PDA

View Full Version : Thru Transom Headers-BBF

spectratoad
08-17-2003, 05:55 AM
I have a BBF and am looking for TT Headers so I can dump my logs. Any ideas where to start looking? I know they aren't cheap but just wondering if anyone here has any leads to save a few bucks. Any manufacturer better etc... Thanks for the help.

Hallett19
08-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Cant lead you in any money saving direction, if you want a set, you will bleed, trust me. But they are available. Talk to rexone, he should have them, if not he will tell you who does. When/If you get them, let me know, I am very curious to see what kind of improvments they make as I too have a BBF. :)

Jet City
08-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Bassett and Lightning both make em. The Lightnings are pushing $2000., but they have waterjackets and can be used with engine covers, the Bassett's use waterlines and should not be used under engine covers, they run around $750. Bassett will discount them $75. if you have them skip the chrome plating. I myself would much rather have them ceramic coated.

spectratoad
08-17-2003, 08:31 AM
My engine area is covered so the chrome is not a big issue. What does the ceramic coating do? Is that for heat dissipation?

GlastronGuy
08-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Rewarder has the headers for $650 (http://www.rewarderheaders.com/search_result.asp?CATEGORY=ALL&MANUFACTURER=Thru-Transom&DESCRIPTION=&PRODUCT_ID=)
http://www.rewarderheaders.com/images/tt460a.jpg
[ August 17, 2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: GlastronGuy ]

spectratoad
08-18-2003, 05:17 AM
Awesome. I am going to give them a call. That is quite a down angle on the headers. How do you turn it out to the transom? Wouldn't that give alot of wear on one side of the rubber exhaust tube? I have seen them blowout because of too much heat at one spot on the rubber. Just some lack of tech knowledge questions.

hack job
08-18-2003, 07:23 AM
spectratoad:
Awesome. I am going to give them a call. That is quite a down angle on the headers. How do you turn it out to the transom? Wouldn't that give alot of wear on one side of the rubber exhaust tube? I have seen them blowout because of too much heat at one spot on the rubber. Just some lack of tech knowledge questions. with a covered engine you can not by law ( nor is it a good idea ) to run injected headers they get too hot i run lightings on my bbf and they are awesome i believe if you call jan at lighting they migh be able to do some thing for you.
as for the bassetts better loose the engine hatch if you are going to run them ( that also gose for rewarders)
hope this helps
wink

checkmate76
08-18-2003, 12:14 PM
if lightning headers are water jacketed just like the others (bassett, etc..) why can you run these under a hood and not the others?
also Lightning headers cost around $1700. eek!
is there that much$$$ difference in HP compared to log manifolds?
(I'm speaking in terms of low-HP motors like say 400 HP.)

Hallett19
08-18-2003, 12:33 PM
checkmate, the bassett's and rewarders are water INJECTED, not jacketed. They will get just as hot as over transom headers, so under a hatch, they will get hot as hell. Water jacketed is basically what logs are, a tube that carries water over the header tubes.

GlastronGuy
08-18-2003, 05:58 PM
hack job:
spectratoad:
Awesome. I am going to give them a call. That is quite a down angle on the headers. How do you turn it out to the transom? Wouldn't that give alot of wear on one side of the rubber exhaust tube? I have seen them blowout because of too much heat at one spot on the rubber. Just some lack of tech knowledge questions. with a covered engine you can not by law ( nor is it a good idea ) to run injected headers they get too hot i run lightings on my bbf and they are awesome i believe if you call jan at lighting they migh be able to do some thing for you.
as for the bassetts better loose the engine hatch if you are going to run them ( that also gose for rewarders)
hope this helps
wink My bad. I thought injected was fine for TT.

hack job
08-19-2003, 07:37 AM
GlastronGuy:
hack job:
spectratoad:
hope this helps
wink My bad. I thought injected was fine for TT. its not thatinjected is badd for TT its just no engine cover should be used. too much heat undre there . the water jacketed header like that lightings , cmi, hardin marin... are much cooler too the touch which wouod keep them form buring down the boat wink

Squirtcha?
08-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Here's a couple shots of a buddy's boat. He's not mechanical so he asked me to retrofit his logs to the Bassett TT water injected headers (notice....no engine cover). Personally, I wouldn't want to cover those beauties up anyway. Naturally, these guys are right about only running water jacketed in a covered engine compartment.
I plumbed his entire water system with stainless (including the oil cooler). It was a pain in the butt, but it turned out pretty nice.
Oh yeah, he picked up about 200 rpm with the changeover. The only other thing I did was put on and loom his spark plug wires, add the Bassett scoop on the carb and the shiney new valve covers.
One pitfall was reusing the existing holes in the transom for the tips. We had to cut the holes larger and in doing so we offset them some so they'd line up with the headers new position. It was a PIA to get the tips and rubber exhaust hoses on!
Good luck with your project.
http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/mmmmmotort.jpg
http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/motorbackt.jpg
[ August 19, 2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

checkmate76
08-19-2003, 11:20 AM
200 RPM more by ditching the logs and spending about $700 for headers or $1500+ for lightnings.
I'm running logs now with O.T. pipes under a hood with cut outs for the O.T. pipes
basically a stock 460 - .060 over forged flattops - probably only(guessing) about 400 HP?
Yes, I too want to go faster, but I was wondering if this is worth the money spent for a low HP motor compared to the logs?
[ August 19, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: checkmate76 ]

old rigger
08-19-2003, 12:23 PM
[/qb][/QUOTE]its not thatinjected is badd for TT its just no engine cover should be used. too much heat undre there . the water jacketed header like that lightings , cmi, hardin marin... are much cooler too the touch which wouod keep them form buring down the boat wink [/QB][/QUOTE]
not to mention that with the injected headers you'd be filling up the engine box with igniteable fumes from the weep holes in the bottom of the headers. Not a good idea.

spectratoad
08-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Yes the heat issue is what I will be looking at. Thanks for all the info here. I may just stick with logs and work on other items for now in the HP area.
[ August 19, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

Squirtcha?
08-19-2003, 08:07 PM
I gotta say Spectratoad.............The change to headers on my buddy's boat was pretty significant. His motor was basically stock as near as I could tell. He was still running stock valve springs and stamped steel rocker arms, so the cam can't be too large. Single Holley 750 dp on an Edelbrock Torker II manifold and that's about it for mods. He was running 4400 rpm and a gps'd 62-63 mph with the logs, (with what we believe to be an A impeller). Speed after the headers were added was a gps'd 66-67 mph at 4600 rpm with a 19' Rogers hull (good bottoms but fairly heavy). That 200 rpm is nothing to sneeze at, and you'd be hard put to find it by doing other things. I still think that headers are one of the best bang for the buck mods, even on a basically stock motor.
Just another opinion, but seeing what it did for his boat made a believer out of me.
I had kicked around the idea of changing my boat over to TT headers and opted not to. After seeing his done, I sorta regretted not doing it.
[ August 19, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]