PDA

View Full Version : aluminum yoke, billet to usable part.

wsuwrhr
12-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Aluminum driveshaft I made (http://free.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001120)
I thought I would change the forum the thread is in smile_sp , since the part I made is for a jet drive.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/drive11.JPG
Brian
[ January 18, 2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

76sanger
01-01-2003, 04:32 AM
beautiful part!!!!. i checked out your boat pages too. i also love your alt. bracket. did you machine a special pulley for the coupler? im not a machinist by any means. i dont have a driveshaft cover on my boat so the thought of having a billet alluminum shaft and putting the alternator back there is great. what kinda price are we talking here for both pieces?

wsuwrhr
01-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the compliment Sanger,
I made the alt bracket because I run a crank triggered ignition, and I didn't want any pulleys on the trigger wheel. I liked the look of the wheel too much. I was toying with the location of the alternator and a friend of mine suggested to put it on the pump. The shaft is direct drive so why not? Necessity is the mother of all invention.
The alternator uses a standard pulley. The yoke I have has a machined section that I slipped a pulley on. Some yokes have this, some dont. You can either purchase a new yoke, or the one you have can machined to fit.
The driveshaft I made is set up for 1350 U-joints.
I could make one for 1310 U-joints if that is what you have. I started on the driveshaft
for the same reason as the alternator bracket, necessity. I had switched from and Olds to a Dodge, and I had the old style Rockwell coupler, that part wouldnt fit, and I had to put my motor an inch or so farther forward. I went to Inland driveline they didn't have an H-bar long enough.I figured billet would be cool.
I took some measurements,and away I went. So far I have only built them for myself,
so I hadn't cut a price out, but I would say it would be in the $150-200 range.
The bracket is cheap comparably at around $35. I couldn't quote you a price for the pulley until I saw what the yoke looked like, but it would be reasonable, say $30 or so. Let me know if you are interested. I am seriously thinking about a production run. I got a better response than I had figured.
Sorry for the long-winded post, just figured I would give you the whole story.
Brian
[ January 01, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 08:24 AM
I wanted to see this at the top again. Shameless.
Brian

superdave013
01-18-2003, 08:32 AM
You spammer!
haha, Now if that's not the pot calling the kettle black! :D
Hey, I was looking at your past e-bay sales today.
You need to make some marine air cleaner tops and BBC dist. clamps brah.

slotracer
01-18-2003, 08:35 AM
how much for a set of engine mounts?
pat(slotracer) :D

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 08:36 AM
I am working on the aircleaner for my twin dominators. Boy will that be a peice. After I made that part, I was hoping it would draw interest to other custom aircleaners. I will do some clamps for the BBC. Doesn't someone already make them?
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Slot,
Are you talking about the urethane mounts on the website?
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 08:38 AM
I am also working on a nitrous bottle bracket.
Brian
[ January 18, 2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

superdave013
01-18-2003, 07:23 PM
wsuwrhr:
I will do some clamps for the BBC. Doesn't someone already make them?
Brian Yeah, I'm sure someone does. But so what.
Lots of people are making those billet air cleaners too. And a guy on e-bay is selling the most pimp NOS bottle brackets you've ever seen.
Does that mean you should not make them too? Not if you ask me.
I bet you could sell way way more BBC hold down clamps then you do the VW ones. Hell, I will buy the first one. :)

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 07:24 PM
I hate to say it but the nitrous bracket I am making IS the one on Ebay.
Brian

superdave013
01-18-2003, 07:39 PM
wsuwrhr:
I hate to say it but the nitrous bracket I am making IS the one on Ebay.
Brian Really, you are the one making this one?
http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_f56b6da2d29b1729d8f10726984cd637/i-1.JPG
I emailed the seller a few times and it sure didn't sound like you. If it is that's a bad ass part you made!

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 07:50 PM
Gawd, I wish I could take credit for it. That is one bad ass part. But I designed one up today like that, but with a different base. I didn't like the base. I feel guilty as hell until the money starts showing up. I am sure he will be sending me hate mail. Did you see the wakeboard bracket he has? I was thinking of doing that too.
Brian
[ January 18, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 07:51 PM
I wish the parts I MADE would sell. Better luck next time I guess. I'll do up some clamps next week.
Brian

superdave013
01-18-2003, 08:00 PM
wsuwrhr:
Gawd, I wish I could take credit for it. That is one bad ass part. But I designed one up today like that, but with a different base. I didn't like the base. I feel guilty as hell until the money starts showing up. I am sure he will be sending me hate mail. Did you see the wakeboard bracket he has? I was thinking of doing that too.
Brian Yeah, those wakeboard deals are very nice. I agree about the base. That's made for a drag car and it's cool for that. But in a boat it would get tossed around to much for that I think. Someone else makes a nice one that holds 2 bottles. Have you seen that one?
Your stuff will sell, give it time. Keep dreaming up stuff. One of these days one of them will hit big.
I sold a nitrous system on e bay and it went for way more then I thought it would. I've made 2 more bases. One for a guy that didn't win the bid and another one that I'm putting the nozzles in just for e bay.

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 08:03 PM
I saw that. 700 bucks. I was going to offer to partner up with you to make some more if you were interested. Who makes the bracket for two bottles?
I saw a couple but they weren't very clean.
Brian

slotracer
01-18-2003, 08:28 PM
yes the ones for the engine plate mounts.
pat(slotracer) :D

wsuwrhr
01-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Hi Slot,
The blocks with the urethane are $35 each. These parts are billet, not cast parts machined to look pretty. They are 2-1/2" wide. I could probably make them 2" if you wanted them narrower.
The spacers are 303 stainless. Let me know if you are interested, or if you want more information.
Brian

slotracer
01-19-2003, 06:38 AM
do they take away some of the vibration from a engine on a rail system? i will also measure mine to see what size they are and post back later today thanks pat(slotracer) :D

Clown
01-19-2003, 08:42 AM
wsuwrhr:
I wanted to see this at the top again. Shameless.
Brian Do you make that alternator bracket that mounts on the pump???????
If so send me some info
Allmost forgot is there a brace on the back of the alternator as well?
Thank you.
smile_sp

jacuzer
01-19-2003, 09:16 AM
What does the drive pulley look like on the alternator setup?
What does the pulley mount to, the yolk or the pump shaft?
Kevin

wsuwrhr
01-19-2003, 09:24 AM
The drive pulley is one piece that fits on a machined portion of the yoke, if your yoke has it.
If it doesn't, you need a different style yoke or machine the one you have. I thought about putting the pulley on the shaft, but the shaft is usually covered up by the yoke. It looks pretty clean when it is all together.
Brian
[ January 19, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

wsuwrhr
01-19-2003, 09:32 AM
I built the mounts with the idea of deadening the vibration of a motor with a solid mount setup. My boat runs pretty smooth, but I can't say for sure since it wasn't a head-to-head test. I took out a stock Olds 455, and I put in a Dodge 440. I have never seen isolated mounts in a rail setup before,
and I was trying something new. If you want to try out the mounts and see if they make a difference in your boat, I will guarantee you like them, or I can refund your money. Providing you don't install them with a hammer. Ha Ha. Now what a deal. It must be early or something.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Back to the top. Shameless.
Brian

jacuzer
02-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Have you assembled your driveline yet?
I'm curious as to how the aluminium held up to pressing the u-joint caps. Any distortion?
What material did you use?
Kevin