PDA

View Full Version : Starting jetboat outta water

98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie
09-11-2003, 08:15 PM
So I have heard a few options here for starting my jet boat outta water, but decided to let the GURUs steer me clear of this embarrassingly simple operation that I really have no knowledge of, but have watch guys do it several different ways.
Was told to hook up the hose to the water line fitting in the engine compartment which is all straight forward to me....but have been told that I might also want to take off the clean out cover and rig up a hose there as well to keep the pump happy.
If this is the case, I was thinking of rigging up one of the hose Y-fittings that you can buy at any Home Depot or hardware store that has the valves at each output of the Y, so that I can run one to the motor and one to the pump. That way I could independently adjust the water flow at each.
Was instructed to turn the pump valve first to lube the pump up, fire the motor and then turn the that valve on. Was told to adjust water pressure for the motor until I see trickle/water coming out out of the exhaust. Not running any headers, just stock exhaust thru the transom. On the pump side, the important thing on the rigging is the ensure the hose is properly supported to as not to obviously suck it thru the pump! :(
Does this sound like the right advise oh wise ones????

HammerDown
09-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Do a search on this topic...but real quick, I run very tight clearance in my pump...I also run it on the hose...never had ANY accelerated wear from doing so, not so much as a scratch.
However, I don't make a habbit of doing it, just to make sure it fires before I tow to the Ramp and or to check/set timing etc. Also, the tail bushings in my Bowl are in perfect shape...so there's no sag going on back there that (may) cause Impeller/wear ring contact.

Moneypitt
09-12-2003, 12:05 AM
If you interupt the jet water supply for the engine with a gate valve, and the a hose bib into a "T", you can hook up the garden hose to the hose bib, (with 2 female hose ends), open the hose bib and crack the gate valve. Turn on the garden hose and regulate the water to the jet with the gate valve, this will also determine how much water goes to the engine...With a little practice, you can regulate water to the jet, and water through the engine to the exhaust, further adjustment can be made by turning the pressure up or down. I've done this for years with no adverse results as far as excessive jet wear or overheating or flooding any engines. When you're done, close the hose bib and open the gate valve all the way, DO NOT use the gate valve to restrict water flow into the engine while on the water!!! (But, you can hook up a short hose with a nozzle to the bib and wet down your neighbor with water from the jet!!!!)..... Moneypitt

AZKC
09-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Very short amounts of time. My Panther has a non lubed seal that will melt if you run it more than 5-6 minutes. I called Panther to get the lowdown.
KC

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-12-2003, 11:08 AM
I'M WITH HAMMERDOWN, I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM JUST RUNNING IT. THE FIRST YEAR I HAD THE BOAT I WOULD START IT IN THE WINTER JUST TO GET MY FIX OF BIG BLOCK SOUND, AND IT STILL RUNS GREAT. JUST DO IT FOR VERY SHORT TIMES, AND DON'T REV IT MUCH...BILL.

clownpuncher
09-12-2003, 07:09 PM
98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie:
If this is the case, I was thinking of rigging up one of the hose Y-fittings that you can buy at any Home Depot or hardware store that has the valves at each output of the Y, so that I can run one to the motor and one to the pump. That way I could independently adjust the water flow at each.
Was instructed to turn the pump valve first to lube the pump up, fire the motor and then turn the that valve on. Was told to adjust water pressure for the motor until I see trickle/water coming out out of the exhaust. Not running any headers, just stock exhaust thru the transom. On the pump side, the important thing on the rigging is the ensure the hose is properly supported to as not to obviously suck it thru the pump! :(
Does this sound like the right advise oh wise ones???? Sounds right from what I've just learned from Froggystyle the past few weeks. In fact,that's exactly how I was told to do mine. I've got some garden hose and a "y" with 1/4 turn ball valves, adjust each side to desired level

sidewound
09-13-2003, 06:20 AM
I'm runnin the ultimate wear ring so I don't run it out of the water.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie
09-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Thanks oh wise ones of the jet boat forum...
Bottom line, don't run too long. Thx hammer - the search engine here works great and many forums on this topic. Very power search tool...
Thx money pitt - Newbury Parker!! Right on. Across from the high school myself.
AZKC - Again, everyone seems to have a different setup give or take and there 2 cents, thx for the run down. I have no idea what kind of seal I have though.
Boston Sidewinder - I too gotta here that BBC from time to time (and let the neighbors wonder if the Winter Nationals are in town). Really a good idea before lug'in the slug to any lake.
Thx clownpuncher - NICE PIC!!! :D
Thx sidewound - Like AZKC, multiple setups result in different procedures as far as runnin her out of water. THX for the advise...
You guys are the bomb. Does lead me to a little story. When I bought my boat a couple of months ago, took it to a jet boat place in Ventura, (only place locally I could find in the listings) because I notice that I was only tack'in at about 3200 R's at WOT :confused: . Not really knowing anything (let alone runnin her out of water), took it to this outfit because I thought maybe the timing was jacked up or something. Guy hooked it up to the hose line, shot some water in the pump and wasted NO TIME rappin on the throttle immediately after he fired it up. I mean hitting the throttle HARD at WOT for 5 seconds or so and running it for a couple of minutes :rolleyes: . Felt like he was trying to gernade the motor so I could bend me over for some cash. Time turned out to be right on and it was the switch on back of the TACH set to the wrong setting/position (either 4 or 6 cylinder instead of 8). So fixed that but the whole time I was a little freaked out cuz the guy was twistin the motor up pretty hard and it was'nt even warmed up initially and I'm sure on the first couple of raps, oil pressure not where it should be devil . Then I was stupid enough to buy a loader grate from him for $180 (which I found from Hardin Marine for $130 on the internet), a cap/rotor for $45 (which I found at the local parts store for $30) and charged me $60 for the timing check took lasted all of 10 min. of his time. WTF??? Never go back to that jack ass. Still a little trickle of blood flowin from that experience. :mad: Live and learn. THX Guys, wealth of information!!!

79Hawaiian
09-13-2003, 04:24 PM
I ran my Jacuzzi WJ with the exact Y setup you described for 12 years with no problems. I would let the water flow freely to the pump with the hose on full blast and then slowly add water to the engine once started. Even when running 80% of the water would flow to the pump which can't be a bad thing.
Started doing this just after I rebuilt the pump and she never wore out on me in 12 years.

wet77
09-14-2003, 06:01 AM
I just dug myself a 30,000sq' pond in my back yard and had a landing put in so I can time in or work on the jet boat whenever!
Told the wife it was a pond for her horses now she knows better!!