PDA

View Full Version : water in the oil

olds455jet
07-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know how water can get in the oil in an olds 455? I just changed the intake gaskets and put the boat in the river and about 20 min. later water in the oil. I cant figur out where it is getting in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jdog
07-13-2003, 06:48 PM
OLds455jet,
Go to page two of this forum and click on "Blown gasket on 455". I posted this a few days ago and got 23 replies. The guys really know what they are talking about. It's been covered many times.
I currrently have the same problem. Will fix soon. Meanwhile it could be several causes. One as you mentioned, the intake gasket, but there are several other areas to cause water in oil.
Running too cold, blown head gasket, cracked heads or block,front timing cover gasket, and so on. Check my post. lots of answers. Jay

572Daytona
07-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Here's a link to jdog's post:
http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=003269

olds455jet
07-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys! It looks like I have alot of work ahead of me. I just cant believe I might have to tear this thing down again. Damn I just had it rebuilt. Anyways thanks again!!!

Taylorman
07-14-2003, 12:52 PM
jdog:
OLds455jet,
Go to page two of this forum and click on "Blown gasket on 455". I posted this a few days ago and got 23 replies. The guys really know what they are talking about. It's been covered many times.
I currrently have the same problem. Will fix soon. Meanwhile it could be several causes. One as you mentioned, the intake gasket, but there are several other areas to cause water in oil.
Running too cold, blown head gasket, cracked heads or block,front timing cover gasket, and so on. Check my post. lots of answers. Jay How does running to cold cause water in oil?

Oldsquirt
07-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Taylorman:
How does running to cold cause water in oil? It doesn't cause water in the oil. It can, however, prevent the oil from reaching a sufficient temperature to burn off any condensation that gets in the crankcase. This can leave that telltale white sludge under the oil cap, inside the valve covers, etc.

Taylorman
07-14-2003, 07:31 PM
I get it. Hey you may want to take a close look at the intake gaskets if that is what you just changed. Put some Right Stuff silicone around your water jackets on both sides of your gaskets. Use Mr. Gasket part number 5846 Ultra Seal gaskets. You can find them at Advance auto parts.

olds455jet
07-14-2003, 08:42 PM
I also get a tiny stream of water peeing out of the seal between the block and intake manifold. I am starting to wonder if my intake is warped.

dgie
07-14-2003, 10:51 PM
I do not know what kind of exhaust you are running, but if you are running OT headers with no pressure "T" valve the water can run into the exhaust ports and into the heads,,,,I know this from too much experience on this matter. I also heard that if you are running a cam that is not marine. Meaning with the wrong lobe seperation, this can cause water to be sucked into the exhaust. I replaced mine only because I do not know what the hell the dummy that built my motor put in it,,,neither does he :mad:

olds455jet
07-15-2003, 07:00 AM
I defenitly did not put in a marine cam nor did I even think there was one only for marine. I guess I will have to try that.

Taylorman
07-15-2003, 07:45 AM
olds455jet:
I also get a tiny stream of water peeing out of the seal between the block and intake manifold. I am starting to wonder if my intake is warped. Do you mean between the heads and the intake?

dgie
07-15-2003, 08:23 AM
If you get a chance go up to Barnes Noble or local book store and see if they have this book "Big-Block Chevy Marine Performance" they can probably order it if not, it is by Denis Moore. It has really good info in it. Go to page 96 Chapter 11 it talks all about camshaft selection.

Foolish
07-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Can you screw up your valves, cylinder walls, heads, or piston/piston rings via reversion?

olds455jet
07-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Taylorman:
olds455jet:
I also get a tiny stream of water peeing out of the seal between the block and intake manifold. I am starting to wonder if my intake is warped. Do you mean between the heads and the intake? The stream is from the silicone seal between the block and intake manifold.

olds455jet
07-15-2003, 02:18 PM
I am thinking maybe my intake manifold is warped, and causing a leak at the gaskets.

Foolish
07-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Ok well I just pulled off my intake and to my amazement you could see where the intake gasket was blown from water pushing through.
I got the ultra seal intake gaskets. My question is DO I NEED A VALLEY PAN???????

Oldsquirt
07-15-2003, 04:34 PM
Foolish:
DO I NEED A VALLEY PAN??????? Nope.

GottaJet
07-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Check that timing cover...Good Luck GJ

460 jus getn it
07-16-2003, 01:04 PM
what type of exaust are you running???? jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

olds455jet
07-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Log Type, through transom

Duane HTP
07-17-2003, 09:45 AM
We have helped a lot of people with the water in the oil problem. Of course you must use a Mr. Gasket intake gasket, and silicone it on both sides. But you also need to run a water bypass system to keep the high pressure from building up behind the gaskets to start with. Bowl pressures can go over 200 lbs. in a jet pump. That is where the engine water comes from, so you can have way too much pressure for the engine gaskests to hold. Here is a link to our web site.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM
Look at the Article OIL IN YOUR WATER? about 3/4 way down on the Other Performance Parts Page. This kit has solved the problem for many a jet boater over the years.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM

olds455jet
07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. It is great that everyone is so helpful.