PDA

View Full Version : berkley rebuild kits

bobz
06-12-2002, 03:38 PM
i need a rebuild kit with an AA impellor. what are the kits out there and where is the best place to buy one on the internet?

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-13-2002, 08:34 AM
Go easy on discounts- you may not like what you get. We mfg so I wont spam you -Ask whats diff.between them-Dave

checkmate76
06-13-2002, 10:17 AM
I've got a berkeley JG and the guy I had rebuild it put in a dominator impellor.
he is a licenced bekeley distributor.
I'm not sure why he used dominator but it runs pretty well. maybe the dom impellor is more hi-perf?

SB
06-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Give us your boat and engine specs. Are you having a shop do it, or doing it yourself? I went with Aggressor for my rebuild, and I'm happy. Call them, and call some others to see what kind of support you're going to get.

HammerDown
06-13-2002, 11:47 AM
I also went with Aggressor for my rebuild...very happy!

ChetCapoli
06-13-2002, 01:44 PM
Somebody call my name? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
How about these "fake rolex" cheerleaders here?? Will it ever end. I'm going to take the "high" road here and go with the froggyman's thought process here and say stick to the "originator" and "original parts" when doing your rebuild. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
C.C.Capoli aka chet "contrary" capoli

HYDROMOBILE
06-13-2002, 03:10 PM
I use mainly aggressor rebuild kits, if i use a aggressor empeller or a berkeley, the quality of the kit is exlnt.A customer came in with his own kit , I'm not saying who made it. It had paper gaskets that had shrunk, the bearing had 4 less balls in it, plastic seals not JM seals, I told him i would not assemble it with that kit, I used what i could to keep the cost down. he looked at the differece in the parts and agreed with me, now a happy jetter, just thought i would share that with you, remember when the price is forgotten the quality remains, thanks Jim Brock, Cyclone speed& marine (818)890-1867

bobz
06-13-2002, 04:04 PM
i want a good kit i dont want to do it twice dont mind paying for it once in the begining. berk 12jc with electric jet-o-vator and i will be doing it myself i have a friend at a machine shop helping me put it back together. took it all apart no problems.

bobz
06-14-2002, 12:18 PM
ok all you racers out there is the lipped wear ring better than the stock berkley? and should i get an oversized wear ring for a little more speed.

HYDROMOBILE
06-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Bobz give me a call, buy a kit and I'll guide you thru the rebuild Jim

SoCalPower
06-15-2002, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by bobz:
ok all you racers out there is the lipped wear ring better than the stock berkley? and should i get an oversized wear ring for a little more speed.
I'm not a racer but the drawback with a shouldered wear ring is the transition from the suction piece to the impeller is not as smooth as a non-shouldered wear ring. However, the axial dimensions of the shouldered WR and impeller WR surface fit up well and no addtional machine work is necessary on the impeller shoulder if you are moving the impeller forward during your rebuild. Which you should do.....leading and trailing suction piece to impeller axial clearance should be .025" - .030".
Do not run an oversized wear ring, you will be giving up bottom end thrust and component life....wear rings are available in .005" undersized increments to compensate for impeller wear. I know a few folks who have run .005" WRs on standard impellers but is risky for normal use.
I agree with all that was said about kits. There are distinct differences in kits. Thrust bearings for example. The difference between max type and conrad is # of rolling elements. Radial load rating is significantly greater with max type but axial load rating is only a few hundred pounds different. Radial load rating is not a big concern in jet apps, both bearings have ample radial capacity. The problem that exists when running a max-type bearing is the interference that can occur between the fill slot on the inner and outer rings and the rolling elements. Max types should be used only when thrust is one direction only. In the case of a jet drive, there is thrust in both directions....forward under acceleration and aft under decel. Therefore, max-types should not be used in jet-drives.
Quality of seals, gaskets, packings etc. should all be considered when choosing a kit.
Good Luck

FordTech
06-16-2002, 04:21 PM
www.berkeleyjet.com (http://www.berkeleyjet.com)

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-18-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by bobz:
A lipped wear ring is the only way to go!
Anyone that tells you otherwise is marketing you. No one can show you or prove by any stretch that a lipped wear ring has any impact on performance. Can't be or it is set wrong.Lipped wear ring stop the suction from being taken out by the impeller should the impeller try to screw itself forward. The Lip stops the impeller at that point. We sell 7-10 suctions per year from this mistake.
A undersize wear ring (not oversize) is when your pumpman needs to repair your impeller by cleaning up the wear ring surface (thus a undercut from the original diameter)if he has to take .025 off he will then match the wear ring by replacing the it with a .025 under wear ring. Only if you are hard core racing would I recommend a wear ring under size, you are taking away from your built in tolerance. We do sell a .005 under wear ring which allows .010 per side instead of the .0125 standard if you must. Also Bronze Case hardened wear ring has become our standard which matches or exceeds 316 stainless steel in hardness.
Hope this helps-Dave