PDA

View Full Version : Drain hole lines for water injected headers ???

ky river rat
05-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Has anyone tried or what would you guys think about instead of just having drain holes in the headers I would like to try and make some type of drain lines to keep my motor area a little cleaner? I'm sure someone has had or tried this idea before.
I just had new seats made for 76' Avenger and went with an off white, I have a set of logs but would rather use my Bassett's but don't want burnt fuel and water spray on the new seats. The drain holes for the headers are outside the bilge area and outside the stringers and there's no were for the water to go so the drainage makes it to the front of the boat by the end of the day. Don't mind working to keep everything dry, small price to pay to sound good and for performance, just looking for a better way to keep things dry and clean. Any thoughts shared or advice would be greatly welcomed! Tim

cyclone
05-02-2003, 08:14 AM
i've seen some boats that had small aluminum trays mounted to the strings that would catch the water coming from the weep holes in the headers. the trays were angled so that the water just splashed into the bilge area of the boat. looked like it would work pretty good.

XClutchboy725
05-02-2003, 08:18 AM
I actually installed bent stainless hard lines on mine. A little pricey but easy to do. I'll post some pics tomorrow morning of your interested! It will give me a chance to use my new digital camera :D

HammerDown
05-02-2003, 08:48 AM
A Bud of mine has the hard drain line on his SS Headers...pretty trick. I belived he ordered them like that.

ky river rat
05-02-2003, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by XClutchboy725:
[QB] I actually installed bent stainless hard lines on mine. A little pricey but easy to do. I'll post some pics tomorrow morning of your interested! It will give me a chance to use my new digital camera : That would be great, would like to see how you fab. and installed yours. Picture would be worth a thousand words.Thanks, Tim

MarKist
05-02-2003, 02:26 PM
DAMN,, wink that's funny I was thinking the same thing!can't wait to see pics Xclutchboy!!!! :D :D :D i'm taking my headers monday to be ceramic coated maybe i'll wait and see and have them installed on my headers since I'm in the same shape that KY river rat is in ,,white interior and all!!! wink :D :D :D

XClutchboy725
05-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Cool! that settles it!
...stay tuned for tomorrow mornings pics!

XClutchboy725
05-03-2003, 08:46 AM
O.K. Here ya go!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/310Headers_007-med.jpg

Hotcrusader76
05-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Could you expand on the parts required? Sizes and what not? :)
I think I am going to 'splash' your idea on those drain lines. Great idea!
~Ty

MarKist
05-03-2003, 08:03 PM
I just don't see how they would drain ,, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: with that fitting up in the header like that :confused: it will still hold water with a fitting stuck up in the pipe!! :p :p don't get me wrong that's trick as hell just my o2 :D :D wouldn't it be better to tig weld hard lines to the headers even with the bottom of the header tube??? :cool:
Mark

XClutchboy725
05-03-2003, 09:05 PM
If you look closely, you'll notice that there is a threaded bung welded to the bottom of each pipe. The fitting does not protrude into the header at all.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/310Headers_007-med.jpg
[ May 03, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: XClutchboy725 ]

XClutchboy725
05-03-2003, 09:09 PM
HotCrusader...
as far as parts go, All you need are eight pipe to -3 AN fittings and the Stainless Steel tubing flared with nuts! Then just bend accordingly :D

DUCKY
05-03-2003, 09:12 PM
I always wondered about something like that. Do you have the lines plumbed into an overboard dump fitting, or into a tank, or do they just dump into the bilge?

XClutchboy725
05-04-2003, 11:48 AM
They just dump into the bige. The tubes redirect the water just enough so that there's no mess on the outside of the stringers.

MarKist
05-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Jeff, I must say you da man, wink that's all I needed to know! that's a cool set up :D :D didn't mean to upset you if I did , :( thanks for the info wink :p

XClutchboy725
05-04-2003, 07:55 PM
...not at all...glad to help! :D

Banshee
05-05-2003, 04:53 AM
XClutchboy725:
If you look closely, you'll notice that there is a threaded bung welded to the bottom of each pipe. The fitting does not protrude into the header at all.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/310Headers_007-med.jpg Xclutchboy that is awesome!
Did you do the welding or did the headers come like that? If so what brand?
I’m thinking that ya just can’t weld the fittings on without messing up the chrome.
Again I want to say what a fine job.

XClutchboy725
05-05-2003, 06:27 AM
They were ordered like that from Bassett several years ago. I don't recall how much extra it was, but I checked recently to see if they could still do it if I ordered a new set...Paul said no prob!
I would imagine you could tack weld some bungs to the bottom of the pipe without damaging the chrome too much. wink
[ May 05, 2003, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: XClutchboy725 ]

Banshee
05-06-2003, 05:12 AM
XClutchboy725:
They were ordered like that from Bassett several years ago. I don't recall how much extra it was, but I checked recently to see if they could still do it if I ordered a new set...Paul said no prob!
I would imagine you could tack weld some bungs to the bottom of the pipe without damaging the chrome too much. wink Thanks buddy. I already added it to my wish list. I don't think you could just tack weld the fittings though. They would have to be seal welded. I may get my headrs ceramic coated. That would be the time to do it if I don't just buy new ones.