PDA

View Full Version : boat prep

brianwhiteboy
08-02-2002, 06:43 AM
I have an 18' Southwind that I'm looking to paint. I'd like to do some of the prep work myself to cut down on cost. Anyone have any suggestions on how to sand several layers of paint off?
I'm not looking to get it done overnight but just wondering how I can get started.

WETDAWG
08-02-2002, 07:06 AM
You might first try and scrape it off. It may be brittle and come off in sheets. That's what happened on my southwind. Be careful not to gouge the gel coat.
When I finished I found out mine was black /blue metalflake
Then sand the rest off. I have a complete set of pictures (not digital) of the entire resto project.
I will try and scan them and if you like I can E mail them to you
Good luck
WD :D

brianwhiteboy
08-02-2002, 07:17 AM
Wetdawg, can you email the pics to BWhite@chiptonross.com
How long did it take you to finish scraping and sanding? Did you use any type of solvent to help soften up the paint?
[ August 02, 2002, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: brianwhiteboy ]

WETDAWG
08-02-2002, 07:58 AM
The prep took most of the winter. I did not use any solvent as I was not sure how many layers of paint & primer I had to go through and I did not want to take a chance on damaging the gel coat
I will E mail pic of the boat at the river 2 weeks ago and next week I scan the others
Good luck
WOOF WOOF :D
WD

WETDAWG
08-09-2002, 05:56 AM
Brian,
I senty you pictures of my restoration from a few years back. Hope you like them
Ted :D