PDA

View Full Version : The only stupid question .........................

Elk Chaser
08-16-2003, 05:27 AM
Is the one not asked.............
Can someone explain "pump setback" to me ???
As well as setting the angle of the intake, are you inserting shims to increase the angle of attack of the shoe or a loader or ???
And what reference are you using to measure the angle ????
Sorry for the "Stupid Questions" Oh wait, I asked them so they are not stupid now, just green.

Danhercules
08-16-2003, 07:07 AM
I think I got the pump set back. The pump is just that, set back farther to the transum. The intake is closer to the back of the boat. The cleanout is usally outsid the boat then. A pump with a setback, droop and a diverter sticks sooooo far out of the boat, it looks cool!!
What is dose????? I think makes the boat run drier, some one help me on this!!

comin' unscrewed
08-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Elk Chaser:
As well as setting the angle of the intake, are you inserting shims to increase the angle of attack of the shoe or a loader or ???
And what reference are you using to measure the angle ????This involves removing the insert from the hull. You know, the part that's epoxied into the bottom and the suction housing bolts to. After machining it for a shoe and ride plate, it is epoxied back in at a 4 degree steeper angle. This changes your thrust angle providing greater lift and freer ride (less drag due to less wetted surface).

Hallett19
08-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Rule 1: There is no such thing as a stupid question around here. :D
I would talk to HBJet, when he goes off on pumps, setback, shoe, ridplates, etc. etc., he does a pretty damn good job of helping me understand. Chime in here Randy !

Elk Chaser
08-16-2003, 03:49 PM
OK, so technically this is a set back pump with a ride plate. Correct?
Just has a "set up" transom...... wink
As for the shoe that requires machining the intake I would assume that it is removable and adjustable, mine is not.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/935Jet.JPG

1Bahnerjet
08-16-2003, 04:10 PM
A Question for you Guys with the Set Back Pumps, do you Worry about Towing in Slow Traffic with all that Pump Sticking out of the back of the Boat? :confused:
-----------
Thats BANNER with an H

Oldsquirt
08-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Elk Chaser:
OK, so technically this is a set back pump with a ride plate. Correct?
No. What you have is referred to as an "insert-style" pump. It requires a specially molded transom to install. Only the pumps that had intake assemblies that mount through the bottom of the hull are capable of being "set-back".
The term "set-back" simply refers to the fact that the intake assembly has been moved rearward relative to its original installation.

MikeF
08-16-2003, 04:12 PM
EC, That is an "insert" type pump. A setback one is the type that mounts to the hull bottom, not the transom. :cool:

MikeF
08-16-2003, 04:14 PM
1Bahnerjet:
A Question for you Guys with the Set Back Pumps, do you Worry about Towing in Slow Traffic with all that Pump Sticking out of the back of the Boat? :confused:
-----------
Thats BANNER with an H Practically EVERY TIME! eek! !
I don't want anyone to damage the hull! Not an easy fix :mad: .

Bense468
08-16-2003, 04:19 PM
EC that looks like an "E" pump.

MikeF
08-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Basically, The reference point is the hull bottom @ the side of the intake. That is the "0" point. Then you measure in degrees what the pump is angled at (engine should be intalled at the same angle). A low profile intake (6 deg) moves the pump lower in the hull and makes the loading of the pump a little easier (granted, it is not much, but god is in the details wink ). You are decreasing the angle that the water has to take when getting into the pump.
By setting back the pump you are effectively moving your running surface farther back trying to free up the boat cause now (with a shoe and plate) you can get more boat out of the water and increase your speed by taking away drag. You pretty much want a "straight" bottom. Cyclone's 2nd strake has a hair of rocker in it and I'm pretty sure that causes the bow to lift @ speed, which again should free up the boat by adding a bit of aerodynamic lift (I think :p ). :cool:

roostwear
08-16-2003, 04:50 PM
You have an E pump. A couple suggestions...... convert it to a "C/G" style to get the cable out of the water, and kick that ride plate up a little if you're bow steering.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/896e_conversion.jpg

Bense468
08-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Some boats like rocker. You are exactly right Mike I think Roger put that in for a reason. It does get it to rock back and that is a good thing.

Elk Chaser
08-16-2003, 05:05 PM
OK, I learned something.
That explains why the hull is molded with an inverted intake scoop on the bottom with the intake set up into the hull as opposed to the intake mounted directly to the bottom of the hull level with the keel.
This has been confusing me when I was trying to figure out if I should put in a loader. (which I have and have not tried it out yet)
Bad Idea ??? Or what with this style intake.
Is an "insert" style pump a good style of pump or is it cheap/low budget.
As for cables....
My plan was to move the steering cable up onto the place diverter's steering arm raising it high on the transom and getting rid of the steering arm mounted on the bottom and then move the other two cables up higher on the transom to get them out of the water more.
[ August 16, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Elk Chaser ]

Bense468
08-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Some people like their E pumps. I for one think a G setup is the best way to go. The suction piece is the same with the c and the g pump. Just the bowl is different. The G bowl is a split bowl so you can add a droop or wedge if you would like. With a setback G bowl pump it is very easy to do the pump work. You could actually pull the bowl in the water if you wanted. Not that you really would. You can also pop the hand hole cover in the water, if it is set back past the transom. Hope this helps.