PDA

View Full Version : And suddenly there appeared a sqeak

Taylorman
07-01-2002, 02:25 PM
I was out at the river the weekend and my boat started making a noise. Its coming from somewhere around the engine obviously. You can only here is when I go back down to idle for a couple of seconds. I cant tell where its coming from. A friend said he thinks it was the alternator bearing but I disconnected the belt and ran it and it still makes the noise. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the pump, so I shot some grease in the main bearing and in the u joint. Still makes the noise. I did not grease the forward nuckle on the u joint because I could not get to the zerk. Anyone have any suggestions?

HammerDown
07-01-2002, 02:32 PM
So how is the oil pressure? And I'm not saying its a motor problem...however one of the local jetters had a slight squeel after a hard pass...turned out to be a crank bearing! Hope that's not what your hearing. Ya might just have to disconect the pump and run the motor. Just saw ya were not able to get to the front universal...I'd look to that for the noise...and then run the motor without the drive shaft. Just to be sure!
[This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited July 01, 2002).]

Taylorman
07-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Oil pressure was fine.

BIG B
07-01-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman:
Oil pressure was fine.
I had a noise like that and it ended up being the front bearing in the jet.

Kwicherbichen
07-01-2002, 08:24 PM
Same here, thrust bearing for pump

pb
07-02-2002, 05:27 AM
Taylorman,
Is the noise constant or intermitent?
I had the same thing happen. I had the engine out and turned the shaft to check and all felt well. Put new motor in and every once in awhile I would hear a squeal that would last about 2-3 second and then disappear. I also pumped grease into the bearing only to have it happen again. I also checked the u-joints when the motor was out and all seemed fine.
My engine builder could not put a finger on the noise as well. I checked the bearing housing for excessive heat. It is slightly hot to the touch after running, but not so hot that you have to pull your hand away.
I think this would be normal. I wish I had an answer for you but I am chasing the same demon.