PDA

View Full Version : Help on Hull and Jet Selections

LiquidJ
06-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Hey jet boat fans, kind of a lurker, do not have a lot a time to post, but need you help. You guys are the experts so here it is.
I have two jet boats I have acces to buy, and would like you opinions on the hulls and drive. I know the 455 should be used as an anchor...but they have both been rebuilt by marine engine rebuilders.
The first is a 73 Marlin with a rebuilt Berkley Drive w/ Jet-O-Vator and a rebuilt 455 (approx 15 hours).
The other is a 73 Hondo with a Jacuzzi WJ drive (original) and rebuilt 455 .03 over (approx 20 hours).
I do not have a lot of specs on the engines, but right now am more concerned with the hull and drives. Any negative/postive feed back would be great. Thanks

Tahiti Tiger Mark
06-02-2003, 12:57 PM
We just GPS'd my 18' Tahiti last weekend with 4 people, ice chest, and 20 gallons of gas at 60.3 mph. I have a 455 olds with a torker manifold, holley carb, and crappy log headers, mated to a Berk JC no diverter. Pretty damn basic setup but it runs and is a great skier.

sidewound
06-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Don't be too hard on the 455 or you'll stir everybody up. I just got done building mine. With the right prep the 455 is a descent power plant. Anchor my A$$. If you wanna run the "everybodys got one" power you will get more bang for your buck tho.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

1Bahnerjet
06-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Too Bad You couldn't get the Hondo with the Berkeley, well if you could that would be the set-up. wink
-------------
Thats BANNER with an H

HotHallet
06-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Buy the hondo!

Aqua Boogie1
06-03-2003, 03:56 PM
I would go with the marlin, being that the pump motor has been re-build. It would to be less problems from the motor and pump at least. Even though the hondo motor was done and not the pump. Just my opinion????? :confused:

Aqua Boogie1
06-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Ooohhh, by the way. Just because I have a marlin carries no right...... wink

Aqua Boogie1
06-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Ooohhh, by the way. Just because I have a marlin carries no weight...... wink

1Bahnerjet
06-03-2003, 04:18 PM
I know What a Hondo is, Whats a Marlin?( do you have a Pic.? ) :confused:
---------------
Thats BANNER with an H

Aqua Boogie1
06-04-2003, 10:21 AM
I don't have a pic to post yet, have to buy a camara. But you can check Vintage jet boats website and check it out there. The openbow is the Aries and the closed, is the tigershark.

judge
06-05-2003, 07:28 PM
If I had to choose between those two boats I would definetly go with the Marlin plainly because it has a berkly pump. The jacuzi pump is not very efficient and if you add hosepower you will be sorry. :p

BrendellaJet
06-05-2003, 08:53 PM
Okay, I think we need to start a new forum rule. If you dont know what you are talking about, then dont offer up advice. The WJ pump is a GOOD pump. Just needs a little TLC-what pump doesn't when they are new(or have never been touched)? Hondo boats are solid. Irv Brendel built solid boats. Not that I know him personally or anything- but Jack had good things to say about his boats- Go with the hondo.

Bahner18
06-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Hondos can be a very fast hull and olds engines make a good amount of power but im told they dont like to REV. As far a jets go you cant go wrong with a berkley. If you must get a Jicuzzi you should invest in an Energizer kit!!!!!

LiquidJ
06-06-2003, 05:52 AM
Thanks for all the feed back. Unfortunatley the Hondo is no longer available. I'm checking out the Marlin (in depth) on Tuesday. Not thrilled about the color and style of the hull, but I can get this boat for aboat $1500 (that's with new interior, new carpet, and rebuilds on the engine and drive). I may not be able to pass it up.

BrendellaJet
06-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Not true about the energizer kit. The 12WJ doesn't need the kit- really a waste of money. For half the price, you could have your pump detailed by a pro pump builder and it will smoke the same boat with the energizer kit. Why go with all those new parts when you could have your stock parts performance detailed. 1500 plus another 800 for the detail and it starts to get expensive. 12 WJ is a solid pump-just needs a little bit of detailing.

mickeyfinn
06-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Is the the boat you are looking at?
ebay boat (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31270&item=2417607241)

judge
06-08-2003, 06:41 PM
I agree the Hondo boat is a nice ride but I have had a Jacuzzi pump in one of my boats and it just does not compare to a berkley or dominator or anything else, no matter how many thousands of dollars you spend on it. But then again I like to start with good parts first. I'v learned my lesson with trying to convert a pump over. It's great until you add a lot of horsepower. This is not ADVICE this is opinion!!!!!!!!

LiquidJ
06-09-2003, 07:57 AM
What do you guys mean, when you say detailing the pump. I'm not really looking for a high horsepower aplication. I want something that is reliable, and can throw a cool rooster for the kids, more of a family toy. I understand that the berkley's can handle the hp's, so what are any other downsides to the jacuzzi's other than the hp issue.
FYI: the boat on ebay is not the boat I am interested in. It's a friend of a friend that has this boat that has been sitting for six years, and he wants to get rid of it.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-09-2003, 08:15 AM
first of all let me clear the water. Jacuzzi's can handle hp too. I am spinning a yj jacuzzi with a 450hp 460 ford. I see no problem with jacuzzi other than effeciency. Although the wj is much better than the yj. mine spins 5300 rpm at 65 mph all day. I hope to invest in the energizer kit soon. If you do by the one from aggressor. Many more options available. But to be honest mine does fine now and I can pull a skier at 2800 rpm and cruise at 3500 rpm. the wj is essentially the same as a berk. the yj is a different monster all together. You really need to consider what you are gonna do with this thing. If it will be a family rig then a jacuzzi may not be too bad for you. 65 is enough to make everyone hold on tight.....
Omega

LiquidJ
06-09-2003, 08:22 AM
What is the effeciency issue? And what is the energizer kit, and what does it do? Are there diverters available for the wj, or does it come standard with a trim device. Thanks again for all the help, I'm a little new to the jets.

LiquidJ
06-09-2003, 09:52 AM
What is the effeciency issue? And what is the energizer kit, and what does it do? Are there diverters available for the wj, or does it come standard with a trim device. Thanks again for all the help, I'm a little new to the jets.