so I've pulled it out and want to clean the
old glue off of the glass on the inside of
the boat. Something that wont mess with the
glass but will disolve the glue. A lot of
the glue came off with a stiff sharp putty-
knife. I'd like to get it down to the clean
glass.
Thanks, Mac.
when i used to restore corvettes, we used to use lacquer thinner on a rag to clean the fiberglass on the under side back to original. might try a small spot and see if it works.
also i was thinking of replacing mine too, anybody know where you can get shag marine carpeting like the original? i know its kinda old fashion, but its original and i love the feel on my feet, plus its not slippery when wet. mine is ok just faded. any help would be great. thanks guys.
[This message has been edited by apollo74 (edited May 25, 2002).]

challengerjet
05-25-2002, 11:04 AM
try Jassco adhesive remover, it is wicked stuff, you can get it at Home Dope. Make sure you wear rubber gloves and don't let it sit for a long time. I used it earlier this year and it worked great, just put it on sparingly with a rag and then in a minute or so scrape it out with a putty knife.
cjet

DickDanger
05-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Don't forget to bring the elbow grease!!!! I just did the new carpet thing to my boat, and it looks great. As far as carpeting, try J&J Auto fabrics in Rialto. Great guys, great products, you can't go wrong with them. -DD out

Shockwave
05-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Hey Mac- I tried every chemical known to man- nothing would get the glue out of the pattern of the roving that my hull was layed up from without taking the resin with it and loosening up the roving- was like trying to scrape up bubble gum with cat hair in it. I ended up grinding it- the glue and a thin layer of glass from the entire area of my boat where the old carpet was at. I tried all kinds of grinders also but ended up with a big carbide burr on the end of a die grinder- were talking major, major, double-dog PITA here- will not go through it again- will buy a new hull first. I had to get the glue out to do a stringer replacement and needed to get down to good solid glass to attach to structurally. It was a mess- if you grind that stuff protect yourself- I used Tyvek suits, repirator, latex gloves etc...
Later-
Holland