PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Flooring Offset?

Wet Dream
03-11-2006, 06:05 AM
I'm getting ready to lay down the laminate flooring. This has beveled edges on all 4 sides. The visible part of each plank is 50.5" long. I'm debating on splitting offsetting every other plank in half so that the seams would match every other run, or in 3rds, where it would match every 3rd run. Does anyone have any preferances either way?

Dman
03-11-2006, 06:38 AM
The most common offset or rack is to use a four plank set. Offset each end about 1' from the next, begining with a full plank and ending with one that is about 14". This also helps stabilize the floor and minimizes waste as the cut pieces are more usable for end pieces than 1/2 plank cuts. What product are you installing?

Wet Dream
03-11-2006, 06:56 AM
I have the Armstrong Quicklock Plus. The Pergo was actually cheaper, but I didn't like the plain boards. This has the bevels to break up the floor. Its 400 square feet and didn't want the linoleum look

Just Tool'n
03-11-2006, 07:29 AM
I have done 3 diffrent jobs over the last 3 years. I allways stagger the planks in 3rds. I have never had any problems with doing it that way.
I really watch this, my home office is done in it has never had any problems, plus it makes your joints stonger
1st row start with full plank
2nd row use a plank 2/3rds the size of the full length
3rd row use a plank 1/3rd the size of the full length
4th row use a full plank
Hope this helps

Cas
03-11-2006, 07:49 AM
3 or 4 board stagger usually looks best.
What's the length of the room? Do a little math to figure out what will work best so you don't end up with 2 or 3 inch pieces at the other end. It's also a good idea to measure the width so you don't end up with a real skinny piece at the other side. Sometimes you need to rip down the first row in order to get a good pattern.