PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler info......

CoastGuardSteve
07-24-2002, 11:29 AM
I am curious......What is the difference between an oil filter location adapter and bracket in regard to marine rated vs. non-marine rated? My new parts from Summit both say " NOT FOR MARINE USE". What gives? The oil filter adapter is the screw on type.
Steve

djdtpr
07-24-2002, 01:11 PM
99.9% of the time the difference is money.Anything that says marine has got to be expensive so u think your getting something special!On your relocater the only difference would possibly be the fittings there probably not stainless.

wideopen545
07-24-2002, 02:44 PM
my locator cam from summit it will work be sure to use big lines for flow i used number 10 lines or 1/2 id and use steel braid its worth the money

BobMacD
07-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Actually there is a good reason for the warning. The unit you are referring to is made from cast aluminum. Cast aluminum is prone to cracking under stress, read vibration. This is inherent to boat motors. The way to go is to use billet pieces. Having said that, I know most boats use the cast pieces without a problem, myself included. But then?

CoastGuardSteve
07-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the new billet parts. What is another $90 anyhow.....I know it's cheaper than a rebuild or a fire.
Thanks again,
Steve