterndrives were sold in the same period? 100,000 or more (just guessing on those numbers)? Hot Rod and Car Craft have a huge audience for the stuff they write about, old cars, hot rod engines etc., so they can make money doing it. Hot Boat is the closest thing to what we like out there, and they include some stuff for us pretty regularly. BUT they wouldn't be able to make a buck if it was all about jets. If you send in YOUR pics you might be surprised and see your boat in print!
Paul

cdaspeed
01-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Im not saying it should be just jets.But a least once every issue show us a HOT BOAT [hot rod}
I dont care if it is a omc stern drive,outboard,v drive etc.
Yes they need to sell advertising,I understand that. But don't call it HOT BOAT if your not going to show us hot rod type boats. Call it Performance Boating. [oh, I forgot there already is a Performance Boating mag]I dont purchace that mag either. But if they start showing a [HOT BOAT]once in a while, I will.
I would like to see someone do a poll on how many of HOT BOAT readers are going to purchace a new boat and how much they can really afford to spend on a new boat.
And at the rate they are going,how long before all of their loyal advertisers that have been with them from the begining start to drop off.

Banshee
01-22-2003, 02:32 PM
You guys are right. Kwicherbichen hit the nail on the head. The manufactures are pushing towards bigger and bigger boat$ and Hot Boat is following the money trail like a bloodhound. I think, and always have thought, that there should be a Car Kraft/Hot Rod type of magazine out there for us boaters. I really think that Hot Boat could successfully be split between the two competing interestÂ’s. Think about it, they already have the expertise and infrastructure to pull it off. It would be a win-win for readers of both sides of the wake. That way readers with interest in the high dollar big boatÂ’s wouldn't have to waste their time looking at the few true hot boats that they quietly have to admit will blow their doors off anyway. :D
[ January 22, 2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Banshee ]

***boat
01-22-2003, 04:07 PM
It takes a while to change content, however Hot Boat is making moves to give you more of the small boats. As I get more word on this I will post it.

Sangster
01-22-2003, 05:08 PM
MORE JETS. eek! .Now I'm really gonna get sick....SHOW MORE V-DRIVES......... :D :D :cool: :D :D

Mohavekid
01-22-2003, 05:55 PM
Smaller performance boats of any drive system are what most of us are interested in, can afford and actually own.
That's what the mag covered from the beginning. It's time for it to get back to it's roots a little.

scorpionking
01-22-2003, 06:27 PM
amen, there is a stinking magazine for every other hobby/pastime you can think of, you can find 20 magazines about britney spears,for godsake would it hurt to throw us jetboaters a bone. and while im on the subject,would it hurt to cover some whitewater racing events. and i know a bunch of you guys live in california and arizona but there are other waterways out there than havasu..... ok, i feel better now

A.SNEED
01-22-2003, 06:43 PM
how many of you still would like to see new 18 ft jets and new 18 flat bottoms im sure a lot but not to many people would pay new prices on those boats compared to what they sold for yrs ago.

pebo
01-22-2003, 11:40 PM
We are just a dying breed. Years ago we would cruise Havasu and Parker in our 78'Southwind and it was the norm. Once in awhile you would see a 21' Cruiser. Now I have a 21' Cruiser and it is the smallest boat in our group at the Islander.
Went to the Warlock regatta and i was the only 21' and the only jet. Hot Boat has to follow what's hot these days and it seems like it the big boats. I'll renew this year because I like boats,Big,Small,Jets,v-drive whatever.
Steve
(Still Married With Children)

LVjetboy
01-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Dying breed my a**
Hey Sangster, small hot boat crusade's both of us! We're brothers despite my signature :) I'm sure you missed the no v-drive tech in the last issue...and guess what...so did I! Yep, that's right. I MISSED READING V-DRIVE TECH!!
I'm thinking no v-drive tech and all this boring huge a** offshore poker-run coverage?? WTF? No doubt exciting for the HBM crew, but boring to <most> of us subscribers.
And the subtle editorial defense of big-boat coverage goes on within the pages of HBM...
"Everyone's buying them." "Wakes are too big for small Hot Boats these days." "We have no choice but to follow the herd." Yada yada yada.
Those in the know, know the score. It's just up to them to decide whether marketing drives content or majority of subscriber wishes.
Meanwhile, myself and many other current subscribers take our measily 6-12 inches of freeboard and continue to boat the lakes and rivers. Hmmmm...
jer
[ January 23, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

NorCal Gameshow
01-23-2003, 11:52 PM
when you open up hot rod it's not full of $100,000 off the showroom cars, hot boat can afford to throw in a few pages of jets and v-drives every month.

greg shoemaker
01-24-2003, 06:14 AM
With all of these jets and v drives your talking about we always have a shortage on boats to put in the mag.Jets and v drives are a very small portion of the mfgs sales so the mfgs. always push what they want to sell not the mag.If we have the material we always try to print it. Look at these boards not alot of input but from all the same people. Send me the info and the pictures and we can get them in the mag.

Hud
01-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Greg, talk to Erik Anderson. I know for a fact that he has been shooting the Hot Boats of Northern Ca. for over a year now! idea

Taylorman
01-24-2003, 07:53 AM
The boating industry does not completely revolve around new boat sales. However, I realize it is a large percentage especially with all the big california custom boats. I will say it again, why not write about engine, pump or other fix up projects like car craft does about cars or hot rod does about hot rods. I can't believe there are more $100,000 offshore powerboats that there are jet/v-drive style boats out there. We type on this board to share ideas till the tips of our finger develop blisters so it sure would be nice if Hot Boat would put articles in the magazine related to the things that we type about.

MarKist
01-24-2003, 12:36 PM
YEA!!!WHAT TAYLORMAN SAID !!!! burningm burningm burningm

MarKist
01-24-2003, 01:05 PM
I HAVE BOUGHT THOUSANDS OF MAGS OVER THE YEARS.ALL CAR AND TRUCK MAGS !AND I HAVE THEM ALL,BUT I GOT MY 1st( FIRST!) HOT BOAT MAG WENDSDAY AND I'LL TELL YOU THE TRUTH I THREW IT IN ****IN TRASH,I MEAN IT SUCKED,I MEAN I HAD NO USE FOR IT AT ALL,IT REMINDS ME OF TRUCKIN MAG BACK IN THE EARLY 90s ,IT WENT FROM ALL MAKES AND MODLES ,AND HOW TO's,TO NOTHING BUT NEW AND MINI TRUCKS,SO I DROP MY SUBSCRIPTION AND TOLD THEM WHY!!A COUPLE OR MAYBE A YEAR LATER THEY CAME OUT WITH CLASSIC TRUCKIN AND I LOVE IT !,I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!SO MAYBE HOT BOAT NEEDS TO TAKE US LITTLE BOATS INTO CONCIDERATION!!AND BY THE WAY I'M DROPING MY SUB.TO HOT BOAT, MAYBE LATER WHEN IT GETS BETTER OR IF HAS A RUNOFF! HINT,HINT,JUST MY O2! P.S I LOVE THESE FORUMS THOUGH! LATER FELLAS

roostwear
01-24-2003, 02:39 PM
http://www.roostwear.com/email/RR2.jpg

Taylorman
01-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Roostwear, is this a real magazine? I've never heard of it. If it is, where do we get it and why has none of use heard or it before?

roostwear
01-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Taylorman,
No it's not real..... just kinda throwing out what ***boat could do if they wanted to.
[ January 24, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: roostwear ]

Taylorman
01-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Damn, I was getting excited. yuk

roostwear
01-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Although, I DO have 5 or 6 spare minutes around 3am I can devote to it.........

AntRant
01-24-2003, 03:26 PM
RIVERROD, RIVERROD, RIVERROD :D :D

cyclone
01-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Roostwear--my new shirt came out much better. thanks!
HB Jet wants royalties for using his photo and i do too since its me and my boat in the picture! lol

HBjet
01-24-2003, 04:30 PM
I want some money damnit!
HBjet :D

roostwear
01-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Extortion plot foiled by lunatic wannabe publisher. Film at 11.......
http://www.roostwear.com/email/rr3.jpg

MarKist
01-24-2003, 06:24 PM
know thats what I'M TALKIN BOUT idea idea :D :D

Mohavekid
01-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Damn!

Jake W
01-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Gezz Greg more pics what happened to the JUST JETS reg.I think the last one had one color page and like 4 boat pics on the page.And I hate to say it but even the last V Drive thing that was in the mag had 25 boats you could have done some pics on.What about you guys backing out on Tower Park for the Banderlog guys.Not enough pics Im confused.Now the builders not making new jets I can see that.The Jet tech is great but who the F wants to look at another 200000$ Fountain not me.Isnt Reggie rich enough yet.Jake

Taylorman
01-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Yeh, what Jake said.

sandblasted
01-24-2003, 07:46 PM
this recent issue was the 1st ***boat where I saw Fountain take up a 6 page add and Formula take 2 pages...
and Ultra did not even have an add....
whats the point of testing a $210,000 Schiada when very few of their readers can even afford to buy one??

roostwear
01-25-2003, 08:02 AM
One trip out to CBBB, TP, or even run what ya brung at Elsinore would net more photos than ***boat can use in a season. It does require travel instead of readers submitting photos, though.

Banshee
01-25-2003, 01:03 PM
roostwear:
http://www.roostwear.com/email/RR2.jpg I'm getting a boner!

Wet Dream
01-25-2003, 01:42 PM
sandblasted:
whats the point of testing a $210,000 Schiada when very few of their readers can even afford to buy one?? Do you have the survey results indicating the readers income? I would like to see it. :rolleyes: For all we know 90% of the readers make $500k a year in their spare time, the rest of us use the boards.
What classifies as a Hot Boat? If you buy a factory boat, it should be a Hot Boat after you make some mods.

Jake W
01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
I was hoping to get some responce from Greg and ***boat crew.Buler Buler Buler anyone anyone.And who need a servay F%&k Big boats all they do is tear up the water and belong in the Ocean.And if you consider a Crownline with through hull exuast a hot boat that is just too bad.Jake

Jungle Boy
01-29-2003, 08:09 PM
greg shoemaker:
With all of these jets and v drives your talking about we always have a shortage on boats to put in the mag.Jets and v drives are a very small portion of the mfgs sales so the mfgs. always push what they want to sell not the mag.If we have the material we always try to print it. Look at these boards not alot of input but from all the same people. Send me the info and the pictures and we can get them in the mag. Come up to Alberta in the spring and come "River" boating with us guys. I promise you'll have fun and have something to write about. We'll even buy the beer. Hope to see someone from ***boat at the Whitecourt Worlds in August. ***boat has done some very good articles in the pastr while covering Whitewater jetboating, but a couple of boat tests would be great. Call Eagle Racing for a time and date. :cool:

bigkatboat
01-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Hi, I'm new here but not new to boating. I believe what Shoemaker said is only half true. I have had over 20 of my customers that sent in photos, and letters, and a few even came to Havasu for a photo shoot and DID NOT EVER GET IN THE MAGAZINE ONCE! Why, I think I know why, but I can not say it here. I do agree that $$$$$ drives the whole thing as in any busness, but as someone else said Hot Rod has articles on tech and real world projects. I have designed a 21' tunnel that would run well with a jet and have freeboard, but Who will step-up for a hand crafted, BB jet @ $37500.00 ? I could plug and tool, first hull out in June. Well?

LVjetboy
01-29-2003, 10:51 PM
See, there you go. Stuff is out there...just depends on where you're looking and what your motivation is?
jer

scorpionking
01-30-2003, 06:17 PM
if hotrod hotbike and every other mag can put together how to and resto projects looks like ***boat could spare a few pages of 150,000.00 dollar boats that all look the same for a few project boats. heck we see havasubarneys resto projects on the boards all the time, a few articles like that would be nice......

Tahiti
01-30-2003, 09:46 PM
"CLASSIC HOT BOAT" Seems like a great name for a new magazine!
I dumped my "Hot Boat" subscription about a year ago after getting sick of seeing a magazine full of overpriced yuppy sh#t! Bottom line Hot Boat has been talking for a couple years now and nothing has surfaced to date. I refuse to buy or subscribe to another Hot Boat magazine until they can provide a sufficient amount good old fashion classic hot boats and tech articles.
I think Hot boat should poll their current readers and all the members of this Forum. They might find that creating a new magazine for classic hot boats may be profitable from the thousands of readers wanting a retro type magazine. I would imagine they would be able to sell quite a bit of advertising ie; Summit, Jegs, PAW, Fiberglass and Paint Suppliers, trailer manufacturers etc along with the newer giant overpriced yuppy crap.

Taylorman
01-31-2003, 09:52 AM
Yeh, what Tahiti said. Looks like Ive sparked up a pretty good debate. Hot Boat are you listening?

Wet Dream
01-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Jake W:
if you consider a Crownline with through hull exuast a hot boat that is just too bad. Not hardly the mods I was thinking about. But who considers a Crownline a Hot Boat in the first place?

Jake W
01-31-2003, 04:26 PM
True true I just wanted some people to post up.Jake

Wet Dream
01-31-2003, 07:52 PM
I'm with you on the "Get with it Hot Boat" program.