PDA

View Full Version : how bad is this

Raskal
06-14-2003, 08:13 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/158P6140229-med.JPG :(
looks like a pain in the ass to replace

disco_charger
06-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Do yourself a favor and have someone do it....

disco_charger
06-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Do yourself a favor and have someone do it....

Raskal
06-14-2003, 08:32 PM
what do you think it will cost. :confused:

boatnam2
06-14-2003, 08:35 PM
raskal you didnt screw up my boat did you?j/k

MikeF
06-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Raskal, I would leave it as is. I do not believe that it will hurt performance at all and you still will not pull anything big into the pump that could damage the impeller. My 2 pennies. :cool:

Hal
06-14-2003, 08:49 PM
You replacing the grate or intake? If its just the grate you can see the 4 screws in the picture you have to remove. Should be easy. You may need one of those hand held hammer type impact screwdrivers to break the screws loose.
I just wonder where the piece that broke off went? You might look up inside when you have the grate out to make sure your impeller isnt damaged. If there are nuts on top you may be in trouble if you can't get to them. In that case I think I would do like Mike said. :D
How you doing Mike?... :)
[ June 14, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Raskal
06-14-2003, 08:53 PM
boatnam2:
raskal you didnt screw up my boat did you?j/k na i just saw it for the first time today .but i did put a couple hours in it today cleaning all up just for you . :D

Raskal
06-14-2003, 08:56 PM
hal
thats what i was going to look at was the impeller but thats did not look damaged at all

wsuwrhr
06-15-2003, 08:15 AM
Raskal, I agree with Hal. EASY fix. Grate comes off with the four flat head screws you see in the front. Do yourself a favor and buy a LOADER grate and replace it. It won't cause any damage to run it that way, but why take the chance? Buy new screws and put some Locktite on the screws when you put them back in. If you don't want to do it yourself, buy the grate and bring it by, I would be more than happy to get you to OP6C in loader grate style. I know REX sells them.
Brian
(owner of a WJ)
Just make damn sure the peice isn't wedged into the impeller, but you said you already checked that.
[ June 15, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Duke
06-15-2003, 08:36 AM
boatnam2:
raskal you didnt screw up my boat did you?j/k \
just curious, did you already purchase the boat?

burbanite
06-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Replace it. Don't take the chance that another piece may break off soon.

BLEWBAYOU1
06-15-2003, 11:49 AM
I'm with the other guys,Replace it with a loader grate and you will definently need one of those hand held impact screwdriver thingamagigy's. to get the screws out. And make sure you tighten the new screws good, then check them after your first use. If the threads are shot or you want it to hold better you can drill out the holes and retap it for bolts to go through with nuts on the inside.
Brian

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-16-2003, 04:20 AM
Raskal,
that looks like a jacuzzi yj/golden eagle intake grate right? Well if it is I happen to have the stock grate off my yj sitting in my garage. perfect condition. Will let it go for 50 bucks.
Omega

MikeF
06-16-2003, 05:14 AM
I am going to change my stance on this :rolleyes: from reading all the other posts and knowing what can happen if the grate/loader breaks and jams inside the intake. Hal has prior experience here!
The now broken grate acts as a "water brake" and throws the hull up on it's nose and then proceeds to (possibly) throw passengers out of the boat eek! . Not good.
Make sure you find some GOOD fasteners for the grate. It is an area you don't want to skimp on for saftey reasons :cool: .

Raskal
06-16-2003, 05:06 PM
omega
yes it is a jauczzi but i still dont know the difference between the two yj and other one.
i might be interested in it .im going to see about a loader type and the the benefets of one thanks for the offer i'll let you know

wsuwrhr
06-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Ouch, you have a YJ pump. Call REX and see what they have,
Brian
[ June 16, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Raskal
06-16-2003, 05:40 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/158P6160248-med.JPG
can any one tell from this pic witch one it is sorry for the stupid ass ? just not sure

Duane HTP
06-16-2003, 07:45 PM
That is the Y series Jacuzzi. We have a good price on the energizer kits if you ever need one.
Duane HTP

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-17-2003, 03:59 AM
Yep that's definitely a yj. I bought one of the "performance grates" about 2 years ago. To be real honest it didn't help a whole lot but a little. They do not sell a "loader" for jacuzzi yj pumps as far as I know. My "performance" grate basically looks like the stock grate with a piece of angle iron on either side of the intake ramped up towards the impeller. Has anyone informed you on how to shim the impeller on the pump. Now that will make a huge difference. tolerances can be brought down to .003 with that impeller design and will make it load much harder and really hook up. My rpm's would run wild before the shim job. Now all I can get is about 5300 rpm on the top end. That is with a 450hp 460 ford turning it. Let me know if you are interested......
Omega

Raskal
06-18-2003, 05:49 PM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
Yep that's definitely a yj. I bought one of the "performance grates" about 2 years ago. To be real honest it didn't help a whole lot but a little. They do not sell a "loader" for jacuzzi yj pumps as far as I know. My "performance" grate basically looks like the stock grate with a piece of angle iron on either side of the intake ramped up towards the impeller. Has anyone informed you on how to shim the impeller on the pump. Now that will make a huge difference. tolerances can be brought down to .003 with that impeller design and will make it load much harder and really hook up. My rpm's would run wild before the shim job. Now all I can get is about 5300 rpm on the top end. That is with a 450hp 460 ford turning it. Let me know if you are interested......
Omega how do you do that .mine has alot of play at the nozzle :confused:

79Hawaiian
06-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Mine was broken just like that and I sucked up a logg when I first bought the boat. I replaced it myself and then rebuilt the pump. The logg did not damage anything but it could have if I was going balls out. I was super easy.

jlnorthrup122
06-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Raskal, I would leave it as is. I do not believe that it will hurt performance at all and you still will not pull anything big into the pump that could damage the impeller. My 2 pennies. I would like to see the ****ing rivers your runnin in. Change it. Also if there are nuts on top where you can't get to them cut the ****ing center section out with a sawsall that'll get you enough room to get to them just use lock washers on the nuts and an air rachet to torque em down.
:p

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-23-2003, 03:39 AM
Raskal,
Okay here we go. On the front seal of the input shaft you will notice there are four bolts holding it on. If you look there should be shims behind this cover. Remove the inspection cover and get a good set of feeler gauges. Remove the four bolts on the front seal cover and you will notice the shaft is free and moveable. Buy an assortment of shims from your nearest jet pump supply store.(they make shims specific to this application)Start adding shims until your clearance between impeller and wear ring are down to .003. I think it took .015 to get me where I needed to be. Although yours could be worse could be better. the feeler guages will tell you everything you need to know. I know this. Mine loads hard enough to keep my 450 hp ford loaded up. Max rpm for me is 5300 rpm. Good luck and holler if you need more help.
Omega