PDA

View Full Version : Burned out spark plug electrodes?

1tricky1
08-27-2002, 06:04 PM
What would cause a spark plug electrode to burn up? I know I'm running a little lean, but I don't think it's that lean. When they burnt I had a problem the previous day with the "T" valve getting stuck open and having water going thru the headers (Rewarder Twisties) at idle. I fixed that problem but I'm thinking some water got to the spark plugs and may have started some corrosion and then my lean condition burnt them up? It would happen after cruising for a while, then coming down to an idle and then it would back fire out the exhaust. Anyone experience anything like this?

Bahner tunnel
08-27-2002, 06:40 PM
This sounds like an early warning of some real problems to come . Your spark plugs are the first thing to warn you of internal engine problems with there condition . Your pistons and valves will be next to go if it stays lean . Try 2 to 4 jet sizes bigger and see how your plugs look . I haven't heard of water causing a problem that you have described so I not sure on that one .

squirts
08-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Better to run rich and replace a set of plugs than to run lean and replace a motor. :cool:

Infomaniac
08-27-2002, 07:16 PM
DETONATION DETONATION DETONATION

Hustler
08-27-2002, 08:03 PM
Check your fuel, I had that happen to me a few years ago after I filled up on the water. Killed my motor and my buddies about the same time. Good Luck

timitunnel
08-27-2002, 08:10 PM
I would check all the above and that your heat range on your plugs isn't to hot.

1tricky1
08-29-2002, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the input! I will be fattening her up a little and probably going to a cooler plug. I'm also thinking I may have got some bad gas. Thanks again.